Have any lived to tell the tale?

mewilsie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Black Earth, WI
Has anyone tried to have a TV that's been damaged by a power surge fixed? I have a Sony tube HDTV that got zapped during a storm, and I'm not sure what to do?

I know there are numerous things that can happen during an incident like this. I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this and tried to have there set fixed, and what all it entailed?

It is impossible to guess or speculate on what damage your set had sustained. Your best bet is to find a reputable and honest TV repair shop and have them give you an estimate. This should cost approx. $20 to $50 depending on your area if you bring it into the shop. I have seen the repair to be as minor as a fuse or fusible link to major damage not repairable. Go get it checked out. As a rule of thumb for me, if it is fairly new and the repairs are less than 1/2 the cost of a new one. I will usually consider fixing it. If it goes over 1/2, I will usually consider buying a new one. Hope this helps.

Sony tube sets are very well built. However, if there is a failure, often it's catastrophic. There are many techs. that I know of that won't touch a Sony. If it's something really simple (fuse, fusible link, burned pc board trace etc. ) I'd have it fixed. If it's going to involve multiple parts it's been my experience that they die again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts