Has anyone had a non-standard configuration install yet?

seenett

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 17, 2012
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Judging by posts here and my phone calls with DISH, there seems to be a standard, routine number of Hoppers and Joeys that can be easily ordered and installed. For example, you can't have more Hoppers than Joeys (no 2H1J) or you can't order more than 2 Hoppers and 4 Joeys. Any combination in between seems to be the norm.

The technical limitation (posted elsewhere) is 3 Hoppers and 9 Joeys. I have been told myself by DIRT, regular customer service, and the Executive team that I could have 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys. The problem is no one seems to be authorized to set me up with a 2H6J system. Everyone I have talked to says I need to talk to "Account Services" - they take my account number and preferred phone number and tell me to expect a call from them to set it up. Last week I was told I'd get a call within 24 hours. When I called back to check a few days later, I was told I'd get a call within 48 hours. The call never comes, and everyone I talk to at DISH tells me to keep waiting for a call. It's been well over a week.

So my question: Has any been through this entire process? Has anyone successfully had a non-standard type install, like 2H1J or more that 2H4J?

I have been told myself by DIRT, regular customer service, and the Executive team that I could have 2 Hoppers and 6 Joeys. The problem is no one seems to be authorized to set me up with a 2H6J system. Everyone I have talked to says I need to talk to "Account Services" - they take my account number and preferred phone number and tell me to expect a call from them to set it up. Last week I was told I'd get a call within 24 hours. When I called back to check a few days later, I was told I'd get a call within 48 hours. The call never comes, and everyone I talk to at DISH tells me to keep waiting for a call. It's been well over a week.
If i remember reading correctly one of the DIRT members said they were severely backed up on calls because of how small that particular department is. I guess they weren't prepared for the number of customers that wanted installs over the basic lease limits. I also recall someone else on this forum saying that it took a while for a call back, but it did get taken care of eventually.

The 1J/1H rule seems to be a whole different beast. Schermann made it sound like it's largely due to the fact that the integration software isn't released and it would be fairly misleading to call a 2 Hopper system something that is "whole home". Basically a marketing issue due to the current limitations. I suspect after the integration software, they'll make it easier for customers to do this without hassle.

Last edited:
Zach w/ DIRT was able to set me up with a 2H/1J system upgrade. He had to deactivate one of my receivers at the time of the order to force it through their system.

I was told 2H and 4J were the max for me. I bought the 5th J and had the installer authorize it while he did my install.

Yes two hopper/one Joey for me took a few calls and some polite reasoning with the dish CSR's I was able to make it happen.

My reasoning was I was that with three tv's I would need two hopers and I have one hopper on its own and the second hopper which is in my basement tied to a Joey in bedroom, we're not watching tv all the time in the basement thus conflicts are very unlikely with the basement/bedroom hopper Joey combo, also I brought up the fact that if one hopper goes I lose all tv. I think they were impressed I knew this-Thanks to the satellite guys of course, tech was impressed as well!

It will be great though once hopper intergration happens :)

I have talked to the Dish "black ops ... his definition, not mine" and in fact you can have 3 Hoppers. He also explained that I would have to buy the 3rd Hopper if I wanted to do that since the "Upgrade discount was only 2 Hoppers". At the end of the conversation, he made sure I understood that if I wanted to do the upgrade that I had to call or email him personally to make this happen. Because of budget restraints, I will do this but at a later time.

If you want to follow up on this contact a DIRT member and they will have someone call. It took over a week for me to get my call back, but I did get the call back.

I was also able to get a 2 Hopper/1 Joey system. I called the number on the Dish website the day they went on sale. I am a new customer.

Zach w/ DIRT was able to set me up with a 2H/1J system upgrade. He had to deactivate one of my receivers at the time of the order to force it through their system.

wow, Zach lied to me! He told me that he could NOT do this! What a sham, how knows what is going on day to day. Always changing what can and can't be done. I know when the install shows up at my door, I will now simple state 2 hoppers and 1 joey, and if they will not do such an install, I will send them away and try again... just feel sorry for all the installers that have to deal with dish great service of disorganization.

wow, Zach lied to me! He told me that he could NOT do this! What a sham, how knows what is going on day to day. Always changing what can and can't be done. I know when the install shows up at my door, I will now simple state 2 hoppers and 1 joey, and if they will not do such an install, I will send them away and try again... just feel sorry for all the installers that have to deal with dish great service of disorganization.

Are you a new customer?? Like I said he had to jump through some hoops with their computer system to make it work for me. He had to disable one of my receivers to allow the order to go through, we had to go without tv in the bedroom for about a week while we waited for our install...
I still don't know why that's what it took for it to work.

I placed my 2H 1J order yesterday, now I'm just waiting for installation. It took several calls to get it done. I learned that there is a "magic word" you have to say when talking to the CSRs to get what you want. The second you say this magic word they immediately, and I mean immediately, transfer you to another rep that will bend over backwards to get you what you want. Each time I said this magic word the responce was immediate. Are you ready for it......."Direct TV" :)

Are you a new customer?? Like I said he had to jump through some hoops with their computer system to make it work for me. He had to disable one of my receivers to allow the order to go through, we had to go without tv in the bedroom for about a week while we waited for our install...
I still don't know why that's what it took for it to work.

Not a new customer, have a 722 and a 612. This is what Zach sent to me on 3/22 "Correct, each Hopper upgrade is required to have at least one Joey. The only exception is when an account has a single dual tuner DVR. This will allow us to upgrade to just a Hopper but any additional Hoppers would require a Joey. I can not speculate on things that may or may not happen in the future. "

So if I read this right, if I had dropped the 722, the 612 would then be a " single dual tuner DVR", and I could of done this. Sad thing, Zach never offered that option to me and missed the fine line detail. Guess I will see what the installer says tomorrow as my install is set for then.

"Lied" is far too strong a word. The rules, shall we say, appear to be "fluid" right now. Stay tuned for further changes.

It may be months before Dish settles on actual, enforced rules/guidelines. And they can always change them based on market and inventory.

I just spoke with someone from the executive team and they approved 1H+0J. I explained that I had a ViP922 and was not happy with it. Promised features like BBMP (aka Blockbuster OnLine) are still missing and Sling locks up the 922 requiring reboot. The person I spoke with has a 922 and understood my frustration. He was happy to facilitate the upgrade. Install happens Thursday morning this week.

I placed my 2H 1J order yesterday, now I'm just waiting for installation. It took several calls to get it done. I learned that there is a "magic word" you have to say when talking to the CSRs to get what you want. The second you say this magic word they immediately, and I mean immediately, transfer you to another rep that will bend over backwards to get you what you want. Each time I said this magic word the responce was immediate. Are you ready for it......."Direct TV" :)

Actually, I tried that...got transferred to retentions, but they insisted you can't do that configuration, period. Glad it worked out for you...but nothing is consistent at this point.

I now have a 2H/5J setup running.

DISH did the original 2H/4J setup. I purchased a 5th Joey from Solid Signal and self-installed. Couldn't have been easier; the Joey even authorized itself through the Hopper. I did have a problem getting my hands on an "official" Dish approved 3-way splitter for the 5th Joey (they're back-ordered), but found that Ideal makes a series of 5Mhz-2.4GHz splitters that out-spec the Dish approved splitters. Used if for this install and still have full strength MOCA readings.

I now have a 2H/5J setup running.

DISH did the original 2H/4J setup. I purchased a 5th Joey from Solid Signal and self-installed. Couldn't have been easier; the Joey even authorized itself through the Hopper. I did have a problem getting my hands on an "official" Dish approved 3-way splitter for the 5th Joey (they're back-ordered), but found that Ideal makes a series of 5Mhz-2.4GHz splitters that out-spec the Dish approved splitters. Used if for this install and still have full strength MOCA readings.

Thanks for the PM and for posting here -

I talked to my local retailer, and they are working on getting 6 Joeys authorized for me. Glad you mentioned the 3-way splitter. They had told me the same thing; DISH doesn't have them but they order from a 3rd party for their installs. Hopefully I'll get my 2H6J installed this week. At the very least, I'll do what you did - start with 4J and add the rest when things settle down.

I spoke to a DIRT member, added my name to some type of 'non-standard list' (2 hopper and 5 joeys), was told to expect a call and nearly two weeks later I still haven't been called :(.

I had my 2H/1J installed yesterday, install was from 8:45-4:45, with a two hour break to get Duo Node. The installer came to install 1H/1J and I said I changed my order to 2H/2J and he was to take 1J making my install 2H/1J. After a few calls and me talking to the manager (he was trying to talk me out of 2H's) The install began without the Duo node, he swtiched out my dish and activated one at a time. He came back later with Duo and all went well, I have 2H/1J and a HIC. The installer did have one bad joey, but he tried another one without activating it prior and it worked. All devices say they are connected to the internet. Issues - PTAT said it was recording but no events ever showed up. Does it take a day? Also, when I go to Blockbuster at home (BBAH) and On Demand, then just take me back to Live TV. Will this issues fix themselves with time? Also, when I log into dish, only One hopper shows it has internet activity. I did do a 'Send status' this morning, not sure if that made a difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts