Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
Just curious how many of you have already placed your orders for HD DVD players with ValueElectronics, Best Buy, Amazon, etc?

You might want to add some more options to the poll. Unless the PS3 is a total failure there's no reason that I'd even consider HD-DVD.

We have a separate poll about HD DVD/Blu-ray purchasing plans.
This one is specifically about HD DVD pre-orders. For those who are not going to buy HD DVD at all, please select item five "I am not buying it yet (or at all) " ;)

As for me, I have pre-ordered HD-A1 from ValueElectronics. Even though I am still skeptical about HD DVD success in the long run, it was hard to resist the temptation of getting an HD DVD player now and at half the price. ;)

I figured for the price of a first-generation Blu-ray player I could buy both formats: HD DVD now and a Blu-ray player, say, a year later. Getting a $499 HD DVD player will hopefully help me defer the purchase of a Blu-ray player till the second generation of it when the technology matures and the price comes down.

PS3 sounds like a possible choice down the road, though I have my suspicions about its quality as a movie player. We'll see.

$499 is half of what price? No one beyond a few HD zealots is going to pay $1000 bucks for the HD-A1. Good things come to those that wait. Let me know when a consumer non laptop computer drive is available. Once it is it will truely be worth building a media center PC.

Last edited:
animalhouse said:
I'll wait a few years to see how things shake out. Who knows, by then we'll be on to another astounding discovery in Audio/Video technology. ;)

Same here. This format war smacks of the same stupidity that has dogged multi-channel audio. I'm in no hurry to replace my DVD collection.

NightRyder

teamerickson said:
You won't have to replace your old DVD collection. You'll just stop putting money into old technology.

Yeah, but for me that's only 2 or 3 DVDs a year.

When VCRs first came out I was excited - Went and bought one of the very first ones. Top loading Beta unit for $525.

When CDs first came out I was really excited - Jumped on a second generation Sony player $375.

When DVD first came out I was excited but waited for a while - Bought a third generation Toshiba $250.

Right now, for whatever reason, I just can't get excited about HD-DVD (either format). Maybe someday......But not now. :(

NightRyder

Toshiba HD-A1 on the way..........

yes, I bit the bullet yesterday with Value Electronics. Robert was great to deal with. $499.99 includes free shipping, no
tax, 2 free movies, $25.00 rebate, 90 day same as cash, and a 5 HD movie bundle for $59.95 (after $25.00 rebate) My choice of titles.

HD-A1 to ship around (4/17/06) to be delivered to me on or about wednesday (4/19/06)

Ben Music
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
benmusic said:
yes, I bit the bullet yesterday with Value Electronics. Robert was great to deal with. $499.99 includes free shipping, no
tax, 5 year warr, 2 free movies, $25.00 rebate, 90 day same as cash, and a 5 HD movie bundle for $59.95 (after $25.00 rebate) My choice of titles.
5 year warranty?

I will buy one as soon as my indy video store offers a nice selection of HD DVDs or Blu Rays to choose from. Could be next week or next year, whenever that happens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts