Has anyone been successful in teaching new codes to remote on Hopper 3 ?

Ozwaldo

Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
CA
I have had the H3 for about a week. I have not been able to teach the 40.0 or 52.0 remotes new commands for the TV and Aux modes using the UI. I go through the steps but the commands never get saved to the remote. I was able to get the 40.0 just the way I wanted on the original hopper. Am I missing something ?

Last edited:
Reactions: John Campbell
I programmed an old TV and my Projector, make sure the remotes aren't too close. 4 inches, after putting the remote in Learning mode, you press the button you want to program, press the button you want to assign to it and the remote will blink 3 times, if it doesn't blink, it didn't get it. When you're done, press the SAT button and it should blink again telling you it was saved. The only button I couldn't program was the TV power button. I just assigned the power to the recall button since we never use that.

You can't directly program the TV power button. The way to program it is when programing the TV mode you program the unlabeled power button on the 52.0 remote or the BIG power button on the 40.0 remote.

I programmed an old TV and my Projector, make sure the remotes aren't too close. 4 inches, after putting the remote in Learning mode, you press the button you want to program, press the button you want to assign to it and the remote will blink 3 times, if it doesn't blink, it didn't get it. When you're done, press the SAT button and it should blink again telling you it was saved. The only button I couldn't program was the TV power button. I just assigned the power to the recall button since we never use that.

Is there a manual way to put in in Learning Mode? I can't get it to learn the commands from my soundbar when following the on-screen instructions. It's programmed for the soundbar in AUX mode, but the setting to use volume for the AUX device won't save from the UI interface. Having to click AUX just to adjust volume is not going to fly with my wife.

Is there a manual way to put in in Learning Mode? I can't get it to learn the commands from my soundbar when following the on-screen instructions. It's programmed for the soundbar in AUX mode, but the setting to use volume for the AUX device won't save from the UI interface. Having to click AUX just to adjust volume is not going to fly with my wife.
It may be easier to get a new wife.

You can set the remote to use the volume button to control to adjust the volume on the a/ v receiver instead of the tv.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

I set my hopper 3 to do that using the menu on the hopper itself. The only time I reach on the side for the a/v button is to turn the a/ receiver off . Just check under the remote control icon.

I set my hopper 3 to do that using the menu on the hopper itself. The only time I reach on the side for the a/v button is to turn the a/ receiver off . Just check under the remote control icon.

I run Hopper to av to tv so when I hit tv power cec also turns off av. No more side buttons at all.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
This is an old thread, but I'm also having a problem "teaching" my 54.0 Dish remote. This remote is paired with a 3.0 Joey. I mention that because it appears there's some 2-way communication going on there with the Joey directing the 54.0 Dish remote to "learn" the 3rd party remote codes.

I've reviewed the steps that are to be followed to make sure I'm doing it exactly as directed under the "teach" option.

I get all of the following results, none consistently:
- in programming 2 or more buttons, only one of the "taught" command is learned by the 54.0, and it's assigned to the wrong button
- in programming 2 or more buttons, the same command is learned by more than one of the 54.0 remote's buttons
- at the end of the steps, in saving the "taught" command, I get "unknown error. try again later". Or it blinks as if successful... but it's not.
- often, the Dish remote doesn't acknowledge (with a blink) that I've sent a command from the 3rd party remote
- if I use "start with clean slate", it doesn't. When I'm done, there are still residual commands programmed for buttons in the AUX mode.
- if I program an arbitrary listed device in an attempt to "reset" all of the buttons to some other state, I get the message "only 4 different brands of devices can be programmed to your remote in one day. Try again tomorrow". WTF is that all about?

I tried to "teach" a different 54.0 remote, one that was paired with my Hopper 3. Same arbitrary results.

BTW, the 3rd party remote is for controlling a Pyle PCAU46A amp.

I find that some of the programmed buttons only send out a short burst of code, not long enough in some cases for the device to recognize. I also find that sometimes I have to push the aux button several times to get the codes to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)