Having a separate Dish HD Forum must be too complicated for many people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waltinvt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 16, 2004
Vermont
Why bother having a separate forum for Dish HD if you're going to allow people to continue to create HD related threads in the regular forum? Apparently the concept is just too complicated for some people as it seems to have really gotten out of hand lately.

No matter how the forums are organized, people will post wherever they feel like. Nobody searches for answers anymore so I say leave them the way it is.

Could it be because the combination of the two Forum Titles makes little sense?

We have a choice of:

Dish HD Discussions, &
Dish Network - Techincal Discussions

Is the title of the second choice supposed to imply that Technical Discussions means SD? Surely there are HD technical issues, just as much as there are SD technical issues. Granted the extended description does mention non-HD, but wouldn't it make more sense to just call them:

Dish HD Discussions, &
Dish SD Discussions

We all know that dish has no problems with its hd receivers and service....

Two more years and hd will be the norm and the majority the way things are going, so far only two people have actually had any voiced issues with hd discussions here and in the tech support section.

It is fairly stupid to have so many sub forums. Sometimes I will leave a questions and no one will answer so I will dump the question in another forum and get an answer. This illustrates that there are too many forums that overlap. Why not merge the forums so we don't have to keep repeating the same questions in multiple forums? I have an HD DVR so does that mean that all questions should go in that forum? What if the question is technical? I should not leave it in technical because fewer people read that forum so I bettwer leave it in general dish? Confusing.

This has been brought up numerous times and changed many times in the past. Users just don't get it and post wherever they feel like it... The current forum "headings" are illogical and confusing too.

At this point, yeah, I think one forum would be as good as anything. Of course then you'd need people to make up logical titles for their posts !! On the other hand, if a title or subject is something "Help me!", I skip it.

The announcement of the $30 HD package is a sticky in the regular forum, I end up checking both forums because news and uplink reports are in the regular section.

I don't understand why the technical discussion forum is limited to SD.

The problem with Satellite Guys forums is that each topic gets so many posts, that if you don't read through them at least twice a day, you have multiple pages to read and it is very cumbersome.

More, narrower topics are needed, not fewer.

Last edited:
I still feel strongly both ways. :D

I have a 622, but I think I got it. :)
- If I want to discuss programming except HD programming, go to Dish Forum.
- If I want to discuss HD programming, go to Dish HD Forum.
- If I want to discuss the capabilities of my 622 which is a HD receiver, go to Dish HD Forum.
- If I want to discuss the capabilities of my Dish 2000 receiver, I'm SOL. :p
- If I want to discuss how to trouble shoot no signal, go to Dish Technical Forum.
- If I want to discuss why no HD video signal, go to Dish HD Forum, but you know, I bet the Dish Technical Forum would be better. :eek:
- And if I don't know what I want to discuss, and any answer will be good, call 800-333-Dish. :cool:

Where's Simple Simon when you need him?

I still feel strongly both ways. :D

I have a 622, but I think I got it. :)
- If I want to discuss programming except HD programming, go to Dish Forum.
- If I want to discuss HD programming, go to Dish HD Forum.
- If I want to discuss the capabilities of my 622 which is a HD receiver, go to Dish HD Forum.
- If I want to discuss the capabilities of my Dish 2000 receiver, I'm SOL. :p
- If I want to discuss how to trouble shoot no signal, go to Dish Technical Forum.
- If I want to discuss why no HD video signal, go to Dish HD Forum, but you know, I bet the Dish Technical Forum would be better. :eek:
- And if I don't know what I want to discuss, and any answer will be good, call 800-333-Dish. :cool:

Where's Simple Simon when you need him?

Beautifully said. You can't make any logical choices when the selections are apples and oranges. The headings need to be corrected if we expect anyone to pay attention to them.

What about these threads?

I agree...I moved HD post's to appropriate forum back thru the 28th..(with a few side tracks due to a sticking mouse scroll wheel ;))

New Dish Network HD Essential Pack Info
New DishHD $29.99 HD Only Package Details
New Dish Latino HD Packages
Should I upgrade now or feb 1st?
Channels that are Truly HD?
Possible update on USA Network HD
Speed HD ????
The Wire in HD for first minute and then SD for the rest?
travel channel hd.
Dish 622 HDMI Goes Out
Countdown!
VIP 722can some of you with
Questions on recording to DVD with a 722
VIP722 humming noise
Poll: HD Packages
My Dishnetwork HD Upgrade Horror Story.

Never mind. The fact that this thread was moved epitomizes why the concept is lost on some people anyway.

Wow, Had this thread been originally buried in SatelliteGuys Hometown Discussions>SatelliteGuys Operations Center, I doubt I would ever have seen it, which in retrospect might have been just as well. It seems there is little hope of any constructive response, other than pushing it around the forum. I guess it is what it is, and is likely to continue to be.

I might still have just enough energy left to ask how these sub-forum names were created, but I think I'll just let it go. Despite my confusion with the naming conventions, I really do appreciate and enjoy the overall forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)