Have satellite, need boxes?

andreah1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 28, 2005
I have directv in three rooms in my home. I have one tv that is already hd ready but the other two are oldies. If I'm using satellite receivers do I still need to buy the converter boxes? Also, we are putting up an outdoor antenna in the spring and I tried to read (and understand, ha ha) how to do this but I'm confused. When we run the line into the house from the antenna, can we run it into the multiswitch and it will carry to all the receivers or do we need to run a line to each receiver separately? Forgive me for sounding dumb but I'm no installer, and some of the terms used I have no idea what they are, etc. Thanks for any help you can offer! You guys have helped me wonderfully in the past!
Andrea

If you have Direct TV or Dish Network Satellite service, you're already digital on your two oldie sets. But if you intend to install an outdoor antenna for free OTA digital reception, you will need two converter boxes, one for each non-digital sets.
When you run the coax into the house, I wouldn't run it into the satellite multiswitch unless you diplex the antenna feed with the satellite coaxes. The other way is to run the OTA antenna feed into a distribution amplifier to distribute the free OTA to your three sets. Diplexers will cost you more, so I recommend you go with the distribution amp on a dedicated coax feed to each set.

Ok, you answered my questions on if I need the boxes or not, guess I do! The second part of your answer has me confused, trust me, it doesn't take much. I went to Radioshack.com and looked up distribution amp and there are a few different things there, is it sort of a splitter that we would bring in the coax from the outside then run another coax from the "splitter" to the 3 tv's? Can it then be plugged into the directv receivers (it has a port in the back for outdoor antenna)? Can you give me the exact name of what I need? They have different distribution amps, some for vcr's, etc. I want to be sure I purchase the correct thing! Thanks!!!

A multi-output distribution amp is powered and sort of looks like a splitter with a power cord. I didn't want to advertise this unit is better than that one, but if you want a suggestion, find a 3-way or 4-way distribution amplifier in your local electronics store or superstore. These amps have one coax input and 3 or 4 outputs. You can also find these on-line at many websites.

I have had my fill of Radio Shack stuff thru the years - won't go there again. Why? Overpriced & underperforming from my experience.

Try amazon.com, ebay or Solid Signal for keyword "distribution amplifier". I suggest you start with Solid Signal. Channel Master and Winegard are reputable names that make or market very good antennas & amplifiers. You can also install what is called a pre-amp and simply feed its output into a simple 3-way splitter.

Thanks a bunch, I'm not a radio shack fan either but it was the only place I could think of fast to look online! :) You clarified everything for me and now I have an idea of what to do. I'll look it up and see what I can do!! Might be back on in the spring to ask for more help! :p
Andrea

Andreah1,
Request clarify. Do you already have an indoor multiswitch installed? If so, check and see if there is a UHF/VHF input on the unit. If so then you may be OK to connect the OTA antenna to it at that port.

There is alot of good info on the Channelmaster website with diagrams for connections with a multiswitch.

I'm not at home right now but I almost think there is one on our multi switch. But, it's not power operated. If this can be used then I would not need to run any other cables? Or would I still have to run something into the 2 tv's that aren't current and need dtv boxes? Crud, now I'm back to being confused again! Gonna check out the channelmaster site....

How about we take a step back and you give us some specifics about your setup. Details such as:

1. What model receivers (by manufacturer and model number) at each display?
2. How are the receivers connected to the respective TV (this one is surprisingly important).
3. Do you plan on upgrading anything in the next few months (most concerned about the HD receiver if you're a DIRECTV customer).

To give you the best answer we need the best detail you can offer.

Ok,
1. all DTV receivers....R10 is hooked to newest tv with hd capability, R15 is hooked to an older tv and D10 is hooked to an older tv.
2. The R10 is connected thru the vcr and somewhere in the mix a dvd player is connected too. But, I'm pretty sure the vcr is where everything goes into then that goes up to the tv (even though we don't use it that much anymore). The R15 is the same, thru the vcr then to the TV and the D10 is connected directly to the tv.
3. No plans to upgrade for quite some time, at least a year.

andreah1,
I didn't mean to confuse you, but I think I misread your original post.
You need to examine the specs on the particular switch you currently have installed in your system. Just do a google search on the brand and model #. Some IF switches have OTA VHF/UHF inputs but others don't.

If your switch supports an OTA TV input, this could simplify your connection to Free OTA. If it doesn't have OTA input, you will need to do what I previously replied.

Sorry if I confused you.

ciwsguy

ciwsguy, I just ran down cellar (yes, our hook ups are below) and checked the switch, there is clearly a vhf/uhf hookup. So are you saying we can run the OTA coax to the switch and it would then go to all tvs without running more coax? How would that go, would the coax coming to each receiver be plugged into the converter box first then to the receiver? And what about the tv that has the converter built in?

ciwsguy, I just ran down cellar (yes, our hook ups are below) and checked the switch, there is clearly a vhf/uhf hookup. So are you saying we can run the OTA coax to the switch and it would then go to all tvs without running more coax? How would that go, would the coax coming to each receiver be plugged into the converter box first then to the receiver? And what about the tv that has the converter built in?

What is the brand/model # of the switch? My recommendation is to get the spec sheets & installation instructions for the model switch you have. If it's a Channel Master switch, then the CM website has some diagrams to assist in your question and ithe hookup depends upon the model you have. You could also call D* or the installer and inquire. I think you'll have to run the coax from the OTA antenna into the switch VHF/UHF input, then install diplexers at each set to separate the satellite signal from the OTA signal. Out of the diplexers, the SAT signal goes to the satellite receiver RF input and the TV signal goes to the Digital to Analog set top converter box (when you get them) or to the coax input of the set if you want to watch OTA analog.

Your TV that has the built-in ATSC tuner (I presume it's an HDTV) will not need a converter box. Simply connect the TV output from the diplexer to the RF input on the set.

It's a wingard (sp?) v3800 I think, something like that, I just looked fast and am going by memory. I was on their site earlier but didn't find anything....I may try again tomorrow when I have more time. So looks like I'm going to need a handful of diplexers? :) Still not as bad as having to run a ton of coax to each tv I guess. Do you suggest again trying ebay or amazon for diplexers? Thanks so much for your help.

Yes, I've had decent luck using amazon and ebay. Just be sure to look at the shipping costs before you buy. The last I looked, diplexers run about $20 EA at RS + tax. As I said earlier about them - overpriced. I've also seen diplexers at some Walmart stores, but not all.

Also found the below info on your switch. Looks like you're all setup for a preamp at the antenna if you need it. Go with the diplexers at each set and when the digital transition occurs in 2009, add the Digital to Analog converters at your two analog TV's. Much simpler this way.

Winegard VM-3400 3x4 Legacy Satellite Dish Multi-Switch / Diplexer, Dual Digital Video Receiver TV Antenna Signal Combiner, 4 Output Distribution Power Passing, 12 Volt, Part # VM3400
The Winegard VM-3400 Multi-Switch is ideally suited for multiple Satellite receiver installations for home or small commercial applications. Equipped with 2 Satellite inputs, Off-Air Antenna input and 4 Satellite receiver outputs, this unit is a "power-passing" multi-switch providing a regulated 12 volts DC to the Off-Air input to power an antenna pre-amplifier. The VM-3400 also eliminates the need for a separate diplexer and is equipped with an internal amplifier to compensate for insertion loss. This unit can be powered from any of the 4 Satellite receiver outputs making this unit extremely versatile and cost effective by eliminating the requirement for an external power source.
Please Note: This multi-switch is currently unavailable. We are currently substituting the Holland 3x4 multi-switch in its place.

Thanks a bunch, sounds like it won't be as hard as I had thought. Phew!!!! So glad I asked. Definately saving this post, ha ha!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts