having coolsat problems any suggestions??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

knightkal

Original poster
Jun 22, 2006
Hello there new member first time post, ok my problem is that I have a brand new coolsat and just while testing it found out it wont lock into any satellite signal with the dish lnb and wires and alignment all being fine and working with another receiver , on further testing with a voltmeter i found that its only giving out 1.17 - 1.21 volts from the lnbf input insted of the usually normal 18 volts , now i guess i narrowed down the problem, now my question was if anyone knows if this could be due to a faulty capacitor or does the power supply to the lnb is regulated by the chip or is it a software issue?? Thanks in advance.

Are you checking the receiver for voltage and not the LNBF, you should check the "Out to LNBF" connection on the back of the receiver for 13/18v

Remember it depends what Transponder you are on so try H and V for voltage.

Maybe you have the setting wrong on the voltmeter and its actually measuring 11.7-12.1v

There was a thread recently where a member got his Coolsat to work again after it was showing low voltage at the LNB input.

The fix involved some pretty intricate soldering and surface-mount repairs. Definitely not for the faint of heart!

Can you exchange it for another one from the place where you bought it?

Warranty...

If it is still in warranty, get the seller to exchange it or the manufacturer to fix it.

Much less risky than fixing it yourself.

Self-repair IS risky. Don't blow a warranty by trying to fix it.

Take this from someone who has fixed things like this for a living.

BTW, PSB, I didn't do the post on the low voltage problem. I did one on a high voltage problem, the LM317 fixed that one.

In this case, if he's really at 1.17 to 1.21V, the ADJ pin on the LM317 (assuming his Coolsat has one for the LNB power) is at ground.

Make sure the "LNB power" is ON and no short circuits at the output BEFORE going further. Also do a hard reset to facory defaults and recycle the power. Many failures are due to "operator error" and you may save yourself a lot of time, etc if this is the case.

If not in warranty and still bad, then you can try to dig into it, starting with flashing the most recent factory firmware for THIS MODEL of receiver.

Thanks alot for the suggestions guys and yes the voltmeter readings are correct it is 1.17 - 1.21 volts at the lnbf input and I do have the factory flash in it with a reset and also a nvram reset but still the same problem. The dealer wont take it back even though I took it back the same day as he told me I have to send to coolsat as the coolsat ppl dont take receivers back from the dealers but only repair it if the owner sends it in , probably bs but I guess I got no option the only thing I read about sending it to coolsat was that they can sometimes charge a whole lot for repairs plus the shipping and handling thats the whole reason why I was gonna open it up myself but I guess not a good idea.

Warranty

Pack it properly for shipping, then contact Coolsat for an RA number (return authorization number) and send it to them. (with a copy of your dealer invoice to show date of purchase.)

With factory (unmodified) flash, you should be OK under warranty as long as you haven't opened the case.

Do check your cable and LNBF, switches, etc for shorts while you're at it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)