Status
Please reply by conversation.

hank123

COLORADO CONNOISSEUR BUD HUNTER
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 8, 2016
N. Colorado
I have been wanting to have a full C/KU motorized setup running 3 TVs for sometime but did not want to put out the big bucks for a Bullseye II.
I have seen others make C/KU combos that work well.

I ordered a Titanium C2W-PLL and a cheap X2 dual Universal KU LNB.
I removed the plastic covering the X2 KU LNB.
20170308_133429.jpg

Next I cut off the back half of my Titanium C2W-PLL just inside the rear of the LNBF.
I cut to 1/4 of an inch or so above the outputs then used a flat head screw driver to break (was trying to bend)
the rear cover off.
20170308_134504.jpg

20170308_134640.jpg

One thing I found is one of the X2 antenna do not line up with the C2W-PLL.
20170308_135414.jpg

I simply lined up what I thought was V and H between the 2 LNBs.
I first did a rough tune on the C band LNBF then tuned my KU lnb on the back of my LNBF.
This gave me a good idea of where everything lined up at.
I then peaked my C band LNBF as high as I could get it. I moved on to my KU adjusting the skew and angle.
I found the focal point to work fine sitting on the back of the LNBF.
20170308_160141.jpg

With everything marked, a bit of JB weld is setting up to make sure everything is as well as can be.
Once she sets up a bit more testing will be done.
20170308_164450.jpg

To give you an idea of what I am seeing so far in loss and gain;
around 12.2db on the uncut C2W-PLL. 97w 3851V 3532-3/4
12.0db on the cut Titanium C2W-PLL 97w 3851V 3532-3/4
8.6db on my 90cm with a X2 dual LNB 97W 12152H 20000 3/4
10.6db on the modified C2W-PLL 97W 12152H 20000 3/4

More testing to come.

Love to see when people do things like this and post pics!!
Looks pretty good. Look forward to hearing further testing results.

JB weld had set nice in hard this morning.
Something I did not show yesterday was I offset the antenna skew on KU. I found her to be very touchy when lined up, but by doing this I got the best of both worlds.
20170309_095624.jpg

I mounted the quad feed LNBF and tuned C band side in as best I could.
20170309_120750.jpg

I found I had to bump my ASC1 a few clicks on pretty much everything. From what I can tell I have lost NOTHING on C band.
A few transponder I have a hard time getting but I can get them.
11760H on 103W was a bit touchy and still drops a bit 11880H was not an issue.
Makes me love C band even more with how forgiving it is.
20170309_121009.jpg
20170309_115524.jpg
20170309_114135.jpg

has anyone tried the c120 adapter to wr75 on a chaparral with servo

it goes from a inverto quattro lnb c120 output to the wr75 input on a chaparall corotor 2 ku band side on chaparral lnb

making your ouputs as much as u want by x4 x8 etc for ku band universal

i have everything except this adapter found in satellite

upload_2017-3-10_0-24-26.png

like on this guy

im just wondering how am going to need two cable lines for c and ku

because im wondering if i can hook up one line of the

i think my wetek can do the job with dual input

i also hear there will be a new controller not the asc1 tatanium one

that will have more for elevation on motors

i would like to get my hands on a polar mount that

oh and dont forget that polarator controller too

Attachments

• 20150607_1648481_zpsaahkrcsh.jpg
    20150607_1648481_zpsaahkrcsh.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 329
:offtopicit would be nice to have inexpensive ribbon cable too if anyone have a 1000ft spool for cheap let me know

Ask Tom Taylor he may, or Mike Kohl old friends of mine, even Bob cooper or Tim Heinrichs tell them you know me, I picked up a lot of nice friends since 1982 some have passed but for sure even ask on here. http://boards.dishretailer.com/search.php?searchid=360654 go on as a guest throw my name around 99% like me, sure a few hate me for my political views, sorry we can't talk about that here I have buried miles, and miles of that cable all by hand, to many rocks here, and paid the price for it too, lots of damage to my body will ask a buddy in TX David may have some ribbon last time we spoke neither he or me could understand each other, better to type LOL he's burned out too. Hank if you have a satlook with a good CRT the picture tube, I can fix it I have two to three here i dropped with bad CRTsI have 14 by 12 foot shop i need to clean up lots of HTS old dish c-band receivers needing repair going to take to the dump, i made in living in satellite but never got rich on it, there were times i could not even buy food, until i found i could sell to the Portuguese market for there ch Dish and even cable ate that work away from me. Best part was their great people to work for, honest don't try to cheat you on price, they also will even help you, just don't refuse to take their offer of food, it's a very big insult, or their wine, cod fish is great to eat, still have close friends for life from them, and i would say i miss working for them. wish i was younger so i could speak their language better
Gary

Skyvision at Fergus Falls MN might have... think they are still in business. That's where I got my last roll... 12 years ago.. :)

JB weld had set nice in hard this morning.
Something I did not show yesterday was I offset the antenna skew on KU. I found her to be very touchy when lined up, but by doing this I got the best of both worlds.
View attachment 124794

I mounted the quad feed LNBF and tuned C band side in as best I could.
View attachment 124795

I found I had to bump my ASC1 a few clicks on pretty much everything. From what I can tell I have lost NOTHING on C band.
A few transponder I have a hard time getting but I can get them.
11760H on 103W was a bit touchy and still drops a bit 11880H was not an issue.
Makes me love C band even more with how forgiving it is.
View attachment 124796 View attachment 124797 View attachment 124798

So if i see that pic right, the ku scalar is still on it, you did not cut it off?
interesting, i bet it helps significantly?
This is a great mod, thank you for showing us it.

So if i see that pic right, the ku scalar is still on it, you did not cut it off?
interesting, i bet it helps significantly?
This is a great mod, thank you for showing us it.

Correct.
I honestly think that this work better on my rolled aluminum dish then my 10 foot mesh.

I see a couple things that I could do to improve the performance even more down the road, if I have the time and motivation.

Hopefully in the next couple weeks I'll be putting it on a 8-foot Mesh.

please keep the info coming!! if u come up with something more to make it better, I would love to hear it.

The inclusion of the scalar on this C/KU project may improve or worsen the KU performance. The function of a scalar is to null out of phase signals and illuminate the reflector surface at a specific FD ratio and focal distance measurement. Since the KU signals are not being directly reflected from the reflector, but rather traveling through and randomly bouncing around inside an untuned cavity (waveguide), this could result in the KU signals to be presented to the KU probes out of phase. The KU scalar may be attenuating the desirable signals exiting the C-band feedhorn cavity.

The interaction of the scalar at the rear of the C-band tuned cavity will have an undetermined effect on both bands, but I would tend to suggest that it presents an undesirable effect on the KU-band. Instead of using a scalar tuned for a .6 FD, it would probably be better to grind/snip off the rings and insert spacers between the KU section and the C-band cavity to adjust the position of the KU probes fore and aft. Tune the feedhorn for best C-band reception on both polarities, then use spacers to position the KU section towards or away from the C-band feedhorn to optimize the KU performance on both polarities.

Last edited:
Reactions: phlatwound
his results have been better than mine and the scalar is one of 2 differences that i can see so far.
the second one is the back of the c band lnb being removed completely. that is something i will be playing with later on.
I had only opened up a hole big enough for the ku feed horn.

The type of dish I think comes into play. My hydro has a great area for KU vs a mesh dish.

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)