HD Receiver Question

Lars

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 23, 2004
Can the Dish HD recievers output an "anamorphic" image over composite or s-video in 480i? Those of you that had Voom will understand what I am asking. The Voom reciever would output a "squished" (sorry for the technical terminology) version of the HD channels over the component and s-video connections that allowed those of us with a widescreen 480i set (hey, it's in my bedroom) to see an HD channel without the black bars added. The set stretched the picture back out to its normal ratio and it looked great.

Anyone know these details?

Lars said:
Can the Dish HD recievers output an "anamorphic" image over composite or s-video in 480i
I believe the answer is yes, but because terminology is critical here, I may need to understand exactly what you are asking. See if these words make sense:

Upon receiving an HD source signal (which by definition is 16:9), the 622 can output an analog NTSC signal (525i) over composite, S-video, or even RF. That NTSC image will contain the entire original HD image window squeezed horizontally to fit the NTSC 4:3 space, without any black scan lines added. In other words, it is not letterboxed. I believe you refer to this as anamorphic.

Note: this particular behavior only occurs when you set your preferred screen type to 16:9 or 4:3 Type 1.

I actually don't like this behavior :( , because I want a non-squeezed image (i.e. letterbox) on my 4:3 alternate set.

noremac said:
I believe the answer is yes, but because terminology is critical here, I may need to understand exactly what you are asking. See if these words make sense:

Upon receiving an HD source signal (which by definition is 16:9), the 622 can output an analog NTSC signal (525i) over composite, S-video, or even RF. That NTSC image will contain the entire original HD image window squeezed horizontally to fit the NTSC 4:3 space, without any black scan lines added. In other words, it is not letterboxed. I believe you refer to this as anamorphic.

Note: this particular behavior only occurs when you set your preferred screen type to 16:9 or 4:3 Type 1.

I actually don't like this behavior :( , because I want a non-squeezed image (i.e. letterbox) on my 4:3 alternate set.

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to know. By the way, this also allows one to use a Tivo or Replay DVR with the receivers that do this and then see a decent and true 16:9 picture when viewing downconverted HD. It also allows you to record HD programs on DVD in true 16:9 format using a DVD recorder.

When I had cable, none of their boxes would do this. On the composite and s-video connections, it assumes you are using a 4:3 TV and adds black or grey bars to the top and bottom of the picture, which makes the picture look awful on a 16:9 TV.

Lars said:
When I had cable, none of their boxes would do this. On the composite and s-video connections, it assumes you are using a 4:3 TV and adds black or grey bars to the top and bottom of the picture, which makes the picture look awful on a 16:9 TV.

Well, congrats, I'm glad your happy! :)

But I'm one of those persons who would actually prefer the letterbox non-distorted image on my second 4:3 TV! There is a way to do this on the 622, but you have to set preferred television type to 4:3 Type 2. And that, of course, messes up the HD 16:9 output. :(

My HD on TV1 is set to 16:9 and all HD programming on TV2 composite is letterboxed. TV1 output via composite is anamorphic (squeezed).

Last edited:
Jim5506 said:
My HD on TV1 is set to 16:9 and all HD programming on TV2 composite is letterboxed. TV1 output via composite is anamorphic (squeezed).
Jim- Can you confirm what mode you're using (Single or Dual)? I'm in Single mode and do not get the behavior you describe. I may try it this evening in Dual mode. My only real complaint with Dual mode is the fact that OTA cannot be displayed live on TV2.

noremac - I don't have any OTA signals here and can't experiment.

In Dual Mode, can TV1 record a OTA program at the same time it is watching a Satellite 1 program, and TV2 watch a Satellite 2 program?

If Yes, could you then on TV2 watch the OTA program as it's being recorded?

noremac said:
Jim- Can you confirm what mode you're using (Single or Dual)? I'm in Single mode and do not get the behavior you describe. I may try it this evening in Dual mode. My only real complaint with Dual mode is the fact that OTA cannot be displayed live on TV2.
Yes, I run in dual mode.

On the 622 the TV1 composite and RF modulator output will be an anamorphic image if TV1 is set to 16x9 (or 4x3 stretch). I use it all the time for copying widescreen HD channels to DVD. The TV2 output is always 4x3 full screen or letterbox.

SmityWhity said:
In Dual Mode, can TV1 record a OTA program at the same time it is watching a Satellite 1 program, and TV2 watch a Satellite 2 program?
Terminology problem. ;) There are three tuners, and two output devices. Tuners and output devices work independent of each other. The DVR function has full access to all three tuners, and the output devices have full access to the DVR, but the output devices DON'T have full access to all the tuners. The single case that makes the last statement true is that TV2 output device cannot "see" the OTA tuner.

...could you then on TV2 watch the OTA program as it's being recorded?
No, you can't watch OTA live on TV2, but you can watch a recorded OTA program from the DVR. Which means you could theoretically set up a brief delay of only 10-15 seconds and watch "near-live" OTA on TV2 output. ;)

Last edited:
noremac

Thanks for the response. I knew TV2 could not view live programming from the OTA tuner, but thought that it could either view it as it was recording, or as you said - with a little delay.

On terminology - There's difinetly a lot floating around. You calling TV1 and TV2 "output devices" makes a lot of sense. Until now, I never stopped to look at it that way, but will now. I decided to unwrap the manual that came with the 622 and if you (god forbid) think while reading, the manual often uses "output" with TV1 and TV2. :eek:

However, your last statement on terminology about "single case...etc...." I think is true, but incomplete. I suspect TV2 output device does not have access to the "OTA Tuner", nor the "Satellite 1 Tuner" which are used by TV1; and TV1 does not have access to the "Satellite 2 Tuner" which is used by TV2. Maybe I've been eating too many mushrooms from the high plains.

I have another question on OTA that I'll start a new thread on.

caam1 said:
On the 622 the TV1 composite and RF modulator output will be an anamorphic image if TV1 is set to 16x9 (or 4x3 stretch). I use it all the time for copying widescreen HD channels to DVD. The TV2 output is always 4x3 full screen or letterbox.

OK, i done some testing. The behavior you describe works ONLY in Dual Mode. When in Dual Mode, TV2 can be adjusted (via the aspect "*" key) to toggle between Letterbox and Anamorphic.

What I really need is the option to control aspect format on TV1 and TV2 outputs independently in Single Mode.

Why do I can so much about Single Mode? So I can watch OTA down-rez on any TV in the house.

SmityWhity said:
noremac

Thanks for the response. I knew TV2 could not view live programming from the OTA tuner, but thought that it could either view it as it was recording, or as you said - with a little delay.

On terminology - There's difinetly a lot floating around. You calling TV1 and TV2 "output devices" makes a lot of sense. Until now, I never stopped to look at it that way, but will now. I decided to unwrap the manual that came with the 622 and if you (god forbid) think while reading, the manual often uses "output" with TV1 and TV2. :eek:

However, your last statement on terminology about "single case...etc...." I think is true, but incomplete. I suspect TV2 output device does not have access to the "OTA Tuner", nor the "Satellite 1 Tuner" which are used by TV1; and TV1 does not have access to the "Satellite 2 Tuner" which is used by TV2. Maybe I've been eating too many mushrooms from the high plains.

I have another question on OTA that I'll start a new thread on.
Doesn't even have to be a delay. Essentially you never watch direct, but always read back from the disk even for live TV. You just have to say watch the dvr recording and get it right up to the current time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)