Has anybody ever actually seen burn in related to aspect ratio?

dankgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
I have seen burn in on old monochrome monitors used on mainframe terminals, and on even on some server monitors that are powered on 24/7 without a screensaver.

However, I have NEVER seen burn in related to aspect ratios. Has anybody here ever actually seen such an occurance?

Personally I don't worry about it much. For a couple years I watched many movies in 16:9 format on my 4:3 PC monitor, but never noticed any burn in effects. Of course I used the PC as a PC most of the time so the screen was full.

Any info or comments are welcome.

--Dan

Dan,
Yes I have a Panasonic 47" projection TV that was originally hooked up to cable.
I began watching all SD in 4:3 and after a few weeks the burn was noticeable.
It was gray bars and since I got away from using the Panasonic 4:3 the burn has faded away.
I am still paranoid about watching anything in 4:3

I am looking forward to seeing the responses. I too am worried about burn-in on my Sony 65" RPTV. But it doesn't stop me from watching all my SD shows in the original 4:3 aspect ratio with the black bars on the sides. I have been watching it like this for about a year and a half now, and I haven't noticed anything yet. Although, I always watch more HD then SD now that I have Voom. :yes

Never seen, but I have heard ...

I have never seen, but I have heard that only the TV's with the grey pillar boxes do this. I have been running 4:3, 1080i upconvert for my SD for about a month now and have seen no ill effects on my 55" Samsung RTPV.

I have a 48 inch Mitsubishi 48313 that has some small amount of burn-in on each side due to 4x3 programming. It does happen. This is a unit I bought in February of 2004.

My wife works in the ER department where they use 40" Sony plasma tvs. I did notice burn of grid lines from the charting system they use on the monitor when you switch over to a different screen.

that must be one rich ER! Must not be county :)

I have seen report on avsforum and hometheaterspot of pillar bars burn in even on a properly calibrated set (contrast turned down). So I think if you watch enough 4x3 stuff with bars w/o watching enough 16x9 stuff to even it out, you'll get burn in. Having contrast set too high just accelerates the process.

You should rephrase this to "Displays that have been properly calibrated" then the answer will be a lot less "Yes", unless they are a Home Shopping Channel addict, no further comment necessary. A coworker's screen actually got fried from this logo, he had an older RPTV and the logo was visible with the picture off.

Burn In and 4:3

Just got rid of a Toshiba 50" RP, stupid thing displayed light gray bars in 4:3. They burned in.

Not so with my Mitsubishi 62" DLP...

:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)