Has anyone tried a 4 TB ehd?

Less expensive per TB or not, I would not use anything higher than a 2T. Have two 1Ts standing by.

Last edited:
The reason Dish says the limit is 2TB is because the EHD will only hold 1000 files no matter how big it is. Going over 2TB will probably gain very little unless you're only saving long HD movies.

Reactions: CulpeperUplink
I limit myself to 1TB, most are smaller. I have one RAID array and may get another.

Wound up getting a 2 tb WD My Book at BJ's Wholesale for $99. Staples ahd the WD My Book 2 tb for the same price, so I went with the 3tb. Didn't find any WD's at a cheaper price.

Wound up getting a 2 tb WD My Book at BJ's Wholesale for $99. Staples ahd the WD My Book 2 tb for the same price, so I went with the 3tb. Didn't find any WD's at a cheaper price.
So you wound up with which??

My second RAID enclosure for Dish EHDS use arrives Monday. I'll slap two old 250 GB drives in it. Not a lot of risk, as it is unlikely both will conk at the same time.

I have up to 1500 recordings on a 2TB, too many 1/2 hour shows mixed with 1 hour ones.
I'm tempted to try a 3TB drive for the movies, not the small stuff.
My philosophy is 2 drives are just as likely to lose any single show as a big double sized one.
Yes, you would lose more at one time but more drives will have more losses.
With reasonable care and no vibration or surges you likely have the same or less loss with a big one.
-Ken

Lately, I have a problem, which think is unrelated to the limit, on one drive. When I play Person Of Interest recordings directly from the EHD, it will stop almost immediately even if at the middle of the recording. I must play and answer the auto-Hop question, if any, and quickly back up or just move a tap from there. I can then use it normally. I've only seen it on this program, the one currently being sequenced most times with or without auto-Hop set for it. (Yes, beta until they take it away.)
Annoying that you have to select the EHD and the pile for it and than go down 50 recording to get it, again. Can't it remember the drive and episode? I do love that if sequential it will let you select from the next 4 or so even on the EHD. Hate it when they mix older single numbered ones with season & episode ones because the look ahead fails. BTW, best sorted by Episode, not Date--it gets both. -Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts