Hard Drive Failure - 311 - Help

theoak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
Idaho
So ... my 722 is pretty much toast.

Last night I got it to work, after a bunch of resets and unplugging. I could use the DVR to surf and watch TV. Any function however that used the hard drive, it would pop up the 311.

Is there a magic key or button sequence that would tell the receiver to reformat the hard drive?

*23[pause][left arrow]34

I get I will lose my recordings ...

I do have a tech visit schedule for Monday ... but that leaves the week-end with no TV - gasp!!! :)

I already have 5 kids ... with no TV ... what is a guy to do ;)

HELP

Usually the only way to get a fully functional DVR when you get that error is to request an exchange from Dish. If the hard drive has failed, all the formatting in the world will not revive the hard drive. You can reformat it until your blue in face and it will still be DEAD!

Like I said ... I have the tech visit scheduled.

Reading the forum ... I see that a lot of folks were just sent a replacement.

Dish did not recommend that at all for me.

I get if the drive is dead ... sometimes however a reformat will let the drive block off the defective areas ... but the drive would still be usable.

Thanks for the feedback.

To my understanding, the error message '311' indicates a hard drive failure. On power-up, the built-in diagnostics checks the components of the Dish Network ViP722 HD DVR. If it senses a failed component, system would halt and display an error message with the numbers corresponding to the part that has failed its check.

The unit has a large internal hard drive that works as the storage media for storing HD programs recorded. Normal repair action calls for replacement of the hard drive.

Goog luck!! I have had this happen several times with my 622.

Crazy. This actually just happened to our receiver as well. Happened out of the blue yesterday. Unplugged, waited 10 seconds, plugged back in. Same problem. I can watch live TV, but no DVR. The system has frozen and rebooted twice, however. No change.

I'm in a chat with DISH right now.

Same receiver, 722k.

Well, all the tech had was a 722K. He said that the don't give out 722s any more. He said 90% of his installs are 722Ks.

Via Dish chat however, they were able to send me an OTA module for the K free of charge. So, I will be down a tuner for a few days, but it all worked out.

I get a new receiver, with new remotes, and I gain a tuner (OTA) out of it. So it worked out.

They're sending us a new receiver. Got them to waive the $15 shipping charge. Got the shipment confirmation this morning so I expect it'll arrive this week.

I have an OTA module that I bought (actually it was free) when I upgraded to the 722k several years ago. I assume it'll be okay to just remove that and put it into the new receiver when I receive it, right?

They're sending us a new receiver. Got them to waive the $15 shipping charge. Got the shipment confirmation this morning so I expect it'll arrive this week.

I have an OTA module that I bought (actually it was free) when I upgraded to the 722k several years ago. I assume it'll be okay to just remove that and put it into the new receiver when I receive it, right?

Correct. The OTA Module is yours.

I don't think there were ANY leased OTA modules. Keep it, regardless. There might be some resale value, if you move quick.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts