Has DISH Lost it ways?

How would you improve the Hopper 3 (besides adding a red LED on the front) :D
I think at this point, it is not so much about improving the Hopper 3, but rather seeing how many of the advanced Hopper 3 features can finally trickle down to being rolled out on the lower-model receivers, especially the Wally and Hopper Duo. If the hardware in those models cannot handle the additional features, then that is where the need comes in to come up with newer versions of those receivers to replace them.

For starters, how about making sure that all of the streaming apps are available at every receiver level? Apps like YouTube, YouTube Kids, and Amazon Prime should not be restricted to just the upper Hopper models. These are features that just about any "smart" device is expected to have, so there is no excuse for Dish not including these in their entry-level (cheaper) receivers.

It is also a shame that the Hopper 3 is the only receiver model that can handle 4K HDR. A need for a 4K HDR Joey has already been mentioned, and I would expand on that by suggesting a 4K HDR Wally (and even a 4K HDR Hopper Duo) should also be added as options. Not every subscriber wants to pay the full $15 monthly DVR fee just for access to some occasional bonus 4K content and a few streaming apps.

While I am mentioning a proposed new Hopper Duo, I think that including a larger hard drive (500 GB is microscopic by today's standards) and adding the full PTAT and AutoHop functionality would be a bare minimum as far as what features to add. Otherwise, why even call it a Hopper?

I would add better streaming ability to stream ESPN3, and the Pac 12 regionals direclty to the Hopper.
That one mystifies me, as Dish already provides many channels streaming directly to the Hopper, although mostly just international channels. I even get a few of the streaming channels in my $15 per month International Basic package. So, I really don't understand why Dish does not offer more of the more popular national basic channels this same way.

I like my Hopper 3 it’s us old time dish subscribers that or use to new and exciting things coming down the road . The 3 has been out for awhile now and in the age of computing its old . Lets see what they can make out if the hopper 4 if you just tread water you will eventually sink .
I think that enough time has passed since the Hopper 3 came out, and technically there is already a 4th version of the Hopper (Hopper Duo) so if/when Dish finally comes out with a more advanced Hopper, they should just skip directly to calling it a Hopper 5. That way, they can make it seem like it has two generations worth of improvements. (Which is what it may actually have, by the time it finally comes out.)

It’s been a minute since I’ve been on here but regarding RSN’s I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again even when I was a dish customer if you’re a sports fan your best route is DIRECTV Dish has really never been worried about sports. At this point I doubt they’re going to even add much more sports programming if any. Called up one day to request they add the Oklahoma feed to Fox sports Southwest to which she replied they already offered live programming of OU sports on the alternates That’s great but what if I want to watch the insider shows, OU classics, Or Coach Riley’s weekly show...

On a sidenote we are considering going back to dish even though they don’t have much sports anymore just because our viewing habits have changed and we only watch a handful of channels but still have to have cable And the hopper is just the most amazing DVR out there no joke

On a sidenote we are considering going back to dish even though they don’t have much sports anymore just because our viewing habits have changed and we only watch a handful of channels but still have to have cable And the hopper is just the most amazing DVR out there no joke

If you have to have cable, why are you getting DISH also?

IF and that to me is a big IF, a new Hopper 4 or whatever comes out, I would hope it would have much faster speed for apps. At least to equal Roku and modern TV performance with YT etc.

Along with the little red LED...

Directv has no Pac 12. Pac 12 is a must for west coast viewers and anyone who went to a Pac 12 university. Directv never even tried. Directv is failing fast as well

It’s been a minute since I’ve been on here but regarding RSN’s I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again even when I was a dish customer if you’re a sports fan your best route is DIRECTV Dish has really never been worried about sports. At this point I doubt they’re going to even add much more sports programming if any. Called up one day to request they add the Oklahoma feed to Fox sports Southwest to which she replied they already offered live programming of OU sports on the alternates That’s great but what if I want to watch the insider shows, OU classics, Or Coach Riley’s weekly show...

Reactions: HipKat and Bobby
If you have to have cable, why are you getting DISH also?
I interpreted "cable" as meaning "pay TV." In other words, that particular "handful of channels" are only available with a traditional pay TV provider, or Pere845 does not have access to enough internet bandwidth to reliably stream them.

... While I do still like the PTAT feature, Dish has never fixed the issue with ABC recordings sometimes not starting at the right time (causing me to miss some episodes entirely)...
I meant to mention this the other day when I read your post, but I forgot. Dish does have the More Video Services app, which offers programming from ABC and a selection of other Disney-owned channels. So, any missed episodes should be available there, or through the regular on-demand menu. I realize that is not quite as good as having it recorded by PTAT, but it is still an option.

Reactions: CubsWin
I meant to mention this the other day when I read your post, but I forgot. Dish does have the More Video Services app, which offers programming from ABC and a selection of other Disney-owned channels. So, any missed episodes should be available there, or through the regular on-demand menu. I realize that is not quite as good as having it recorded by PTAT, but it is still an option.
Yeah, I have used that in the past. It works in a crunch, but typically has a limited number of episodes and forces watching the commercials. I wish they would just fix the ABC PTAT problem, but I suspect nobody in a decision-making position at Dish knows anything about it

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
Directv has no Pac 12. Pac 12 is a must for west coast viewers and anyone who went to a Pac 12 university. Directv never even tried. Directv is failing fast as well
As a Pac-12 fan, this is the biggest reason why I chose Dish over DTV. And also why I haven't tried switching to a streaming platform. No P12N on Hulu or YTTV. Fubo has it, but no ESPN. Sling has it, but no locals.

Reactions: pattykay
As a Pac-12 fan, this is the biggest reason why I chose Dish over DTV. And also why I haven't tried switching to a streaming platform. No P12N on Hulu or YTTV. Fubo has it, but no ESPN. Sling has it, but no locals.
And yet ironically, Dish requires you to stream the six Pac 12 regional networks if you want to watch the programming on them. With all of the RSN's that have been removed, you would think that Dish would have the bandwidth now to be able to deliver those channels by satellite. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)