Has anyone called and got their DirecTV bill reduced? Share your stats here!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

favoriteshows

Original poster
Jul 13, 2013
Seattle
I'm trying to collect/compile info on how successful people are in negotiating down their DirecTV bills. I'll share my stats (below) and I'm hoping people can share their own stats so we can glean best practices.

And if you haven't already called to get your bill down, do so now :)

When I called: June 2013
How long I've been a subscriber: 2 years
What I was paying: $130/month with HBO, Cinemax and a few other stuff
What I got: $30 off/month total - including $5 off for each movie channel and $20 off the basic package.
What worked: I started off my saying I was looking at cancelling, thinking of just going with Netflix and Hulu. They transferred me to someone and that person reviewed my bill and I was able to convince him I deserved these cuts.

How about anyone else? Here's a format to use:
When I called:
How long I've been a subscriber:
What I was paying:
What I got:
What worked:

I have called in the past & got some credits here & there, but no luck more recently. I suspect since they had to replace two DVRs that crapped out on me not too long ago, I am flagged for no promos or price breaks or anything...

I have called in the past & got some credits here & there, but no luck more recently. I suspect since they had to replace two DVRs that crapped out on me not too long ago, I am flagged for no promos or price breaks or anything...

Unfortunately, once they flag you your kind
of blacklisted for a while.

Ive been there..Its been three years since I received
credits or equipment breaks.
Through no fault of my own.

I almost left over it...Then they finally did something for me.
Have not been thrilled with Directs customer service these days.
They are last on my list compared to other providers.

My humble opinion of course.

lern4483, do you know why they "finally did something" for you? Was it just you pushing harder? Or was it just (you think) enough time had passed. How much did you get?

When I called: June 2013
How long I've been a subscriber: 3 years
What I was paying: $104/mo + NFL ST Max
What I got: $45/mo off for 12mo, $15/mo off for months 13-15, NFL ST + Redzone free, premium channels free for 2mo
What worked: Saying I wanted to save money and was looking at other options. Wanted to see if I was eligible for discounts, possible similar to what new customers were getting.

More Info: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/313426-Discount-Success-Story

lern4483, do you know why they "finally did something" for you? Was it just you pushing harder? Or was it just (you think) enough time had passed. How much did you get?

Good questions
My contract was up. After speaking to a CSR,
She said it did not make sense why I could not get discounts/promos after such a long period.
So I emailed office of president. I told them
I was leaving because I was being treated poorly.
They called me and offered 150 credit for an HR44. I took the deal. However I had to buy it outside direct tv. When I called back to activate unit and get my 150 credit, office of president bumped it down to 100 bucks. Reason being I bought unit outside of Direc.

I took deal only because I watch Ny football
With my dad. Not sure how many Sundays we will enjoy together.
But it left me once again feeling awful that I stayed with Direc.

Customer service is the pits!!!
Sorry folks I really don't like them anymore.
Love the service but I'd really like to say goodbye.

Several keys to get discounts.

Pay your bill on time. Direct is like other companies that want to hang on to people they can count on to pay their bill in full and on time EVERY month.
If your out of contract or close to being out of contract Direct will listen.
I called last month with a year left on my contract and called and simply asked how much longer do I have on my contract. I immediately was connected to retention. They were very generous in giving me more credits along with my existing credits.
Good luck!

I have $31 in credits plus free Genie upgrade minus the $20 shipping, and I had a year left on my 24 month commitment, Key is paying on time and talking to retentions.

I have $31 in credits plus free Genie upgrade minus the $20 shipping, and I had a year left on my 24 month commitment, Key is paying on time and talking to retentions.

All correct. Except be careful not to accept too many credits.
Ask the question will I be flagged because of this.

All correct. Except be careful not to accept too many credits.
Ask the question will I be flagged because of this.

I never heard the term flagged because they offer it not really asking directly for it, when all I'm asking for is the contract expiration date or promotional premiums, Unless you abuse the system and that's all you call for.

What I think is happening IMO, is that if you have enough credits and is still current (not expired) they won't give anymore credits, unless you refer a friend with your account number or bundle with telco, if the credits expired they may or may not give extension of the same credits it depends on your payment history, it's a lot easier when your contract expires in hopes to still keep you as a customer and maybe throw in a discounted/free upgrade.

Yep as soon as you see you credits expire off ur bill call the next month and most of the time they will add them back or look for better deals.

I receive $40 off my bill each month. Have so for almost a year and half currently. I have been with Directv for over 12 years and haven't been under contract for numerous years. Yes, my equipment is old but I don't like the 2 year contract. I figure that if I get free equipment upgrades that it would cost me $480 in credits. I did call a couple of years ago because I was going to switch to comcast to save a little money and they threw in the credits and it is now getting closer to 2 years that I have been getting them.

I called and got 20 off for 12 months with another year agreement which doesnt make sense because Im only 14 months into a 24 month agreement so it only tacked on another 2 months onto my current contract length. Ill take it!!

I called and got 20 off for 12 months with another year agreement which doesnt make sense because Im only 14 months into a 24 month agreement so it only tacked on another 2 months onto my current contract length. Ill take it!!

How can they add a 12 month commitment for just receiving credits? Unless you got free Sunday Ticket.

Sent from my iPad 2 using SatelliteGuys

Well actually they only added 2 months onto my contract since I was already under contract. But I see what you're saying. Maybe I will call and see if I get it

My dad called today and got 20 off for 12 mos 3 mos showtime 6 mos starz and free ST. So I had to call back again. So I got free ST and and 15 off for 15 mos

Several keys to get discounts.

Pay your bill on time. Direct is like other companies that want to hang on to people they can count on to pay their bill in full and on time EVERY month.
If your out of contract or close to being out of contract Direct will listen.
I called last month with a year left on my contract and called and simply asked how much longer do I have on my contract. I immediately was connected to retention. They were very generous in giving me more credits along with my existing credits.
Good luck!

I rarely pay my bill on time but never go into a level 1 disconnect, and maintain my status as a valuable customer thanks to occasional PPVs.

Typically only try and get discounts around football season also.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone for your comments. I compiled the feedback I got here and other forums.

Highlights of my research:

• On average, customers were able to reduce their bill by $22/month.
  • Calls with DirecTV took between 5 and 20 minutes
  • Customers who were not able to reduce their bill fell into two catagories: They were either in their first 6 months of using the service, or they had a history of paying bills late.
  • Customers who had been with DirecTV for 5+ years had the greatest success, with an average savings of $26/month.
  • For each $10 in premium services they had (HBO, Showtime, etc.) customers were able to save on average an additional $1/month.
Here's a link detailing the results and my overall recommendations for negotiating with DirecTV:

http://haggleroo.com/pages/negotiating-your-bill-tips-and-tricks-directv-comcast

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)