Harrisburg, PA DMA in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

doug4772

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Lewistown, PA
Dish finally launched the Harrisburg (PA) DMA locals in HD, with the exception of CBS.

I currently am not getting these channels because they on the 77 degree sat. I have a 119/110 dish and a 61.5 wing dish for my HD channels. Living in Central PA, the 61.5 dish was a must have over the 129 sat for signal quality.

I think Dish wants to install a 3rd dish to pickup 77. Is there any way I can get them to install a 1000.4 dish as an existing customer? I really do not want a 3rd dish on my roof. As I understand it the 1000.4 will handle 61/5/72/77 all on one dish.

I have a VIP622 receiver so MPEG4 shouldn't be an issue. If I get my HD programming from 61.5 now, do I need a smart card upgrade or do I already have what I need to view the new HD locals on 77?

Any help would be appreciated. The local dish installer said that Dish Network hasn't really told them what they would pay for if they come out to do a dish upgrade of this nature. Basically, they don't want to install a dish and not get paid fully for it.

Thanks in advance!

Dish finally launched the Harrisburg (PA) DMA locals in HD, with the exception of CBS.

I currently am not getting these channels because they on the 77 degree sat. I have a 119/110 dish and a 61.5 wing dish for my HD channels. Living in Central PA, the 61.5 dish was a must have over the 129 sat for signal quality.

I think Dish wants to install a 3rd dish to pickup 77. Is there any way I can get them to install a 1000.4 dish as an existing customer? I really do not want a 3rd dish on my roof. As I understand it the 1000.4 will handle 61/5/72/77 all on one dish.

I have a VIP622 receiver so MPEG4 shouldn't be an issue. If I get my HD programming from 61.5 now, do I need a smart card upgrade or do I already have what I need to view the new HD locals on 77?

Any help would be appreciated. The local dish installer said that Dish Network hasn't really told them what they would pay for if they come out to do a dish upgrade of this nature. Basically, they don't want to install a dish and not get paid fully for it.

Thanks in advance!

Yes call them up or goto the chat on the dish website, they will remove the old dishes and install the new 1000.4 at no cost or commitment. You also need the new security card you will get it in the mail, after that you will have the 3 HD channels plus your normal channels and CBS in SD

I called and they came right out and installed the 1000.4. There was never any talk by them about the possibility of installing a third dish. I had installed yesterday and it is up and running with the Harrisburg HD locals. There was no charge for the install.

the
I called and they came right out and installed the 1000.4. There was never any talk by them about the possibility of installing a third dish. I had installed yesterday and it is up and running with the Harrisburg HD locals. There was no charge for the install.

I did the same thing; unfortunately, my receiver doesn't have the new smart card, so all the SD channels that were on 119 (and are now on 72.7) are gone, until the smart card arrives.

Do you have a new smart card? If not, do you receive, say, Comedy Central?

Ken

I contacted Dish and they told me I cannot get the 1000.4 as an existing customer. The want to install another wing dish to hit 77. I do not have the new smart cards but I have a VIP622. They said the new smart cards will arrive sometime next year.

Here's the full transcript from Dish. Mpkid123, did you call dish directly or did you go through a reseller? This is really frustrating.

Thanks,
Doug

-----Transcript-----
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Thank you very much. We would be happy to get you installed with what you need to be able to get your HD locals. However, it will not be a dish 1000.4 setup, we will have to install another wing dish for your area.
Douglas Stewart: Why can't you replace the wing dish with a 1000.4
Douglas Stewart: I do not want to have a third dish installed.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Unfortunately, not all of your equipment will work with the 1000.4. Only "MPEG-4" receiver are compatible with that dish. Additionally, existing customers are not eligible for that dish at this time. You also need to have upgraded smart cards, which have not been sent out to you yet.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Unfortunately, without all of those components, the 1000.4 dish will not work for you.
Douglas Stewart: I have a VIP622 which is mpeg4 so that does not restrict me.
Douglas Stewart: The smart cards you can mail me.
Douglas Stewart: Why are new customers getting a better setup that your existing ones?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I apologize, I did not see that the other receiver on the account has been disabled.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: The card are automatically mailed out, and will come within the next year.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: New customers are able to receive this install because all of the new receivers we install them with are MPEG-4, and have the new smart cards in them.
Douglas Stewart: Do I need new smart cards for the additional wing dish?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: We are doing our best to upgrade all cards for our current customers.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: No, you will not need the new card for the wing dish.
Douglas Stewart: Oh wait. I'm sorry
Douglas Stewart: You said I already have the new cards
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: No, I'm sorry, that may have been a typo. you do not have the card that you need.
Douglas Stewart: This is discouraging. I've been sticking with Dish waiting for you to launch these local HD's. DirecTV has had them for over a year. Not to mention they do it all on one dish (SD and HD).
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: But you will receive it in the next year (more than likely much less than a year).
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I am really sorry about that. We will more than likely have a one dish solution available to you at some point. Unfortunately, we just don't have that option right now.
Douglas Stewart: So, if you install an additional wing dish now. I get the new cards sometime next year. After that I should be able, at a minimum, upgrade to a 1000.4 but maybe a single dish solution in the future?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Yes, that is correct. The 1000.4 dish, if you can upgrade to it at some point, will provide you with that one dish solution.
Douglas Stewart: For hd and sd? DOes that mean 119 and 110 will go away?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Though you will want to keep in mind that I do not know when the 1000.4 dish will become available to existing customers.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Correct, we will begin broadcasting the 119 and 110 channels from satellites 77 and 72.7.
Douglas Stewart: I kind of figured that.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: So you would have 77, 72.7 and 61.5 on the 1000.4 dish.
Douglas Stewart: Dish tends to keep the better deals for the new customers.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I apologize that you see things that way. We are trying to transition existing customers to be eligible for the upgrades as quickly as we can, though it is certainly a process.
Douglas Stewart: But Directv's DVR's are horrible so I'll stick with you. :) Thanks for the information. I'll call my local installer and have them put up a additional wing dish for the 77 sat.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I agree (about the DVR's). You are very welcome for the information. Keep in mind we can set up the wing dish install for you as well if you would like.

Mpkid123, where in central pa are you located? I'm in the Lewistown area. That shouldn't make a difference as far as what hardware is available. Just curious.

I contacted Dish and they told me I cannot get the 1000.4 as an existing customer. The want to install another wing dish to hit 77. I do not have the new smart cards but I have a VIP622. They said the new smart cards will arrive sometime next year.

Here's the full transcript from Dish. Mpkid123, did you call dish directly or did you go through a reseller? This is really frustrating.

Thanks,
Doug

-----Transcript-----
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Thank you very much. We would be happy to get you installed with what you need to be able to get your HD locals. However, it will not be a dish 1000.4 setup, we will have to install another wing dish for your area.
Douglas Stewart: Why can't you replace the wing dish with a 1000.4
Douglas Stewart: I do not want to have a third dish installed.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Unfortunately, not all of your equipment will work with the 1000.4. Only "MPEG-4" receiver are compatible with that dish. Additionally, existing customers are not eligible for that dish at this time. You also need to have upgraded smart cards, which have not been sent out to you yet.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Unfortunately, without all of those components, the 1000.4 dish will not work for you.
Douglas Stewart: I have a VIP622 which is mpeg4 so that does not restrict me.
Douglas Stewart: The smart cards you can mail me.
Douglas Stewart: Why are new customers getting a better setup that your existing ones?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I apologize, I did not see that the other receiver on the account has been disabled.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: The card are automatically mailed out, and will come within the next year.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: New customers are able to receive this install because all of the new receivers we install them with are MPEG-4, and have the new smart cards in them.
Douglas Stewart: Do I need new smart cards for the additional wing dish?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: We are doing our best to upgrade all cards for our current customers.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: No, you will not need the new card for the wing dish.
Douglas Stewart: Oh wait. I'm sorry
Douglas Stewart: You said I already have the new cards
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: No, I'm sorry, that may have been a typo. you do not have the card that you need.
Douglas Stewart: This is discouraging. I've been sticking with Dish waiting for you to launch these local HD's. DirecTV has had them for over a year. Not to mention they do it all on one dish (SD and HD).
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: But you will receive it in the next year (more than likely much less than a year).
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I am really sorry about that. We will more than likely have a one dish solution available to you at some point. Unfortunately, we just don't have that option right now.
Douglas Stewart: So, if you install an additional wing dish now. I get the new cards sometime next year. After that I should be able, at a minimum, upgrade to a 1000.4 but maybe a single dish solution in the future?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Yes, that is correct. The 1000.4 dish, if you can upgrade to it at some point, will provide you with that one dish solution.
Douglas Stewart: For hd and sd? DOes that mean 119 and 110 will go away?
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Though you will want to keep in mind that I do not know when the 1000.4 dish will become available to existing customers.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: Correct, we will begin broadcasting the 119 and 110 channels from satellites 77 and 72.7.
Douglas Stewart: I kind of figured that.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: So you would have 77, 72.7 and 61.5 on the 1000.4 dish.
Douglas Stewart: Dish tends to keep the better deals for the new customers.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I apologize that you see things that way. We are trying to transition existing customers to be eligible for the upgrades as quickly as we can, though it is certainly a process.
Douglas Stewart: But Directv's DVR's are horrible so I'll stick with you. :) Thanks for the information. I'll call my local installer and have them put up a additional wing dish for the 77 sat.
(24DrDcb) Juralee S. IOP: I agree (about the DVR's). You are very welcome for the information. Keep in mind we can set up the wing dish install for you as well if you would like.

I call BS, call them, cuz many people have done it and you are the first I heard of that couldn't do it, per dish

I call BS, call them, cuz many people have done it and you are the first I heard of that couldn't do it, per dish

Is there any truth to me losing some SD channels with the 1000.4? Did these customers get the new smart card with the 1000.4 upgrade or did they already have them? I know I do not have the new cards.

I need to follow up (or try it myself) but, I am lead to believe if you are in the Harrisburg or Jacksonville DMA's (only) and you go through a participating retailer you will be installed a 1000.4 pointed at 61.5 and 77... at the price of a new two year commitment or a $59.95 install bill.... at least through Jan 31, 2009. If this is true, then this is really great news. Will have to try when I get off of work tonight.

I need to follow up (or try it myself) but, I am lead to believe if you are in the Harrisburg or Jacksonville DMA's (only) and you go through a participating retailer you will be installed a 1000.4 pointed at 61.5 and 77... at the price of a new two year commitment or a $59.95 install bill.... at least through Jan 31, 2009. If this is true, then this is really great news. Will have to try when I get off of work tonight.

I just spoke with Dish AGAIN. They still maintain that I need an additional wing dish and that the 1000.4 is not available to me. I'm trying a different retailer to see if I can get the upgrade. I'd be happy to sign a 2yr agreement if they install the 1000.4 dish over another wing dish for 77.

They would not tell me if new customers in my area were getting the 1000.4 instead of the three dish setup. I pressed the rep and she couldn't get me more info. She said she was being told that this was the only option.

Someone is feeding a line of BS. If other existing customers in the Harrisburg DMA are getting the deal then there is no reason I shouldn't be eligible.

yeah you should not have any trouble getting this, your the first one I know of that can't, Don't know what else to tell ya, but my parents got it done and have beeen with didh for over 8 years, they live in the lebanon area of PA

Hd locals.

I just spoke with Dish AGAIN. They still maintain that I need an additional wing dish and that the 1000.4 is not available to me. I'm trying a different retailer to see if I can get the upgrade. I'd be happy to sign a 2yr agreement if they install the 1000.4 dish over another wing dish for 77.

They would not tell me if new customers in my area were getting the 1000.4 instead of the three dish setup. I pressed the rep and she couldn't get me more info. She said she was being told that this was the only option.

Someone is feeding a line of BS. If other existing customers in the Harrisburg DMA are getting the deal then there is no reason I shouldn't be eligible.
Yeah i would say someone is bs you because somebody who lives near me just got a eastern arc installed and they were not a new customer they had the same setup i currently have 110/119/61.5 i was wondering myself how they got it when i saw a dishnetwork installer at their house a couple of days ago,i haven't tried to get the eastern arc yet but i'm sure i'll be fed the same BS !!

I wonder if you have to go through a reseller? (snip) Has anyone who has been successful getting the new dish done this through dish or through a local entity?

Since, what I was reading said only the parts of the Jacksonville DMA that are located in Florida and the Harrisburg DMA... I wonder if it is due to some legislation in place in the states of Pennsylvania and Florida. Since it is a localized issue, perhaps that is why you would have to go through a local dish dealer rather than the webchat?

I wonder if you have to go through a reseller? The information I saw pertained to rules dish retailers were to follow... it might be something they are keeping at a local level. Has anyone who has been successful getting the new dish done this through dish or through a local entity?

The people who live close to me had it installed was by a dishnetwork installer because he was driving a dish van,i've had outside contractors come out and they could show up in anything.:eek:

Well, (I really should be doing work right now) when I get home; I am gonna try the "800" number and hope to not get "Bob" from New Delhi. I will report back what happened next...

OH! and to the guy who is having no luck getting the 1000.4, do you have the new smart card?

No, I do not have the new smart card but everyone in my area has had them arrive this week. So, I expect it soon.

PS, I just spoke to a retailer and they said they want to install the 1000.4 dishes and he's going to try and push it through for me. I'm waiting for a call back.

Ok- here is my setup. I have two 622's. I need to have all of my sd channels also. Can I get this setup with the eastern arc thing.

Ok- here is my setup. I have two 622's. I need to have all of my sd channels also. Can I get this setup with the eastern arc thing.

Technically.... you are mpeg4 compatible and should be able to get it. However, you may be in the same boat as me. The key is having all mpeg4 receivers AND tricking dish into installing the more expensive 1000.4 setup. ;)

Good luck.