Has the DTVPal DVR started shipping yet? (Yes)

WildBill, thanks for the pros and cons. I would appreciate other users likes and dislikes. One major concern being an old "921 Beta User" back in the early days, is the DTVPal DVR stable? Any sudden crashes and reboots?

No, so far it runs flawless. I did make the same observation as WildBill: The SS seems a few points higher than the 722 across the board. Don't know if it's just a higher number, or a real higher signal strength. My old voom box shows MUCH higher numbers than the 722, but it also cuts out below 80, whereas the 722 can drop to 57 to do the same. So it might be just a number. Next time my signals fluctuate ( which happens quiet a bit, since I am 75+ miles from the towers a operate THREE antennas with TWO preamps pointed in the same direction, to suck the last bit of RF signals out of the air), I will compare the two to see who can hold on to the picture longer.

The SS seems a few points higher than the 722 across the board. Don't know if it's just a higher number, or a real higher signal strength.

I did a direct comparison on a marginal signal. Not only was the number a few points higher, but the signal that was cutting out every few minutes on the 722 was rock solid on the DTVPal. :)

Here's the info about the Smart Card that came with the DTVPal DVR.

Attachments

• SC1.jpg
    SC1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 276
  • SC2.jpg
    SC2.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 295
Great info SatGuys, this may be the box for me to compliment the Apple TV since I'm no longer with Dish Sat Service.
Since there in bed with sling, why dont they turn this into a sling catcher?

:haha

Too bad he's retired. They've probably got some really nifty snooping things now! :p

So I did hook up the DTVPal DVR via HDMI, instead of component and it still has the better picture compared to the 722. Nevertheless both machines look better via component than via HDMI on my Olevia LT32HVE TV set. It may be because this TV has a DVI connector, and not a HDMI. But that shouldn't matter, since it's a digital connection anyways. My Philips upconvert player looks better via HDMI than component, because the component doesn't upconvert. The component output of the DTVPal DVR simply looks stunning compared, whether it's set to 1080i or 720p, even though my TV set is a naturally 720p unit. I actually like the PAL set to 1080i a little better.
The 722 has a very good picture, put the PAL via component is better. So I leave it on component for now.
I got the SW update now, but so far couldn't tell a difference. I admit that I miss little things like information about episodes first air dates in the TV Guide, that I have on my 722. This is really helpful, if you don't wanna record duplicates. Now I don't know, if the PAL will record duplicates or not, since there is no option for recording NEW episodes only. The TV Guide goes several days ahead, but there's only info for about ONE day ahead.
The skip forward and back frame by frame works erratic, just as it is on my 722. The frame forward works pretty good, but frame back is not doing it right. It either doesn't skip, or skips back 10 or more seconds. But this never seemed to work right on ANY of my Dish DVR's. I use this feature very often, predominantely on the weather future cast when the future radar animatio runs, and they're usually WAAAYY too fast to follow the timeline, so I usually skip back to the beginning of the animation, and skip forward and back to see what's supposed to happen at what time. I haven't tried the USB port, since I don't know what it supports. There's an option in the menu to test the port, and it tells me that there's no device connected. I wonder if the new 21.0 remote supports it in AUX mode with the remote address set to "2" instead of "1". I have it set to"2" and taught the remote commands in RAW to my Harmony 880 and this works rather well, even though I have to really just blip the buttons quickly, to not get double commands. It happens, that if I was select channel 2, and I push a bit too long it enters 22 instead. Same applies to navigating through the menus.

On my Fujitsu plasma, I had to adjust the component picture settings from the DTVPal to look as good as DVI from the 722. Fortunately, the set saves the settings for each type of input independently, so I'm good to go. Couldn't detect any noticeable difference between the 720p and 1080i settings. Also tried scheduling a timer to record a program after the Pal was powered off with the remote. The recording occurred as scheduled.

Well, now that others at AVS have cracked it open and posted pics, I wonder if I should bother opening it now.

Well, now that others at AVS have cracked it open and posted pics, I wonder if I should bother opening it now.

Not only that, but one user over there has already swapped in several different Sata harddrives, and a 160GB, 500GB worked. It formatted it automatically, and up his record times (on the 500GB) A 750GB aand 1TB failed with an error. The original drive is a 250GB.

Credit to "hignfy" at avsforum:

It's Here - Dish DTVPal DVR (End User Comments Found Here)! - Page 11 - AVS Forum

Hooking his drive to a MAC, resulted in it not recognizing the partition, just like a regular Dish dvr. He's going to try it on a Linux pc later.

Not only that, but one user over there has already swapped in several different Sata harddrives, and a 160GB, 500GB worked. It formatted it automatically, and up his record times (on the 500GB) A 750GB aand 1TB failed with an error. The original drive is a 250GB.[/url]

Hooking his drive to a MAC, resulted in it not recognizing the partition, just like a regular Dish dvr. He's going to try it on a Linux pc later.
The first page of that thread also has technical specifications and upgrade instructions. Here's an excerpt:

Detailed Specifications

Here's an internal shot of the DTVPal DVR, courtesy of hignfy.

• STMicroelectronics STi7109 DVR CPU w/ integrated MPEG-2, MPEG-4 AVC, and VC-1 decoders
  • 160MB DDR400 SDRAM (2x Elpida D5116AFTA, 2x Hynix HY5DU281622FTP-D43)
  • 16MB Spansion S99-50052 Flash IC (for system software -- note Dish ViP722 satellite DVR also uses a 16MB flash IC)
  • 250GB Western Digital WD2500AAJS SATA hard drive
  • 2x MicroTune MT2131 ATSC tuners
  • A/V Inputs: 1x coax (split internally for both tuners)
  • A/V Outputs: HDMI, component, composite, coax; optical digital, stereo
  • 10/100Mbps Ethernet
  • 1x USB
  • Dish IR remote

I have noticed that the Smart Card isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual. I wonder if it was the RIGHT thing to do, to power it up the first time without the card. I am aware of the possible future use for it, nevertheless I still find this somewhat suspicious, that it shipped with it inserted, and no mention about it in the manual and still everything works without it, even the SW update. Maybe I'm just seeing this....:confused:

I have noticed that the Smart Card isn't mentioned anywhere in the manual. I wonder if it was the RIGHT thing to do, to power it up the first time without the card. I am aware of the possible future use for it, nevertheless I still find this somewhat suspicious, that it shipped with it inserted, and no mention about it in the manual and still everything works without it, even the SW update. Maybe I'm just seeing this....:confused:
You probably know this, but you're being paranoid.

The plan is to use the card to decrypt IP VOD from Cinema Now. This is the same IP VOD currently available on Dish Network's satelite DVRs. Dish Network can't be making much money on the DTVPal DVR @ $249, and pay VOD service would create another revenue stream.

Look for more information about this at CES in a few weeks.

The plan is to use the card to decrypt IP VOD from Cinema Now.

That may be a plan, but it wouldn't explain the commercial I saw, nor the person who found online program listings for "Echostar Terrestrial Digital".

That may be a plan, but it wouldn't explain the commercial I saw, nor the person who found online program listings for "Echostar Terrestrial Digital".
I don't know about a $9.99/mo plan besides that mentioned on this forum, but the "Echostar Terrestrial Digital" receiver is a product sold for digital TV in the UK.

The message about the Echostar Terrestrial Digital service is in the pub, but what it boils down to is somebody was setting up a TV guide program on his iphone or something and among the services it provided listings for was Echostar Terrestrial Digital, and the channels listed were American basic-cable channels like Discover and whatnot. Do they provide those OTA in the UK?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts