Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
I picked up this Card at a ridiculous cheap price of EBay a while back; less than half the asking price. I got the card, remote, and the connected IR wire for the remote. I know next to nothing about computer software, but there was no installation CD with it as it was like new removed from a new computer. I did download what I could from the Hauppauge web site.

I installed it like you would any new add on to a computer and it says it is all working fine, but... I get no menu on the computer monitor and have no clue as to what to add to it? I connected a RG6 for testing that is straight through a 1x8 switch, but I cannot even get a menu to pop up yet, so did I waste $22?

Attachments

• image-3246075007.jpg
    image-3246075007.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 178
  • image-1135246156.jpg
    image-1135246156.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1153627574.jpg
    image-1153627574.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 158
A software package must be installed to control the card. Examples are Myth TV, My Theatere or TSReader.

Sounds like you may have installed the only the hardware and driver.

I have one of those cards. I used it with MyTheatre. It should come with a disk with WinTVv7.2 or close. The disk is the key to the software that you download from their site. The drivers are included with the WintV app. There is no support from Hauppauge for that card in the US. I had issues with certain FEC rates on DVBS2, other than that it worked good. I have a Hauppauge ATSC tuner I use all the time.

Okay, as I said, I did not receive any CD or software with the card, probably why it was so cheap. I will review some software to download. It does appear I only downloaded hauppauge drivers, so next step is a view. I did read somewhere on the net to not let windows media player load, as it will not work with the card.

Well, I downloaded mytheatre but only the free version before spending the $40 on the full version. I chose that one because it listed my Hauppauge PCI Card. But.... It's only usable for an hour before you have to buy it! It took me that long to figure the manual directions and settings info... And I still haven't got it yet, but sure is a great little program.

Thanks for the responses, I'm going to have a glass of wine and see if that helps.

Restart the program (or reboot the computer) for another hour.
I used it maybe five years ago. 8? 10? :)
Steep learning curve for a newbie (!), but not so bad for anyone experienced in FTA.

I would suggest you get recommendations for some other program.

I picked up this Card at a ridiculous cheap price of EBay a while back; less than half the asking price. I got the card, remote, and the connected IR wire for the remote. I know next to nothing about computer software, but there was no installation CD with it as it was like new removed from a new computer. I did download what I could from the Hauppauge web site.

I installed it like you would any new add on to a computer and it says it is all working fine, but... I get no menu on the computer monitor and have no clue as to what to add to it? I connected a RG6 for testing that is straight through a 1x8 switch, but I cannot even get a menu to pop up yet, so did I waste $22?

I have been using this exact card for a few years. It works really well in almost all cases. I am using the abandonware called "My Theater" that my ex installed on the HTPC several years ago, I inherited the pc and am more or less stuck with it because of the weird switch / dish setup I have. My ex bought a registered copy of the app but the moron registered it to his name when he installed it. I tried to contact the company about having it reregistered to me but no response. I believe they went out of business.

I also have the Hauppage ATSC card and the app sees both cards as one seamless tuner I can tune and record from both cards using the app and schedules.
There are some limitations but basically it works well.

One complaint I have is the Hauppage uses a weird sort of remote and it's almost impossible to use a universal remote (the learning kind) to duplicate and replace their remote. Their remote is weak and you have to be close to the "eye".
But that's really the only thing I don't like about it.

The company's still around and selling products on Newegg. You can also get a copy of their software, it seems.

hxxp://store.hauppauge.com/SoftwareProducts.asp#cd_wintv7

That reminds me, I need to make sure I still have my CD if I ever need it...

kittyhas1000legs said:
The company's still around and selling products on Newegg. You can also get a copy of their software, it seems.

hxxp://store.hauppauge.com/SoftwareProducts.asp#cd_wintv7

That reminds me, I need to make sure I still have my CD if I ever need it...

You will need it, because their website makes it clear to upgrade you need you installation cd.

Just found this card for a cheap price, but can't find my CD of WinTV 7.0 (though it's already installed on my computer). I imagine it'd work if I just install the drivers. If not, 7.2 is only $10...

Have the Hauppauge HD NOVA S2 PCI card as well. Purchased the WinTV v7.2 disc from Hauppauge and installed. Selected digital DVB-S/DVB-S2, single LNB entered 10750 for LOF1 and scanned AMC-21 but it did not return any channels. Note: when one selects Single LNB you would expect LOF Switch and LOF2 to be grayed out but they are not. Tried to use the Nova with TSReader 2.8.47c but it just returned “Can Not Lock Signal”.

So I purchased a GEOSATpro microHD and within 5 minutes of opening the shipping box I had PBS up and running. Connected via HDMI to a Onkyo PR-SC5508P.

My needs are basic, I just want PBS (in HD) from AMC-21 (125° W). I have used a Twinhan 102G (PCI card) and TSReader for many years but PBS changed to DVB-S2 and MPEG4 rendering my Twinhan useless. I have a Diamond 9000HD STB, MicroTrend and WinTV Nova S2 (PCI cards) and all these are supposed to do DVB-S2 but I could not get any of them to work.

If anyone gets the NOVA S2 to work with DVB-S2 and TSReader on AMC-21 I sure would like to know what you did.

I would highly recommend the use of NextPVR (hxxp://www.nextpvr.com/). It's a free application that I have used with that particular card for a number of months without issue.

Just installed this in my computer and I've yet to get any signal strength or quality (standard, single output LNB). I've tried WinTV7, MyTheatre,a nd DVB Dream with the same results. I noticed that in NONE of them is there a pre-set option for a standard LNB with LO of 10750. The best I can seem to pick is LO1 of 10750 and leave the rest blank, or (in DVB Dream) pick "NA Legacy" or "Japanese Ku" and change the one LO option to 10750. Still, there's no signal from the LNB to the Nova. My $2ish satellite finder was able to find something (it seems), so I'm not sure why the signal would still be zero. Luckily I have two days off and decent weather for tweaking things.

I was pretty disappointed with my Prof pc card until I tried Sichbo PVR. The pc card tuners should be plug and play, but they are not. Your problems are not unusual and you will go through a lot of trial and error getting the perfect software/driver combination to work the way you want it to.

On the plus side, you have the dish aimed properly using the MicroHD. Dont move it. If you have a dual output LNBF, connect one to the MicroHD and the other to your tuner card so you can verify signal is present. You can always loop out to the MicroHD from the tuner card, but this introduces more complications such as LNB power source.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair 2K using SatelliteGuys

This may be a dumb question, but let's assume the trees just interfere too much with my LOS. Would both signal strength and signal quality be zero, or should there be at least some signal strength? I tried re-aiming my dish, and my cheapo meter seems to show I'm aiming at something (though it seems weak). Shouldn't there be SOME signal strength?

Satellite signals DO NOT travel through buildings, trees or branches. There must be a direct line of sight to the satellite without objects blocking the signals.

Some tuners and software will show Signal Level reading when a LNB is attached, others will only show Signal Level reading if actually receiving a satellite signal. It shouldn't be this way, but some software and hardware just isn't too user friendly. If the analog meter is squawking when aiming a specifict spot in the sky, it is likely that something is there.

Some tuners and software will show Signal Level reading when a LNB is attached, others will only show Signal Level reading if actually receiving a satellite signal.

The meter does screech if I turn the knob on it fairly high while aligning. I have a feeling the pine branches are in the way just enough to kill the signal, since it seems to waver when the wind blows. Worst case scenario, I have a decorative dish until I move (six months) or convince the rental office that a dish on the roof isn't the end of the world since I already built a non-penetrating mount.

The analog meter will screech when pointed at the ground when the knob setting is increased.

Cover the LNBF face then set the knob just below the threshold. Uncover the LNBF face and the meter will only screech when the dish is aimed at a satellite and the dish is panned across the signal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)