Have problems with the VIP 612 receiver been rectified?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mhowie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
I've read numerous posts about problems with the 612 receiver... most of those posts are rather aged... have whatever issues which earlier plagued the 612 been overcome with either software updates or hardware improvements in the units shipped recently?

Thanks,

both of the ones I got in November started exhibiting problems within a couple of weeks. But others will say theirs works fine, some of these people spend their own money to equip the boxes with fans, but I am not going to spend my own money to get something I pay fees on to work properly. It sounds like its the luck of the draw. They have been such a problem that dish agreed to let me out of my contract if the replacements they send do the same thing. Well see how that turns out, they get here tomorrow.

I've had fairly good luck with my 2 leased 612's. They are no worse than my owned 722. I think the firmware is better these days. I haven't had a problem with either 612 in months. My 722, on the other hand, has decided it's TV2 is superfluous and won't turn on sometimes. (TV1 is almost always working.)

I have two 612s (in addition to one 722k and one 622). Presently the 612s are pretty stable. But it does seem like the 612 software team does not have the same degree of talent as the other software teams. Often after a new software release minor problems crop up that require a reboot to one or both of the 612s. Within a couple weeks those kind of problems just go away. It would be much better for the releases to be tested more thoroughly before download!

I'm on my 2nd 612 and I haven't connected the OTA and all seems fine, connecting the OTA started my problem on my 1st 612. Reboots and freezes

I just got tired of the OTA issues and disconnected it from the DVR and connected it to my TV directly. So, no, the OTA issues haven't gone away.

I just got one installed yesterday and one thing I noticed is that the OTA tuner reads lower signal levels for my local channels. My 622, 722, 211 they all read pretty much the same for most OTA channels but the 612 readings are lower.

So far no problems (knock on wood) and I really like the receiver.

Yeah, I disconnected the OTA for a couple of weeks too thinking that might be the problem but the problems kept happening. Mine gets lower signal strengths than the 211k, for nbc the 211 gets 100, the 612 gets in the low 90s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts