Have any of you guys ever been to an All-Star Game?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
For many of us, there have been all-star games that took place in the areas where we live.

Take HD MM, for example- in 1997, his beloved city of Cleveland hosted not one, but TWO All-Star Games- the NBA (in its 50th anniversary season) and MLB games (that was where Sandy Alomar became baseball's last Midsummer Classic hometown hero).

KCK is probably going to want to go to next year's MLB All-Star game in Anaheim.

And so on and so on.

Have you ever been to an All-Star game?

If not, what was it like when these games were in YOUR cities?

(I was not alive when the 1978 NHL All-Star Game was in Buffalo)

I went to the NBA All Star game in Charlotte back in 91. It was fun. Looking back it was more like a Hall of Fame game. You had Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley, David Robinson, pretty much everyone who was one the 92 Dream Team playing in that game. It was also during the Gulf War and I remember the heightened security going in, everyone had to pass through medal detectors. It seemed weird. It was also before the NBA All Star weekend turned into a thug convention. Now I wouldn't be caught dead at one of those games.

i been too the nhl all-star game- its fun,, we been lucky here in denver too have them all here , nba,nhl,mlb, even mls soccer all-star

I went to the 1986 NHL all-star game in Hartford. I remember that 5 of the starters for the Campbell conference were Edmonton players and that the Wales Conference pulled out a 4-3 OT win. Much more like a normal NHL game than the ridiculous offensive showcase it has become lately.

When the 1994 MLB all star game was in Pittsburgh, I didn't go to the game, but I went the day before.

I saw the old timers game but the Home run derby was great, Jr. was just awesome, and Frank Thomas hit one in the upper deck at Three-Rivers Stadium.

I would love to go to a baseball All-Star game one time, but I could never afford to go.

1971 Tiger Stadium. Reggie Jackson hit the hardest hit ball I've ever seen into the light tower on top of the right field roof. The ball was still rising when it hit. Ended up back on the field, and ReggieBar never got credit for hitting one out of the stadium. Never seen anybody hit a ball that hard again.

I have been to both MLB ASGs that were held at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati!!!...:up:up

In 1970, (Riverfront had only been open for 2 weeks), My step-father had 4 season tickets and he became eligible for 2 tickets for the All-Star Game, but they were not our normal seats in the green along the first base line. They were in the red section in straight away center field. Still, not bad seats.
It was a great game, going 12 innings and ended with home town hero Pete Rose bowling over Cleaveland's Ray Fosse at home plate to win the game 5-4!!!...:D And on a side note, it was also the closest (at the time) I had been to a sitting president, who was also at the game....too bad it was Nixon!!!...:(

Then, in 1987, I won the chance to purchase tickets through a lottery the Reds held. The AL won that game and about the only highlight was I almost got thrown in jail for standing by the railing on the plaza overlooking the river on the outside of the stadium with a beer in my hand!!!...:eek:

And if I live that long, I will probably go the next one they have at GABP!!!...;)

I've been to the AAA All-Star Game in Albuquerque in 1993. OTOMH, I seem to recall in the game Chipper Jones, Javy Lopez, Jim Thome, and Ryan Klesko.

I have been to both MLB ASGs that were held at Riverfront Stadium in Cincinnati!!!...:up:up

In 1970, (Riverfront had only been open for 2 weeks), My step-father had 4 season tickets and he became eligible for 2 tickets for the All-Star Game, but they were not our normal seats in the green along the first base line. They were in the red section in straight away center field. Still, not bad seats.
It was a great game, going 12 innings and ended with home town hero Pete Rose bowling over Cleaveland's Ray Fosse at home plate to win the game 5-4!!!...:D And on a side note, it was also the closest (at the time) I had been to a sitting president, who was also at the game....too bad it was Nixon!!!...:(

Then, in 1987, I won the chance to purchase tickets through a lottery the Reds held. The AL won that game and about the only highlight was I almost got thrown in jail for standing by the railing on the plaza overlooking the river on the outside of the stadium with a beer in my hand!!!...:eek:

And if I live that long, I will probably go the next one they have at GABP!!!...;)

I was at the latter one. I thought it was 1988 but not sure. It was a great experience. Me and my brother went early for BP. That was the best part. We sat in the LF green seats. My brother got a BP HR off the bat of Dave Winfield and cracked a rib in the process reaching over a seat to grab it. I came across some pictures just recently I took. Nothing great since I didn't have a very good camera.
It was pure luck how I got the tickets. I lived in SE Ky at the time about 5 hours from Cincy. I was going to the Sunday game before the break and left home before daylight. I turned on WLW for some reason and they announced soon after that there would be about 3,000 going on sale that had been held back for some reason. I didn't know if I could get there by the time they put them on sale but I did. Got in line and was able to purchase two tickets,that was the limit. My oldest brother lived in the Cincy area then and he went with me. That's probably the luckiest I have ever been. :)

I went to the game at Fenway in 1999.

I'll forever remember Ted Williams coming out, and the players surrounding him on the pitchers mound. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

I also will never forget Pedro's dominating performance.

I went to the game at Fenway in 1999.

I'll forever remember Ted Williams coming out, and the players surrounding him on the pitchers mound. There wasn't a dry eye in the house!

I also will never forget Pedro's dominating performance.

WHAT??? DO MY EYES DECEIVE ME??? IS IT SPRING TRAINING TIME??????

WELCOME BACK, PALLIE!!!! WHERE YOU BEEN AT??????

I was at the 1999 All-Star Game at Fenway, too, and my eyes weren't dry either. The game was almost anti-climactic after the pre-game ceremonies.

I also attended the 1987 MLB All-Star game at Oakland.

1999 MLB All- Star game at Fenway. Way up about 2 rows from where the Dunkin Donuts sign is in Right Field. The place was electric because of Ted Williams and than Pedro was simply awesome.

2002 NBA All Star saturday night in Philadelphia. Jason richardson won the slam dunk contest and Peja Stoyajavich(sp) won the 3 point shoot out.