Has my EHD bit the bullet?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
I've had the same EHD for a few years now. Starting using it with my old 722k and used it to transfer many recordings to my hopper when I upgraded last year. I probably had over 100 movies stored on it from the past few years. I never used it that much other than to transfer movies from the hopper to the drive. But I always left it powered up and connected to the hopper. Well I noticed a few days ago that it's no longer showing up as an option on my hopper. I tried unplugging the power but still doesn't recognize it. Is it safe to say that it's a goner? Any way to recover all the movies?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But first unplug the USB cord on the EHD. Then unplug the Hopper, let it fully reboot and then plug in the EHD.

Well I unplugged the USB, unplugged the power on the DVR, and even unplugged the power on the EHD. I let the hopper reboot and hooked everything back up. But the Hopper still isn't recognizing the EHD. I don't see any lights on the EHD, but I really don't remember if there were any lights to begin with. Any ideas? If the unit is dead then I assume there's no way to recover the data?

My suggestion is directly above your last post. You can't tell if it's the EHD's internal harddrive, OR the EHD drives power supply. That is, until you remove the internal drive and try it separately with a docking base like I did.

I even gave you a link to the style of dock I bought. I have 4 of those for different devices, and they haven't failed me yet over 4 years.

I saw your post. But to be honest I have no idea how to remove the internal drive. If it's not plug and play I'm pretty much lost. I guess I could take to a computer repair place?

Look for outside screws, and start removing them until the case comes off. They might be hidden under stickers. Anybody can do it, nothing hard at all. Why pay some shop for something you can do in 15 minutes?

What have you got to lose? It doesn't work now, so taking it apart and finding out if the internal drive is ok is a 100% gain to you if it is ok. That is, if you want to have your recorded shows back.

I'm sorry it's been so long without a reply. I've been too busy with work and home matters to deal with this. But no, I do not hear or feel the drive spinning when I plug it back in.

Primestar31, my drive doesn't have any screws. It almost seems like I could insert a knife into the bottom edges and pop off the cover. But I'm a little worried I'll break it for sure. As for the drive dock. I would definitely pay the $30 or so for the dock if I knew it would fix my problem. But if it doesn't I'm stuck with a part I'll never use again (more than likely).

Let's say I do take it to a computer shop. Would it be possible for them to transfer the recordings to a new drive? Would the way Dish formats the drive cause any issues with transferring?

The docks are pretty handy, for a desktop and laptop as well. I'm big on multiple backups. I have two of them I use interchangeably. In time, I don't think you would regret having one even if the EHD drive does not work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)