Status
Please reply by conversation.

Magic Static

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
Montana
Well I am tickled pink! I just received my new tuner and dropped it in place of the SkyWalker. Installed the driver and fired up MyTheatre and scanned in The Florida Channel on AMC 3. I was expecting problems. None!! It runs my switches and motors just fine, C and Ku. I even caught some S2 signal on the WSI 6' Special, couldn't lock it in though. But I am very happy so far:)

Well not so tickled anymore. The hauppauge now refuses to move the KU dish on the SG9120b. Moves the VBox just fine. Switching back to the SkyWalker and all works good. Back to the Hauppauge and the KU motor is no go. I think it's a power problem. The Hauppauge just can't put out enough, I think. I'll have to experiment with a external powered ku motor.

Must be power related as I found the Hauppauge Nova does move the ku motor on Vertical channels only.

I have this same tuner card and it does NOT move my SG9120 motor. My coolsat 6000 moves it just fine. The Hauppage tuner card, not at all. :(
I am very disappointed because the pc is how I watch and record everything. I don't use the coolsat at all, it's far too limited..

:(

Around 5..6 years ago, I read on another forum (it's been linked/posted here, too) of a mod to an SG2100 motor, to power it from a laptop power supply.
They put out around 18..22 volts, perfect for the motor.

Maybe a year back Pendragon discussed some mod to his motor... it was probably inspired by the old mod, but he did something more clever.
One of the two connectors for signal, the other for power...?
The details escape me right now.

And, I talked to Linuxman several years ago about this problem.
There may have been a power-passing diplexer involved, I don't remember. ;)

Point being, don't let this problem stop you.
It's been whipped. - :up
You don't have to give up a card you like when you're this close. ;)

Out of frustration I have done the unthinkable. I'm sure this was a huge no-no but I don't care. Another reason was my dad has the same motor and it's wiggly and we tried to adjust it and that didn't work, he wanted to see inside my motor before he opened his. So............

Opening it was simple. Four screws.

The photos are LARGE so that you can see the details.

I have no idea what can be done with this but maybe you guys can figure it out, I know y'all are 1000x smarter than I could ever hope to be.

Maybe y'all can invent a way to fix this and my dad could add it in, I'm not about to mess around with the insides of this thing.

Attachments

• IMG_4395.JPG
    IMG_4395.JPG
    737.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_4392.JPG
    IMG_4392.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_4391.JPG
    IMG_4391.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4393.JPG
    IMG_4393.JPG
    640.9 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4394.JPG
    IMG_4394.JPG
    708.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4396.JPG
    IMG_4396.JPG
    612.1 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4390.JPG
    IMG_4390.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 96
Not me, I'm not the genius that figured this out. I'm "Monkey See Monkey Do" kind of guy. :)

View attachment 68821This is the power mod I did do to an SG2100

I used the power supply from a DishPro Adapter power inserter. 19v. I know it's beyond Dee's known capabilities. But I put it out there in case anyone wants to know.

It's one thing to open something up and take a photograph of it but messing with the electrics when you have no clue on earth about the stuff, no no no no.... :rip:

Big Badda Boom.

Ok, tomorrow I am taking my HH motor down and opening it up for some super macro photos. I want to try to compare what's in my motor to the motor pictures in the "heart surgery" guide. I need this stupid thing to do something. I paid a lot of money for it and it's sitting there gathering cobwebs.

While I have it open I might as well have my dad take a look in it because he has the same motor and it has serious wiggling problems.

the motherboard in your motor will not be the exact same as the SG2100 in the PPT. The concept and the little blue relays are the same. If you could understand just exactly what this mod does and how it works you could apply it to the SG9120 motherboard.

Magic Static said:
the motherboard in your motor will not be the exact same as the SG2100 in the PPT. The concept and the little blue relays are the same. If you could understand just exactly what this mod does and how it works you could apply it to the SG9120 motherboard.

Oh. :(

Posted from my JB'd iPhone 3GS using the SatelliteGuys app

We are sorta in the same boat here Dee, as I also need to make the Hauppauge work better with motors somehow. But I'm not going to get after it right now. I've too many other irons in the fire. And I probably will mod the SG9120(b). When I do, I will make detailed notes and pictures. I want to first do some research into the info Anole brought up about other mods that have been done by other members. There may be a " better mousetrap " in those mods.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)