have a legacy dish 500 quad, how to point to sat 129 north of Seattle

SuperTech

Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
I have a legacy dish 500 quad. How to point to sat 129 north of Seattle .
area code is 98226 Bellingham.
Using a Vip 622 and two 508 receivers. Finally got a new TV so the HD channels on 129 are now interesting. ;-}
Have a spare dish 300/ Dual LNB . Can the signals be combined with one or two of the older switches ? The 508's have no need for Sat 129.
The dish 500 quad I have is the older version but does have the old switch build in.
ie there is an even older version that required an external switch.

My last call to Dish was a mess ...wanted $100 for a call out ...and to recommit us to a 2 year contract. nope.

I have a legacy dish 500 quad. How to point to sat 129 north of Seattle .
area code is 98226 Bellingham.
Using a Vip 622 and two 508 receivers. Finally got a new TV so the HD channels on 129 are now interesting. ;-}
Have a spare dish 300/ Dual LNB . Can the signals be combined with one or two of the older switches ? The 508's have no need for Sat 129.
The dish 500 quad I have is the older version but does have the old switch build in.
ie there is an even older version that required an external switch.

My last call to Dish was a mess ...wanted $100 for a call out ...and to recommit us to a 2 year contract. nope.

The 300 dish should work fine as long as you have a clear (los) If the 300 is a legacy which most likely it is all you need is 2 SW21 switches.Or you could use one SW42 switch.The sw21's are cheap these days.Not sure about the SW42's

Point the dish 300 at 129 then combine them with sw21 switches. We used 2 legacy quads feeding 3 receivers in this manner before switching to dp technology. If you are using a 508 to aim, you will need to use transponder 8 as it is the only one the older receiver will see.

Point the dish 300 at 129 then combine them with sw21 switches. We used 2 legacy quads feeding 3 receivers in this manner before switching to dp technology. If you are using a 508 to aim, you will need to use transponder 8 as it is the only one the older receiver will see.

I wouldn't use the 508 personally,last time I used a legacy to hit 129 transponder 21 was the only one it could see.

Thank you much for your very useful comments.
I'm going to grab a couple of sw21 and give it a shot this weekend.
Two SW21 seem to be $10 landed via ebay. I'll give the two local SAT Dealers a call to see what they can do.
They might have some dusty switches hiding under a desk . ;-}

I wouldn't use the 508 personally,last time I used a legacy to hit 129 transponder 21 was the only one it could see.

Yes. TP 21 is currently the only CONUS QPSK TP available. All others including TP 8 are spotbeams.

Ideas ?

Managed to point legacy dual 300 dish to Sat 129 .
Vip 622 now sees Sat 129.
But ...it no longer sees 119 . Only 110 and 129

As per summary page
Sat input 1
port 1 2
Sat 129 110
ok ok

Switch Sw42

sat input 2 is the same.

Switch bought via ebay was a SW 21 X

see here :
SW21X SATELLITE SWITCH SW21 LNB F/ DISH NETWORK BELL VU | eBay

What is SW21X switch?
SW21X can be used by itself exactly like a regular SW21 switch, plus it can be used in combination with another SW21 to get the third satellite input.

That is: SW21X switch can work like a SW21 switch. Besides, it can also work for cascading switches, i.e. can be used in combination with other switches.

What is a switch cascading?
Switch cascading is connecting more than one switch together in series after the dish to achieve more outputs than one switch can provide. You can connect this switch in series with extra SW21 switch. Please check the diagram for details.

Tried various check switch methods and no change seen.

Ideas ?

Managed to point legacy dual 300 dish to Sat 129 .
Vip 622 now sees Sat 129.
But ...it no longer sees 119 . Only 110 and 129

As per summary page
Sat input 1
port 1 2
Sat 129 110
ok ok

Switch Sw42

sat input 2 is the same.

Switch bought via ebay was a SW 21 X

see here :
SW21X SATELLITE SWITCH SW21 LNB F/ DISH NETWORK BELL VU | eBay

What is SW21X switch?
SW21X can be used by itself exactly like a regular SW21 switch, plus it can be used in combination with another SW21 to get the third satellite input.

That is: SW21X switch can work like a SW21 switch. Besides, it can also work for cascading switches, i.e. can be used in combination with other switches.

What is a switch cascading?
Switch cascading is connecting more than one switch together in series after the dish to achieve more outputs than one switch can provide. You can connect this switch in series with extra SW21 switch. Please check the diagram for details.

Tried various check switch methods and no change seen.

Ideas ?

That is a generic switch.It was made for fta receivers.You need to get original disnetwork switches.

New original Dish Network SW21 on eBay!

That is a generic switch.It was made for fta receivers.You need to get original disnetwork switches.

"That is a generic switch.It was made for fta receivers.You need to get original disnetwork switches."

Sheeesh now I hear .

I phoned dish early this morning.
They had an opening this afternoon. Tech showed up at 5 , of course had no SW21 but did have a 1000.4 dish.
So he put that up.

Only weird part, these guys like to cut every connector that they find . It's a bit surreal.
I ended up with one less cable running into the house which was a bit annoying but it all happened so fast.
Anyway it works .D
Now to see what dish does in terms of charges or commitments ..there were not supposed to be any!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts