"Expedition Unknown" guide nonsense

Jim S.

When someone asks you if you're a god, you say yes
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
FN11od
Once again I see that all episodes are being flagged as new, and three-hour-long blocks are being listed as one episode.

Who is responsible for this crap? Is Discovery doing it themselves to try to get more views, or is it only a Dish problem?

Reactions: TheKrell and wormil
I would like to blame it on the never-ending incompetence of the guide data provider(s) that Dish uses, but sometimes I wonder if the content providers like Discovery aren't doing this on purpose to promote less-popular shows.

I frequently see a new 1-hour episode of "Gold Rush" and a 1-hour episode of "Gold Rush: White Water" listed together as a single 2-hour show, so DVRs record the whole 2 hours. I kind of think Discovery is doing that on purpose to use Gold Rush's popularity to try to boost White Water.

I also find it annoying when they run two new 1-hour episodes of the same show together as a 2-hour show, and then later that week they'll run the same two 1-hour episodes individually, so DVRs record the same content twice because they see them as different "shows". This seems to happen with Gold Rush and Deadliest Catch a couple of times at the beginning of each new season.

Reactions: osu1991
Yes, History does this with American Pickers all the time. I have probably missed actual new episodes weeding out the ones that previously aired and they package as new.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do we need to start a campaign to notify the program owners that if they don't put a stop to this behavior, we'll quit recording any of their programs? What would be the best way to go about this? Something needs to be done!

Reactions: dennispap
I periodically have guide issues with my local NBC station and the nightly news with Lester Holt.

The nightly news show is repeated at 2AM, however the 2AM newscast is frequently labeled as 'new'. This causes the repeat episode to be recorded, then when the real new episode comes on at 6:30PM, the Hopper thinks that is a repeat episode and it does not get recorded. I am left with yesterday's news being recorded at 2AM, and the new episode at 6:30PM being skipped.

I continually have to check the schedule and select to skip the 2AM episode, so that the real new episode at 6:30PM will record. There are many similar mistakes in the guide listings.

same answer as usual. ROVI/TIVO/EXPERI or whatever their new name will be.
+1...all Tivo users are battling this EXACT, SAME issue - TOTAL morons running Rovi!
Only saving grace - at least I can check "other" actual, reliable guide sources for corrections... (BEFORE anyone says it...WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO THOUGH!!! :mad: )

As said several times, this one isn't on Rovi.

I use a TV tracker app called Hobi and if it doesn't say there is a new episode then I know it's a repack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)