Terry Bowden wants to coach West Virginia

shugo77

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jan 9, 2005
Heart of Dixie
He's been out of coaching ever since he left Auburn after learning he would be fired after the '98 season.

As a staunch Auburn fan I can tell you, the guy can coach, but his recruiting left a lot to be desired. He had early success at Auburn when he was coaching Pat Dye's players, but things fell apart when he was coaching a team he had built from scratch. He left Auburn in a very deep hole that it took two full season to start to climb out of. But the former AD at Auburn (the one that Bowden quit on and the same one that tried to fire Turberville) was a complete moron, and he was chased out of Auburn with his tail between his legs.

So, I don't know what to think of Bowden, could be a good hire or a bad hire, who knows. I think I'd give him a chance if I was doing the hiring.

ESPN - Bowden says he's very interested in job at West Virginia - College Football

i wouldn't have any problems if terry were hired at west virginia. but i do wonder how many bridges he may have burnt after the auburn situation.

This is interesting...

IF Terry Bowden becomes the next West Virginia head coach, guess who would be the first team he faces..... Auburn.

WVSports.com - WVU Future Football Schedules

Now that would be funny. I wonder if he did get the job, what type of offense would he run. I don't think the qb and rb at Wv would fit too good into his style he had at Auburn. Then again, he did have Craig at qb. I agree with you on he is a very good coach. He did however ruin Auburn like you said with his recruiting. One year he did not sign one defensive lineman. He paid the price for it.

He is a former alum there, so it might not be bad for WVU.

Heard on the radio today that papa Bowden put in a call to the West Virgina governor for a little help.:)

I think they should give the job to Florida Asst. Coach Doc Holiday on his name alone. What a cool name, and he has done great work with the DB's at Florida.

Heard on the radio today that papa Bowden put in a call to the West Virgina governor for a little help.:)

and here's how it likely happened...

Terry Bowdon - "Hey dad, nobody will let me coach, and I really, really want to coach..and, and, and.... now, there's this cool job, at WVU, and I said I wanted it but they haven't responded" (Wipes tears)

Papa Bowdon - "Calm down son, I know the Governor of West Va. I'll call him and ask him if WVU will let you coach"

Terry Bowdon - "Gee thanks dad, you're the greatest"

Papa Bowdon - "You're welcome son, but this is the last time, don't screw this up like you did at Auburn."

Terry Bowdon - "I promise I won't dad, I'll work extra super hard"

Papa Bowdon - "Ok Son.... Merry Christmas!"

Terry Bowdon - "Merry Christmas dad!"

(ends with father/son hug)

and here's how it likely happened...

Terry Bowdon - "Hey dad, nobody will let me coach, and I really, really want to coach..and, and, and.... now, there's this cool job, at WVU, and I said I wanted it but they haven't responded" (Wipes tears)

Papa Bowdon - "Calm down son, I know the Governor of West Va. I'll call him and ask him if WVU will let you coach"

Terry Bowdon - "Gee thanks dad, you're the greatest"

Papa Bowdon - "You're welcome son, but this is the last time, don't screw this up like you did at Auburn."

Terry Bowdon - "I promise I won't dad, I'll work extra super hard"

Papa Bowdon - "Ok Son.... Merry Christmas!"

Terry Bowdon - "Merry Christmas dad!"

(ends with father/son hug)

ROFLMAO!

rumor has it interviewed with doc holiday and terry bowden this week and next week interviewing tommy bowden and bobby bowden so bobby may have been pitching himself to retire with wvu and leave the fsu mess behind him. however you stack it up looks like wvu is chasing after the bowden clan. id be happy with any of them but how many years could daddy have left in him?

I work here in WV for the State and Manchin likes to get involved in Sports stuff with the state. He made Marshall and WVU play each other every year in football.
With ALL due respect since you opened a can of worms. I don't have a problem with ANY governor involved in Sports. I have a problem with ANY governor involved in ANY coaching selection process, WHY? It is prone to harsh criticism NOT to mention the potential ethical issues-IE. conflict of interests. Keep in mind the INTERNET technology in which the American media thrives on.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts