Have you ever wanted to decode Weather Satellite Pictures.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
There is a nifty program to decode the Goes weather sats pictures in color it's called WXtoIMG and uses your soundcard to decode the pictures.

Check out the website WXtoImg: software to decode APT and WEFAX signals from weather satellites and download it.

All you need is a cable to run from your external speaker out of your 2m radio or scanner to the line input on your soundcard. The cable can be had for less than 5 bucks at Radio Shack.

It has a builtin satellite tracking program so you can find out when the sats pass over your area.

I know the program says it requires a wide bandwidth receiver but you can receive them with your 2m rig or scanner with some noise in the picture but otherwise it's neat to watch it decode.

They operate between 137Mhz and 138mhz FM as well as I believe in the 2 GHZ range.

What 2m rig are you using and with what Antenna?

Very cool software thanks for sharing.

Hi Wally I'm using a Kenwood TM271A and a Ringo Ranger ARX2B just a standard omni ant. I know it's not a recommended but it's works. BTW keep in mind you have to manually adjust for Doppler Not hard to do.
The photos are'nt perfect but it works! :)

Hi Wally I'm using a Kenwood TM271A and a Ringo Ranger ARX2B just a standard omni ant. I know it's not a recommended but it's works. BTW keep in mind you have to manually adjust for Doppler Not hard to do.
The photos are'nt perfect but it works! :)

I found my weekend project.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)