Have problem receive one OTA channel - VIP622?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Was out of town when OTA went totally digital. I live in the Raleigh, NC area and when I got home on Sunday 14th I could not tune in ABC channel 11. I noticed that ABC changed from 52.1 to 11.1. I do not believe this to be a problem because I also receive CBS channel 5 which is now 5.1 with no problem at all (changed from 53.1 I believe - maybe I have the two stations switched).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to receive 11.1 or at least punch in 11.1 on my VIP622 so that I can manually add the channel?:confused:

Re-scan Your Locals

You most likely need to re-scan your locals. Menu -> Installation -> Local Channels I think is the sequence.

HTH,
Jeff

I tried that twice and still it does not pick up ABC. I am at a quandry - in addition, I don't seem to be able to enter 11.1 manually. Is there no way to do this on the VIP622?

They probably moved frequencies. SOunds like from UHF to VHF. You do need to completely delete your OTA channels prior to doing a rescan. If that doesn't work, you can manually add it if you know the frequency. Go into the manual add.

S~

I haven't been able to receive WTVD ABC 11 since the transition. Apparently this is a problem all across the Triangle.

This is from the ABC 11 WTVD website:

ABC11 will be working with the Federal Communications Commission to increase our power so that we may reach every possible viewer.

The station is committed to reaching out to viewers and helping them through the DTV transition.

Message from ABC11 Chief Engineer Curtis Meredith:

On Friday at 12:30 p.m., WTVD ABC11 switched from channel 52 (UHF) to channel 11 (VHF) as assigned by the FCC.
This change also required us to substantially reduce our power level. Both of these factors have made it difficult for many viewers to receive a viewable signal.
This is especially a problem with indoor antennas. A UHF-only antenna probably won't work for channel 11 anymore. Since WTVD is the only station in this area assigned to a VHF channel, you may be able to receive all local stations but us.
I assume that you have already rescanned your TV or converter box.
If you have an all-channel indoor antenna, try to re-orient it or raise it to a higher level. If this doesn't work then you'll probably need an attic or outdoor antenna. The most important factor is that the antenna be designed for VHF channels as well as UHF channels.
All of us at ABC11 are very concerned about this loss of coverage and we are working to find a solution. At this time we're not sure what that solution will be or when it will happen but we are meeting with federal officials on Monday to work out an acceptable plan.

They claim to be the only station on VHF - are you sure about 5.1 moving to VHF?

Edit: WRAL changed from 53 to 48, NOT 5. So it's still UHF, and your problem with channel 11 could also be due to an antenna that is only for UHF, or has crappy gain on high VHF.

For tuners (TV or sat) that do not have a dot or dash, you can often enter them with leading zero(s).
Thus for 4.1 or 4-1 you enter 0041 or 00401. The sub-channel does not need the leading 0 but just needs to be in the 4th or 5th place as there are no sub-channels above 9, AFAIK.

The rescan should be done so you can use channel up/down or the guide to get to the channel.

-Ken

Okay, my antenna is a top of the line Wineguard that sits 30' above my house. It has both vhf & uhf capabilities. Second, I have tried entering the number 01101 and the channel will not come up. I have deleted the OTA channels four times and rescanned. At this point, I do not believe that I will be able to receive the OTA signal from WTVD and the lower power might just be the problem. My question is why did they have to lower the power? That just does not make sense. I wonder if folks in other parts of the US where their channels went to VHF if they are having problems with Dish equipment picking up the signal. I seem to remember the 821 receiver I had being able to input the complete channel in the add screen for OTA channels. On the VIP622 you can only in put channel 11 -- not 11.1 and I wonder if this is the problem?

Okay, my antenna is a top of the line Wineguard that sits 30' above my house. It has both vhf & uhf capabilities. Second, I have tried entering the number 01101 and the channel will not come up. I have deleted the OTA channels four times and rescanned. At this point, I do not believe that I will be able to receive the OTA signal from WTVD and the lower power might just be the problem. My question is why did they have to lower the power? That just does not make sense. I wonder if folks in other parts of the US where their channels went to VHF if they are having problems with Dish equipment picking up the signal. I seem to remember the 821 receiver I had being able to input the complete channel in the add screen for OTA channels. On the VIP622 you can only in put channel 11 -- not 11.1 and I wonder if this is the problem?
It's not going to be channel 11.1 in the OTA channel scan. It's going to be some whole number in the 2-69 range. Usually a higher number will translate into a digital channel like 24 = 6.1 OTA. So I'd manually add in channel 24 and my channel 6.1 would show up.

Looks like channel 52 is no longer being broadcast and it ought to be 11 now only. How far do you live from the tower? What about trying a VHF only antenna instead? You could make your own for a couple bucks and see if it picks up the channel better.

Last edited:
I wonder if folks in other parts of the US where their channels went to VHF if they are having problems with Dish equipment picking up the signal.

It's not just with Dish equipment, and not just in your area. Moving back to VHF has really hurt DTV reception all over the country. Part of the problem was users with UHF-only antennas, part of it is due to stations not broadcasting at full power. ABC 7 in the SF Bay Area has been hard to receive since they went back to VHF. Supposedly they were transmitting at reduced power from an aux antenna until a couple days ago, I'll have to rescan for it, but I had lost channel 7 post-transition.

You should read that thread over at AVSForum and determine if others with a similar antenna and similar distance from the towers are receiving channel 11 any better than you are.

I had the same problem in the Indy area with the local NBC affliliate. Try this tip from the Indianapolis Star regarding the same problem with digital receivers not getting all of the OTA channels. Delete all your OTA channels in the menu then disconnect your antenna from your receiver and rescan. You will get nothing, but save this anyway. Now reconnect your OTA antenna and do the scan again. This worked for me on my Dish receiver.

I had the same problem in the Indy area with the local NBC affliliate. Try this tip from the Indianapolis Star regarding the same problem with digital receivers not getting all of the OTA channels. Delete all your OTA channels in the menu then disconnect your antenna from your receiver and rescan. You will get nothing, but save this anyway. Now reconnect your OTA antenna and do the scan again. This worked for me on my Dish receiver.

A novel idea -- I will try this. BTW, I am 26 miles from the antenna and the VIP622 is the only connection to the OTA tv. My wife does not watch OTA -- she is a Lifetime, Lifetime Movie and Crime junkie. Reality shows and dramas like Lost just do not appeal to her. She will watch shows like Unusuals, Fringe, House, NCSI and Heros the only thing she watchs with me OTA is sporting events like Golf, Horse Racing. Come to think of it, that is about all I watch OTA too!:)

For the poster, you channel 11 has moved from a UHF channel to VHF, no need to rescan.
Go into you local setup, move over on the left side and go down the channel list to ch 11, you should not get a signal, so put a dot infront of 11. Now move to the right and delete. now go to add channel, put 11 in the box, you should see a green signal bar at the bottom and 11 will show above the green bar, click on done, done and you are all set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts