Has anyone managed to see St Louis or Detroit LIL HD yet?

nazz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2006
I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for my chance to get Indy from 118.7 and was curious if anyone in Detroit or St Louis markets has actually seen their locals in HD yet. If so how do they look off of this bird?

I'm still trying to find a retailer that will ship me a dish so I can get it up. I am trying to get pricing and two of three retailers don't have that yet either.

I think this is going to be ugly trying to get these dises for a few months.

Imagine, E* lauching something with no inventory or information out there - go figure!

masterdeals said:
I'm still trying to find a retailer that will ship me a dish so I can get it up. I am trying to get pricing and two of three retailers don't have that yet either.

I think this is going to be ugly trying to get these dises for a few months.

Imagine, E* lauching something with no inventory or information out there - go figure!

Why don't you call dishnetwork and get a free upgrade? Thats what I did.

I am in Detroit and have the local package and also an OTA antenna. The PQ for my locals over the dish is pretty good. The only thing is that the NBC local is not broadcast yet over the dish and of course you don't get sub channels with the dish.

SALvation said:
I am in Detroit and have the local package and also an OTA antenna. The PQ for my locals over the dish is pretty good. The only thing is that the NBC local is not broadcast yet over the dish and of course you don't get sub channels with the dish.
You should check WDIV-DT1 on the dish now. :D

It's very encouraging to hear someone with their locals both OTA and from E* via 118 comparing them favorably. :)

Yep, when I got home from work I noticed WDIV (NBC) now comes in and the quality is almost as good as my OTA antenna. Now I just need FSN by hockey season and I'll be all set.

When did they release WDIV NBC? I must have missed that in the uplinks, if it was listed. I just checked and it is in my guide.

For the person that asked why not just call dish and get a free upgrade - I have 'moved' to Detroit, I'm really in the Perry area between Lansing and Flint. Getting the 118 gives me HD feeds from Detroit, Lansing, and Flint, not to mention the ability to record multiple network programs at the same time - the real reason I wanted the upgrade.

I haven't had an opportunity to watch much on the HD LiL yet, but it is encouraging to hear others say they look good.

Now we just need two things: TV20 for HD Sports (Pistons and soon Tigers in HD) and FSN Detroit HD, which has Tigers NOW and soon Wings and Pistons in HD.

A second reason I want to purhcase my own dish - I own all me equipment, so I can come and go from E* as I wish. If I switch to something else, I can resell all my equip including the dish.

With a lease they would make you return the LNBs. I would assume that if they provide you a new dish at no charge they maintain ownership of the new dish.

Thanks John.

I believe I missed that while I was trying to outrun the series of storms that came through Michigan yesturday. I was in a campground using a pop-up camper when the storms hit yesturday. We managed to secure most of our stuff except the camper iteself when we had to run for shelter. When the first storm had cleared we had enough time to take down the camper, throw everything in my truck and head home. While working before we ran away I saw two trees fall, several branches flying in air, and one power line come down about 20 feet from us.

Once we took off another storm came through about 20 mins later and made for a challenging drive. We saw fire crews and voulenteers all over securing downed power lines. Reports from the power companies in MI are over 200k homes without power, with some expected to be out till Friday and beyond.

Needless to say I am VERY disappointed with the Sunday forcast of "mostly cloudy" for Monday that we used when we decided to go camping. We planned for Sunday thru Tuesday, and I was just glad to be alive come Tuesday.

kenny911 said:
Why don't you call dishnetwork and get a free upgrade? Thats what I did.
I called them today and the tech guy told me to wait two weeks and call back for the upgrade. He said he was giving me a $20 programming credit for the wait.

Huh?

I'll try the CSR roulette again tomorrow and if that fails go the ceo@dishnetwork.com route...

My 500+ was installed yesterday (July 18th). I noticed that WDIV was up. A couple of times during Last Comic Standing, WDIV flaked out. Like there was a signal loss. The signal strength was steady at 59.

The install was initially set for last Thursday, but Dish Network did not specify the DPP44 switch required to complete the install. The tech said he would reschedule the install for Tuesday. When we returned home from vacation on Monday there was a message saying there was a part shortage and the install has resheduled for Aug 1st.

Called Dishnetwork to find out what happened. I was told by the ERT fellow that the distribution hub told him that only 2 500+/1000+ kits had been sent to Michigan. That was odd, because the Tech had 2 of them in his truck. When I remembed that he told me his office was in Leslie, MI, I looked up the Galaxy One office there. They had received 15 of the 2 dishes sent to Michigan. They were able to dispatch someone to do the install early that afternoon.

When they come back out to install your DPP44 I would ask them to peak the dish for 118. I did that and my signal for 118 is in the mid-70s. With a signal around 60 you may get pixalilzation and lose it, especially in rain. Better than paying for a repoint later or having to do it yourself.

The DPP44 was installed yesterday. When I asked about the low signal strength, the Tech said that it was normal for the 118.75 satellite. It would appear he is mistaken. I will get him back out.

Thanks,
Jim

I had a 1000+ install scheduled for Friday, just got a call from Dish asking for me to call to reschedule, sorry for the inconvenience and we'll give you a $20 program credit.
I called and did the automated reschedule - for Monday! that was the furthest out it would let me go and I didn't want to speak to anyone, so I wonder if they will give me a $20 credit. I suspect I'll get a call Saturday asking to reschedule again.

Dish installed the 1000+ today (free upgrade).
The St. Louis locals look the same from 118 as they do from OTA.
All the guide data is populated for locals, for SD, HD, and OTA.
Signal Strengths:
110 - 95+
118 - 85-90 (I only checked Tp's 20 & 24 where the STL local DT's are)
119 - 95+
129 - 80-85 (much improved over the regular 1000, which was 60-65)

Last edited:
I was comparing the Detroit HD Locals to my Lansing and Flint OTA locals - and the are VERY close. The Detroit is a little softer, and takes a second to tune in after a channel change (MPEG4 decoding), but the are VERY good. I am not disappointed in the least.

JrC said:
My 500+ was installed yesterday (July 18th). I noticed that WDIV was up. A couple of times during Last Comic Standing, WDIV flaked out. Like there was a signal loss. The signal strength was steady at 59.

MasterDeals said:
When they come back out to install your DPP44 I would ask them to peak the dish for 118. I did that and my signal for 118 is in the mid-70s. With a signal around 60 you may get pixalilzation and lose it, especially in rain. Better than paying for a repoint later or having to do it yourself.

Galaxy 1 came out this morning to re-point my dish.
118.75 Transponder 4 has a signal strength of ~72
Transponder 5 is 75.

The picture is not breaking up anymore.

Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)