Harmony 688 Remote?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have a monster central MCC-AVL300 remote and I got my Lights all tvs and recievers and AMPS & Heater & AC on 1 remote I love it.

I have the harmony 890 and I have used it with a VIP211 (with the DVR function enabled) and a DP301.

The 890 is completely compatible. I would think that if the 890 plays well with Dish receivers that the other harmony's would also.

I have used a Harmony 880 and One with the 722 with no problems at all. The best part about Harmony remotes is that you can control what every button does - it should work just fine. A word of warning though, once you have and use a Harmony you will never want to go back to a normal remote again.

I noticed the 688 runs on 4 AAA batteries and the newer ones like the 880 run on rechargables and have a charging station. I wonder how the 688 does on battery life using AAA batteries?

I have an 880. Use it mainly for turning on and off activities, then use the 722 remote most of the time. I have not had to re-do any settings on the 880 for about 3 yrs., yesterday I did go to settings and tweaked a couple settings in the "Watch DVR" activity, plus I am getting a new HDTV today, so I changed the settings to the new tv so I'm ready to go when new tv arrives. I would think that the 890 will be just as easy to program and use.
Dan

Depends on use. I have a Harmony 880 and it runs my TV, 622, DVD burner, CD changer. I had a Harmony 676 and it worked fine as well. I don't remember if that one used batteries. Basically, if a device is controlled by IR, the Harmony can control it.

Biggest thing for a new Harmony user to get used to is that it's an ACTIVITIES based remote, not a DEVICE based remote. Once you get it set up you'll rarely, if ever, have to access the device menus.

I have an 880. Use it mainly for turning on and off activities, then use the 722 remote most of the time. I have not had to re-do any settings on the 880 for about 3 yrs., yesterday I did go to settings and tweaked a couple settings in the "Watch DVR" activity, plus I am getting a new HDTV today, so I changed the settings to the new tv so I'm ready to go when new tv arrives. I would think that the 890 will be just as easy to program and use.
Dan
If I'm not mistaken the 880 and 890 are the the same unit except for the color and that the 890 comes with the wireless extender.

The 890 is a piece of cake to program, just make sure you download the latest updates to your computer so you have the most current control codes.

I would think that the 688 would be just as easy to use.

I noticed the 688 runs on 4 AAA batteries and the newer ones like the 880 run on rechargables and have a charging station. I wonder how the 688 does on battery life using AAA batteries?

I have a Harmony 659. It also takes 4 AAA batteries. I purchased two sets of rechargable batteries for it so I always have a spare set. They seem to last about 1-2 months.

BTW. Harmony remotes are awesome. I put all my other remotes away. It controls. I have ten activities (w/13 devices) set up and it works flawlessly.

I have a Harmony 659. It also takes 4 AAA batteries. I purchased two sets of rechargable batteries for it so I always have a spare set. They seem to last about 1-2 months.

BTW. Harmony remotes are awesome. I put all my other remotes away. It controls. I have ten activities (w/13 devices) set up and it works flawlessly.

I also have a Harmony 659. I use 4 regular Duracell AAA batteries in it. They last me about 8 months or more.

I am using a Harmony 688 with my ViP 622 DVR. Works fine, for the most part. No compatibility issues, it does every function that the original remote does (plus runs all my other gear, too). I use AAA rechargeable batteries, one set in the remote, one set in the charger, no issues there. I'm not a big fan of the buttons, though. they're the rubbery style, and they are definitely showing signs of wear. In fact, the custom buttons that flank the LCD screen are in sad shape. the kids picked away at them, so one 1/2 is missing, the other 1/2 is pretty ragged. Once these fail completely, the remote won't work any more (no way to access the DVR screen, for example), so I'll probably replace this with a newer Harmony. If you already have the 688 or plan to get it for under $50, go for it. But, if you're planning to buy and spend over $50, I'd look at another model with better buttons

Ditto, I have 3 Harmony remotes 676 and 659 x2 and use rechargeables in all of them. They last plenty long between charges.

I also continue to tweak all of the things the remotes control, they do it all and then some.

Thanks for all the info. I am looking at a Harmony 688 on Ebay for $31.00 brand new. Is this the best buy for Harmony remotes or is there a better model you guys prefer that is UNDER $50?

Thanks for all the info. I am looking at a Harmony 688 on Ebay for $31.00 brand new. Is this the best buy for Harmony remotes or is there a better model you guys prefer that is UNDER $50?
Unless you have small finger tips, you won't like the fairly tiny buttons.

I had the 880 for about 3 years and it gave out on me. I liked it for the most part, but was upset it gave out that 'quick' considering it's kind of an expensive remote. It took me a while to get used to the buttons on it.

I then picked up a Harmony 610 a few months ago for around $50. I really like it. It has the rubber-like buttons, which I am a bigger fan of. At a third of the price of the 880, it's a good deal. It can do almost anything my 880 could do, just didn't have the fancier color screen with the graphics. Looks like newegg has some refurb models for $50, so I may order another.

After taking the "cheap" route and trying several other programmable remotes, I bought a Harmony 880. It controls my entire HT setup, easily. Even my MiL finally learned to use it. So I bought a second one for my bedroom HT. Controls everything except the PS3. And if I wanted, there's a product I could buy to enable that, too.

Save money, time and aggravation. Just buy a Harmony. Be real careful checking that any model prior to the 880 actually does all that you need it to, with some room for growth as your system changes.

I have had Harmony 860 (upstairs) and 1000 (living room) for a long time. The best feature is that my wife can operate the entire entrainment system by pushing one button on the Harmony... the only issue for me has been the amount of time to program the units with my multi-room single receiver setup with HD tv in both. :)

However, I am a tech guy and I do tend to tweak a lot and I'm not happy unless things are 100% perfect. :)

I'm on my second 880. I'm looking at getting a URC remote next time. A lot more money but they last for years and years. Probably a URC MX980 but might have to drop back to the MX880 if I don't have enough $$$ for the 980.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)