Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys gives you an up-close look at the upcoming 722k Over The Air tuner Cartridge.

In this special demo you can see how the cartridge gets inserted into the 722k and also a great upclose look of the new cartridge. (Note demo requires Adobe Flash Player)

To see the Dish Network ViP 722k Over The Air Tuner Cartridge Demo please CLICK HERE!

ENJOY!

Can you clarify whether this is a module to give a 2nd OTA ATSC tuner to a 722k? (I still prefer my "tuner warp" idea for existing receivers.)

I think the reason that they are not including them is because most people don't use the OTA tuner. As long as they get HD locals they can record two things at once and they don't really care about setting up an OTA antenna.

I think the reason that they are not including them is because most people don't use the OTA tuner. As long as they get HD locals they can record two things at once and they don't really care about setting up an OTA antenna.

Well, in past the reason wasn't exist and a few DVR had the OTA tuner;
the trend started by DTV last year, so Dish just follow it (yeah, I know 6000 had it too, but it was before DVR era).

I don't understand why they would even think about taking them out. I am in Des Moines, Iowa which has population of about a Million including surrounding suburbs. Dish doesn't provide all of our HD channels. They don't even include PBS. I'm sure larger cities have a lot of HD channels not on dish. OTA will be needed for quite some time. It will be years before dish can provide all of our HD channels. Also OTA is a great backup for weather outages which happens frequently, in the Spring, Summer and Fall, in this part of the country.

Ron

I don't understand why they would even think about taking them out. I am in Des Moines, Iowa which has population of about a Million including surrounding suburbs. Dish doesn't provide all of our HD channels. They don't even include PBS. I'm sure larger cities have a lot of HD channels not on dish. OTA will be needed for quite some time. It will be years before dish can provide all of our HD channels. Also OTA is a great backup for weather outages which happens frequently, in the Spring, Summer and Fall, in this part of the country.

Ron

That's the thing that is great about the way they are doing it on this model. For areas like yours you pay a little more and get the OTA module. For the majority of areas with high populations "most" customers don't need or want OTA cababilities so they can save money on those receivers by not including the module. It's the best of both worlds really.

Let's face it, most of us satelliteguys are not the typical consumer. Most of us have OTA setups and most of us will love that we would be able to now record 4 HD streams at once (two sat and two ota), but we are not the norm.

If you have a 622 or 722 and are recording on 2 non local channels at the same time you can record on the OTA.
Why can we no longer record on the Digital OTA channels. I had to swap out a receiver because of this and this doing the same thing. Any timers set on dig. OTA will not record.
This is so frustrating especially on Mondays Chuck, Sarah Conners, Prison Break, WWE Raw (for my father) CSI Miami and My Worst Enemy.

If you have a 622 or 722 and are recording on 2 non local channels at the same time you can record on the OTA.
Why can we no longer record on the Digital OTA channels. I had to swap out a receiver because of this and this doing the same thing. Any timers set on dig. OTA will not record.
This is so frustrating especially on Mondays Chuck, Sarah Conners, Prison Break, WWE Raw (for my father) CSI Miami and My Worst Enemy.

Yep, have the same problem with the OTA timers and have been complaining.

There must be a problem on your end because on my 722 i record 2 satellite channels and ota at the same time, with no problems, plenty of times.

I had a similar problem with my 622, or thought I did. I had Sarah Connor and Chuck both set to record OTA, but both are on at the same time, so by priority Sarah Connor was not recording. I redid the timer so Sarah Connor would record off satellite and Chuck would record OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)