Hatton vs. Mayweather.....COULD be the best fight of the year

salsadancer7

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jun 1, 2004
South Florida
I am surprised that that a thread has not been started!! This is going to be a great fight and I am VERY excited to HOPEFULLY see Mayweather get his a$$ kicked!

Me too but don't underestimate the speed and defensive strengths of Mayweather. I saw the fight many years ago with Leonard and Hearns and was shocked that Leonard avoided getting hit more. Like Leonard, Mayweather will run and avoid the punishment while countering Hatton faster than he has ever been countered. The only shot I give Hatton is if Mayweather decides to stop running and trade ala Leonard and Duran number one where Duran kicked his ass. The lesson learned from that fight and used successfuly in the next "No Mas" fight by Leonard was to not engage but stay defensive and frustrate Duran and that is what I think Mayweather will do. I am excited and hopeful it will be a brawl and not a defensive back of the foot display by Mayweather earning just enough points to win.

Me too but don't underestimate the speed and defensive strengths of Mayweather. I saw the fight many years ago with Leonard and Hearns and was shocked that Leonard avoided getting hit more. Like Leonard, Mayweather will run and avoid the punishment while countering Hatton faster than he has ever been countered. The only shot I give Hatton is if Mayweather decides to stop running and trade ala Leonard and Duran number one where Duran kicked his ass. The lesson learned from that fight and used successfuly in the next "No Mas" fight by Leonard was to not engage but stay defensive and frustrate Duran and that is what I think Mayweather will do. I am excited and hopeful it will be a brawl and not a defensive back of the foot display by Mayweather earning just enough points to win.

I read this great article:

Bernard Hopkins took time following the press conference to talk to reporters about how he sees the fight playing out.

Bearing in mind that the president of Golden Boy Promotions East has a vested interest in a Ricky Hatton victory (Hatton is fighting under the Golden Boy banner for this fight, and it's no secret that De La Hoya himself is eyeing a Hatton fight in May), the light heavyweight champion nonetheless had some interesting points to make.

"Hatton's a dangerous guy because he's hard to keep him off you," Hopkins said. "I don't think I've seen Floyd fight where he fought a guy who came with rapid punches, that had some sting on them, top to bottom, angles, and an energy level staying what it was in the first through to the eighth, ninth and 10th rounds. Ricky Hatton, I never seen the man get tired. I believe Mayweather's style of catching and baiting -- you catch a man and you bait them in -- that's not going to work, like it did on many other fighters, against Ricky Hatton. Why? Because if you throw that many punches in rapid fire, it's hard to come back with one, two, or three shots. It works great against one- or two- or three-punch guys, because you can time that. But he's nonstop, Hatton. So you got to time five punches compared to one or two. That's going to be the difference in this fight as time goes on." -- Kieran Mulvaney

ESPN - The lead-up to the big fight - Boxing

I Think Mayweather should win this fight rather easily. Hatton dosen't have the boxing skills to hang on for long with a boxer like Mayweather. I believe Mayweather will remain unbeaten until he gets into the ring with Miguel Cotto.

Ialso think Mayweather is a much better boxer and will win in a decision relatively easily

I Think Mayweather should win this fight rather easily. Hatton dosen't have the boxing skills to hang on for long with a boxer like Mayweather. I believe Mayweather will remain unbeaten until he gets into the ring with Miguel Cotto.

Oh, I think Mayweather SHOULD be favored. But did you read what Bernard Hopkins stated? He had an observation no one has brought up, every interesting comments.

I like Cotto too....LOL....I hope he gets the winner of this fight.:D

Mayweather got this!
Too bad I would have loved to watch this fight, but not going to shell out 54$+

greatest fight i've seen in a long time. i liked hatton before the bell, but i knew deep down that mayweather was gonna win big. hatton was tough, but mayweather after 6 rounds is money. mayweather is the guy now. hes the tyson of the new era. after this fight, hes that prolific, imho. i'm ready to see the rematch! mayweather is a bad motha, it'll be hard to stop him for a long time.

oh and since this is a sat tv forum i'll just say we pulled the fight in a bar for a mere $54. glad the tv cops didn't show up!

mayweather is the guy now. hes the tyson of the new era. after this fight, hes that prolific, imho.

He's the new Tyson ????
Hardly
The whole country knows who Tyson is and was from the beginning.
I until this thread, had NEVER heard of the guy.
Tyson was known by everyone, including outside of the sporting world .....

Jimbo

He's the new Tyson ????
Hardly
The whole country knows who Tyson is and was from the beginning.
I until this thread, had NEVER heard of the guy.
Tyson was known by everyone, including outside of the sporting world .....

Jimbo

I Agree with you Jimbo
Nobody can say Mayweather is a Knock Out boxer,he have style and accuracy in his boxing but is not a good fighter, he is a great boxer,And everybody knows Tyson fights barely passed (On his peak) the 2nd round.

I Agree with you Jimbo
Nobody can say Mayweather is a Knock Out boxer,he have style and accuracy in his boxing but is not a good fighter, he is a great boxer,And everybody knows Tyson fights barely passed (On his peak) the 2nd round.

What do they always say :
Chicks love the Long Ball ....
We'll the general public loves the Knockouts.

Yep! Now "that" will be a fight!

Hatton is a very good FIGHTER, and a very good BRAWLER....but just an adequate BOXER/TACTICIAN...and against Mayweather, to beat him, you need ALL of the above....and I think the ONLY guy that has all the above is Miguel Cotto. He can hit with power from the left and the right, has a deceptively quick, STINGING jab and is a very good tactician. I will give the devil his due, to beat Mayweather....you have to BE, not DO, but BE at your VERY BEST. And to me, the ONLY boxer out there that PREPARES as good and as much as Mayweather IS Miguel Cotto.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)