Hard drive problem on 508 - keep or replace?

dlsnyder

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
Moreno Valley, CA
Last week I got a "serious hard drive error" message on my 508. Basically the HD wasn't spinning up for some reason. I tried a power button hold down reset and a card pull with no luck. I called Dish and got an RA number since it is still under warranty. I got the replacement 508 on Tuesday and, just for the heck of it, tried one more reset on my current unit, but this time I disconnected the power too. When I turned it back on the unit came back to life working normally, HD and all.

So what is the expert opinion out there? I already have the replacement unit in hand, ready to go. Should I keep my original unit or should I replace it?

I would offload anything you want to keep from your old unit while you still can. Chances are you'll see the problem again in the future.

So you think I should dump any programs I want to keep then send back the old unit? What I was getting at with my original question was whether or not anyone else had seen a similar problem that ended up not being a bad HDD? Do these things sometimes just hang up like that, especially since it is left on all the time? I do have the HDD inactivity feature activated so it isn't spinning all the time.

I don't have a 508 so I can't tell you anything from experience. I just figured that if the HDD is acting up, better get it replaced before it dies completely. But, maybe there is something wrong with the HDD inactivity feature. I have a 522 and I don't think it has such a feature.

I would replace it, but would have on to it for a week while I gave the new one a good workout. Also a nice sturdy 2 by 4 setting right next to the new one will also benefit. :p
Bern

dlsnyder said:
Last week I got a "serious hard drive error" message on my 508. Basically the HD wasn't spinning up for some reason. I tried a power button hold down reset and a card pull with no luck. I called Dish and got an RA number since it is still under warranty. I got the replacement 508 on Tuesday and, just for the heck of it, tried one more reset on my current unit, but this time I disconnected the power too. When I turned it back on the unit came back to life working normally, HD and all.

So what is the expert opinion out there? I already have the replacement unit in hand, ready to go. Should I keep my original unit or should I replace it?

I've seen 50x model receivers display the message one time and after unplugging run for years trouble free.

dlsnyder said:

I am careful to turn off my DVR receivers every night. One morning about 6 months ago I got a similar message from one of my 508s when I turned it on -- the HDD would not spin up. Thinking that maybe the system did not actually issue a start drive command to the HDD because the software was getting flaky, I did a power button reset. But it still would not spin up.

So, as a last resort, I pulled the power plug for 5 minutes and then plugged it back in. The HDD spun up immediately and has worked properly ever since.

My guess is that the software deteriorated to the point that the start drive command was never issued and what controls that is not reinstalled short of a pulled power plug reset. I now make it a point to reboot both DVRs about once a week and so far, there have been no further problems.

YMMV

If your receiver is out of warranty and unplugging it and plugging it back in does not fix the problem then get the $5.99 warranty and get the receiver replaced.

Thanks again, everyone, for your good advice. I kept my original 508 and sent back the RA unit they sent me. I was a bit worried about it anyway since the box it came in actually had some holes punched in it, like someone had kicked it repeatedly. I wonder if some people see the "fragile" label on a box and read "drop kick until it rattles".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts