has anyone with the 811 run into this

shaun-ohio

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 31, 2004
ohio
i have my ota antenna hooked up to my 811 to receive the ota channels with the voom antenna that they supplied, but the 811 wont give me no program listings for it, it just says local digital on the channels and thats it, is the 811 supposed to give the program guide for the ota channels too? i have already did a re-boot 3 times and all it will give me is the program guide listings from 61.5 location, thanks, shaun

shaun-ohio said:
i have my ota antenna hooked up to my 811 to receive the ota channels with the voom antenna that they supplied, but the 811 wont give me no program listings for it, it just says local digital on the channels and thats it, is the 811 supposed to give the program guide for the ota channels too? i have already did a re-boot 3 times and all it will give me is the program guide listings from 61.5 location, thanks, shaun

My 811 (p284) gives complete HD OTA listings for all the HD channels (about 15) that are in my area.

shaun-ohio said:

common problem with the 811.. (and the other HD receivers from e*) is that they get their OTA guide data from the Dish and not the PSIP data...

I really hated the way they had ours because our CBS has a subchannel that is UPN... the UPN would show up as Local Digital... Our PBS station has 5 substations and they would always show that they were playing the same thing... E*s implementation of OTA guide sucks... and even on some receivers requires a subscription to locals to get the guide data.

Same story here. Scanned locals, get no channel info, just the accurate digital channel displayed and no program info. I hope it can be resolved. Might it be something to do with the line in for OTA is not merged with the coax that comes form the dish via diplexer? BTW, mine is not the Voom supplied OTA. It is the aerial on my roof.

Bye,

me

PONCH said:
Same story here. Scanned locals, get no channel info, just the accurate digital channel displayed and no program info. I hope it can be resolved. Might it be something to do with the line in for OTA is not merged with the coax that comes form the dish via diplexer? BTW, mine is not the Voom supplied OTA. It is the aerial on my roof.

Bye,

me

Nope its all in the way dish made their OTA tuners.... they could probably pretty easily fix it with software... but they are not going to.

Dish receiver will only display info for digital channels IF dish carries the locals for your area. If they don't carry your locals the only info you will get is "local digital".

If I remember well, the 811 will only show OTA programming info IF the subscriber is also receiving (and thus, paying for) the SD local channels via Dish. Otherwise, it will only show 'local digital' and nothing else.

Stupid, if you ask me... but that's the way it works ( = another way for Charlie to get 'extra' money from us ).

Bottom line is that even though you have an OTA antenna, Charlie still wants you to pay $60/year if you want the guide data.

Ouch, that sucks. Oh well I suppose you can always use it like you were meant to... channel surfing with a tv guide or something! :\

Too bad, because electronic navigation makes up for the crappy delay you get with digital systems lol.

BFG,

Maybe you're right, but I remember that my 811 always showed 'digital local' when browing through the PG.

Now, once the channel was selected and tuned to, the upper and lower bars showed the correct data all the time.

BFG said:
The 811 does not require a subscription to locals.

Only the 921 and 942.

correct...

But to get the guide data you ahve to be able to receive the locals (for instanc eif they were on one of the wing birds you have to at least see that bird)

Also... it will map all of the sub channels with the same program info..

Example

WKYT here has the news at 6.

27-1
27-2
27-3

will all say the 6 o clock news.

when in reality its on 27-1

27-2 is the andy griffith show (27-2 is upn)
and
27-3 is 24/7 weather

same for the pbs's

51-1
51-2
51-3
51-4
51-5

will all show barney or some other crap that is on 51-1 but you can be watching soemthing on volcanos on 51-5

The H said:
BFG,

Maybe you're right, but I remember that my 811 always showed 'digital local' when browing through the PG.

Now, once the channel was selected and tuned to, the upper and lower bars showed the correct data all the time.

that was true prior to last november... dish mapped their sd guide onto the OTA guide in november

Yeah I know they have to see where the locals are on dish ;)

Hmm weird my 811 doesnt put all the sub channels with the same guide, sub channels just say local digital on my 811

Wow neat, you mean one PBS "station" has several substations? Damn now I'd love to get an HD OTA tuner of sorts o_O

BFG said:
Yeah I know they have to see where the locals are on dish ;)

Hmm weird my 811 doesnt put all the sub channels with the same guide, sub channels just say local digital on my 811

they may have "Fixed" :) that since i left dish in january.... but its still not a legitimate fix

Actually it really sucks that PBS stations.

Because of their multicast crap they only show PBS HD Mon-Fri from 8PM-12AM, and it looks bad :(

Most people getting the digital signal have HD so I wish they'd show PBS HD 24/7 :(

But this is just 1 case of my local station that does this... Other stations do things differently

OoTLink said:
Wow neat, you mean one PBS "station" has several substations? Damn now I'd love to get an HD OTA tuner of sorts o_O
a lot of stations are doing that... kindof nice when they dont show much HD.... however it severely drags on their bandwidth when they do show HD

BFG said:
Actually it really sucks that PBS stations.

Because of their multicast crap they only show PBS HD Mon-Fri from 8PM-12AM, and it looks bad :(

Most people getting the digital signal have HD so I wish they'd show PBS HD 24/7 :(

But this is just 1 case of my local station that does this... Other stations do things differently
51-1 stays on PBS-HD.... 51-5 sometimes shows some HD stuff... of course this is all respective of your station

BFG said:
The 811 does not require a subscription to locals.

Only the 921 and 942.
True. But, it still doesn't provide data for most sub-channels. A simple implementation of PSIP guide data would sure help. Or, if they are unwilling or more likely incapable of providing what any decent OTA HD receiver has, they should improve their own guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)