Have I lost my EHD?

bobsie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 16, 2006
Alpena, MI
Suddenly, with no warning, my EHD is no longer recognized by either of my Hoppers. It was working when I went to bed the night before last and yesterday, no more. I have reset the hoppers, disconnected and reconnected the EHD multiple times, and it just is not seen. I can feel the drive start up just fine. Is there anything else I can try or have I lost all my recordings I have stored there? I am going to upgrade from Hoppers to HWS shortly. Should I wait and try the EHD with them when they arrive?

If you have another equivalent power supply, try that on your EHD and see if that helps. The PS might be putting out 12 but no longer 5, which would cause such symptoms.

If you have another equivalent power supply, try that on your EHD and see if that helps. The PS might be putting out 12 but no longer 5, which would cause such symptoms.
Yep. I've had bad power supplies before. Replaced a 722K unnecessarily.

Thanks. I'll give that a try. I already tried swapping hoppers and USB cables. Never thought about the PS since the drive is running fine (apparently).

If your Power Supply or disk has a power indicator then that would mostly like tell.
Some power indicators require the USB. You should check that the plugs are firmly inserted.
Check the USB tightness on both ends, too. Pull plugs and reinsert.
Does the screen show that the drive has been added and disconnected when pulled?
Many drives have only a 5V supply but some do have both 5V and 12V on a ribbon cable.
So it is possible that drive will light but the other supply be missing.
You are using an external PS? Sorry, spewing random thoughts.
-Ken

Do you see the ehd in the ehd transfer menu? My ehd 'disappeared' once before, but i could see it in the transfer menu. I just rebooted and it was back

Do you see the ehd in the ehd transfer menu? My ehd 'disappeared' once before, but i could see it in the transfer menu. I just rebooted and it was back

Nope. When I go to the transfer mode, there is only Hopper to same Hopper (which is not allowed and silly to put there like that).

I thank everyone for their help. I tried all suggestions that I could with no success. I do have a bad Hopper here and waiting for confirmation of upgrade to HWS. Hopefully, when I get those, I will try connecting again to see if it is recognized. The drive had power, and I can feel it running, but the Hoppers do not see it at all, not even as a drive I need to format. I think my bad Hopper, which it was connected to last, did something to it when the nightly update occurred. It was fine when I went to bed but gone the next morning. That is the only thing I can think of. Trust me when I say, this bad Hopper is doing really strange things to everything. I am constantly having to reset it for it to even work with a Joey that is assigned to it. Again, thanks everyone.

Re: no DVR. I had this happen a first time yesterday. Waited for recording break and rebooted, problem solved.

Re: a hit. Dish sends a signal that resets the Household Key, 8 hex digit, for you account. Sometimes vary in last digit or two.
This puts them all in sync.
-Ken

P.S. it does not affect the EHD recordings, FYI. -K

Last edited:
One brick, at least, with 3 wires for a Cavalry 1TB disk does have an indicator. It may be the only dual supply that I have.
All the disks or stands for raw drives have some indicator.
-Ken

One brick, at least, with 3 wires for a Cavalry 1TB disk does have an indicator. It may be the only dual supply that I have.
All the disks or stands for raw drives have some indicator.
-Ken
Ok, you're talking about regular power light/dot? Made no difference on my bad one.