Has anyone made a mini-headend at home?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Thanks for all your time on that post. I may end up doing this at some point but now I have an elderly father who can no understand anything except channel up and down, volume up and down. Thats why I wanted it over ATSC or QAM, to use the tv's tuner.

That is exactly the reason hotels want a head-end instead of STBs in rooms. Many people can't or won't learn the steps beyond On/Off Channel Up/Down Volume Up/Down.

With FTA stuff, depending on the box, you can set up channel Favourites which can make it easier except for the delay if there is a motor in play.

Reactions: olliec420
That is exactly the reason hotels want a head-end instead of STBs in rooms.
I doubt this. I submit that the hotels want to drive people to content that they can up-charge for.

Unless the channel location relationship can be maintained from property to property, there's not much point in having a linear arrangement. That said, I think it can be frustrating trying to choose programming from a list when all you want to do it watch something.

Catering to a population that is likely to be replaced sooner than later by viewers that don't romanticize tuning dials is folly. I've observed that as viewers age, their channel line-up thins to less than a handful of channels until they perhaps lose interest in changing channels altogether.

Catering to a population that is likely to be replaced sooner than later by viewers that don't romanticize tuning dials is folly. I've observed that as viewers age, their channel line-up thins to less than a handful of channels until they perhaps lose interest in changing channels altogether.

As I have aged I have noticed three things that would cause me to change my viewing habits, particularly if I were still watching "appointment" TV:

1) I have a much greater tendency to fall asleep in the middle of a show, particularly if it's boring. Maybe several times!
2) Some programs these days have poor audio quality (audio techs must be sleeping through the program too!) and it is hard to understand what's being said. I would say my hearing is going bad, and that may well be (too much loud music as a kid!) but then again I do not encounter this issue on all shows, just certain programs.
3) My memory is not what it used to be (and it was never that great) so I have trouble following the extended plot lines that last an entire season. Therefore I tend to slightly prefer episodic shows where each episode is pretty much standalone, in other words you don't need to have watched previous episodes to figure out what's going on.

#1 isn't really an issue because I record everything and if I fall asleep, when I wake up I just jump back to the last thing I remember seeing. #2 there isn't much I can do about, other than avoid poorly-mic'ed shows. #3 isn't enough of an issue yet that I avoid watching series, but the ones I can binge-watch are more enjoyable for obvious reasons (I can remember something I saw an hour ago a lot more easily than something I saw a week ago).

Now, if I were in a room with cable and no PVR capability, I think my first choice might be something like HGTV or some other network that shows programs that require no previous viewing to understand.

One thing that may be slightly different about me than others of my generation is that I don't much care for watching anything so old that it's in standard definition, and that goes double if it's in black and white. I just don't get people who are into the nostalgia TV craze. Most of those old shows aren't that great in my opinion. The other thing I would never do is sit around and watch religious or news channels all day - I don't need anyone trying to tell me what to think, I had to put up with that crap way too much when I was younger and I'm damn well not going to put up with it now. I watch shows I want to watch, and if there's nothing on I want to watch I'll find an interesting video or just turn off the damn TV!

I do think that younger people may somewhat underestimate the ability of older people to learn new things, such as a new remote. What I have observed is that often younger people aren't always patient enough to teach an older person how to do something. They are used to dealing with their peers, to whom they can demonstrate a complex process once and that's sufficient. But with older people you might need to demonstrate something several times, and often if we sense you are getting frustrated and annoyed we'll just shut down and say "it's too hard" because we don't want the conflict, or being made to feel like we're idiots. And then again there are times when we wonder who in the hell is designing things like remote controls, that they make them so difficult. Again, it goes back to memory issues - it's way easier to remember half a dozen buttons than the 30 or 40 that appear on some remotes, and it's even easier if we can find those buttons easily. Personally I use a Harmony remote to control my devices and one of the nice things about it is that if a label on a button doesn't make sense you can change it, and you can also move your most-used buttons to the top of the list. Now, I am not talking about older people who have dementia - once that sets in, anything you teach them will probably be forgotten the next day (or in 30 seconds depending on the severity), but not all older people get that, and even those that do sometimes don't get it until they are in their 90's or later.

Anyway not all older people are alike, and we don't all romanticize tuning dials, nor do we all get to a stage where we lose interest in changing channels!

I doubt this. I submit that the hotels want to drive people to content that they can up-charge for.

Unless the channel location relationship can be maintained from property to property, there's not much point in having a linear arrangement. That said, I think it can be frustrating trying to choose programming from a list when all you want to do it watch something.

STB's = calls to front desk by confused (mostly older and/or foreign vistors) guests
TV only = people watching TV

I have some channel plus SD modulators for next to nothing 2 3025 mods , and some other analog tuning units. If going sd is an option.

Has anyone done this in a cheaper way than buying a bunch of these VECOAX MINIMOD-2? They look great but the 10 pack blade is over 5k. I guess thats not bad if you think about that is only a little more than 2 years of cable service.

Combining all the fav channels from all the fav birds to ATSC then combine in the OTA locals... would be a pretty sweet setup. Need a lot of receivers but the cheap-o's like several v7's or something would work on a budget.

Does anyone know of any old cheap surplus headend equipment (like something from the 2000s that no one wants anymore) that will do this better/cheaper? Those probably only have SDI input as opposed to HDMI so I would need receivers with SDI output. Maybe pc dvb-s2 tuners would be better?

If anyone has such a setup at the house, I'd love a photo/video tour of it!
I have 4 pico macom modulators combined with my ota antenna. Two security dvrs, one dish net VIP 222, a free to air c band box.

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

If you're interested I would sell the two Thor Broadcast modulators I bought last year. After this discussion I decided to pull them out this weekend and give setting one of them up a shot. As soon as I plugged it in the wife immediately vetoed it going where it needs to go to access the TV cables because it makes noise. It does have a fan (it isn't unreasonably loud, but it is noticeable when it is running). I guess if I ever get around to actually setting something up I'll have to buy the fanless versions.

If you're interested I would sell the two Thor Broadcast modulators I bought last year. After this discussion I decided to pull them out this weekend and give setting one of them up a shot. As soon as I plugged it in the wife immediately vetoed it going where it needs to go to access the TV cables because it makes noise. It does have a fan (it isn't unreasonably loud, but it is noticeable when it is running). I guess if I ever get around to actually setting something up I'll have to buy the fanless versions.

Would ya shoot a photo of one over, front and back for grins?

Depending on the cost, I maybe interested also.

Would ya shoot a photo of one over, front and back for grins?

Depending on the cost, I maybe interested also.

Here are some photos I took tonight. I sent you both a PM with some other links too, but for some reason you can't "attach" in a PM. If you're interested just make me an offer. I bought these as a Black Friday Special, so I didn't pay the website price you likely see online for these.

Attachments

• Photo Sep 02, 7 41 01 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 02, 7 41 01 PM.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 178
  • Photo Sep 02, 7 40 50 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 02, 7 40 50 PM.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 169
  • Photo Sep 02, 7 40 24 PM.jpg
    Photo Sep 02, 7 40 24 PM.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 163

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)