Has any one went from a genie to a hopper

Jason2746

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
I was thinking about changing to dish been with direct for two years my contract is coming to an end I have been happy with direct but have read a lot of good things about the hopper any feedback from anyone that has had both would be apreciated

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

What are you wanting to do specifically. I would make the suggestion, but it all depends on what you wish to achieve from your tv provider. How many TVs. How many recordings on an average night etc

I would also get a super joy I hardly ever have conflicts with the five tuners on the gennie the main reason I would change is for the new customer pricing and I like the sling features

Lol. Sounds like you got your mind made up. The pricing is a huge benefit. So is it just the two TVs then?

Yes for now have you had both dish and dirrct

I have never subscribed to directv, but my brother does, and has the genie. And I am over there daily for dinner, so I like to play with it. Even walked through with the installer a couple years ago, and helped him install to get that part down. But I used to work for dish and am still a current sub to them. Roommate still does work for them. And all my friends still work for them. Lol. I am a lil biased towards dish, but I still think directv has an awesome product also. I just like dishes more.

I have had dish before to lol I like them both I had my mind made up for sure till I called in to sales not very happy with that experience

Honestly, they are car salesman with a different product. They don't get paid hourly, but on how any sales(with certain kickers). I say get your set up, and for additional support come here or if something minor just call in real quick. Thanks to sat guys and my previous history there, I don't call in ever

I switch from a Genie with a H24 to a Hopper with supper Joey three months ago and could not be happier. Night and Day. Hopper setup wins by a mile. I found not a single aspect of the genie setup superior. My programing cost once out of promotional periods will be within a dollar a month and I forget witch way. As Far as I am concerned the only reason to be with Direct over Dish would be if they offer Programming not available on Dish that you find a "must have" but to me program packages and prices are almost the same and Equipment is far superior.

Reactions: bobvick
What package did you have alajoe I have choice extra now with direct

I changed from DirecTV to Dish two weeks ago. I had a Genie with four HR24 DVR's. I now have three Hoppers and two Joeys. I like the Hopper, ALOT better than the Genie. It is much faster, and has a lot more features. I find the user interface much easier to read. The guide is a lot better too. The dark text on a light background is easier for me to see and read. I really like the ability to organize my recordings into folders, makes them easier to find. I like the Sling feature too, works much better than DirecTV's GenieGo. Really, there is no comparison, GenieGo sucks. I could very rarely get it to work, when it did it skipped all the time, and you could just do recordings, no live TV, and it had to be on a WiFi network, couldn't use my wireless data. Sling is excellent, I use it every day.

Thanks Bob for the info that seems to be the concensus from the people I have talked to what programing package do you have

I have AEP and BB@Home to get Epix. Even though it repeats quite a bit, Epix shows quite a few films that are no where else.

What package did you have alajoe I have choice extra now with direct

I had Choice extra and went with America's top 200 which I found very comparable as there were no channels that I cared about that were in one that were not in the other. Look at what you like to watch and see where your channels are. I got America top 200+showtime+hopper+supper joey+joey+protection package and my bill after the promo period end will be about a dollar from Choice extra+showtime+genie+h21+Hr24+protection package or at least it was less than a doll three months ago when I switched I think they have both had price changes since.l

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403620546.984677.jpg

I have both and I have to say I prefer my hopped over the genie any day! The UI is laid out better autohop is a huge thing for me and the face that I can have as many as 4 hoppers on my account verses only one genie!

Looks funny seeing the genie and the hopper sitting so close together. Looks like the old DISH commercials where they used to spar back and forth over Directv's short comings on programing , etc. :wink

Lol the only reason I have it is because I work for them. And I only posted the picture is because there has been some doubts when I've said I had both in the past!

But yeah I get asked about it all the time. The genie is hardly ever used. Used it when I first had it installed and just didn't care for it. The hopper is the only way to go IMO

I just scheduled my install for July 3 ready to try out the hopper

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts