Having EHD Issues with DISH and CSRs are unable to help

dishtvrox

Original poster
Jun 12, 2010
Urbana, IL
I was just informed by a CSR that I cannot playback a program recorded from a channel I am no longer subscribed to. Yes, apparently even if you record a program on a channel that you had access to at the time of recording, you cannot play it back unless you are subscribed to the channel at the time of the playback!!!

i was a Dish customer from 207-2010, went through two DVR models. The only reason I had to discontinue was then Dish did not have a whole home dvr service. I have recorded many programs when on promotions and played them back at a later time even when the channel was no longer subscribed to.

I had DirecTV from 2010-2013 and they had no such policy of disabling recorded programs. I had Comcast briefly in 2010 and did not experience such unfair restrictions.

I am shocked and appalled to hear such anti-consumer policies from a company like Dish that I felt always provided excellent service in my experience. But exerting control in this way has some serious implications.

I will be writing to the FCC on this regard immediately.

DirecTV has also been courting me with offers to pay off contract, I am calling them first thing tommorrow and will be cancelling my dish service immediately.

other users, beware the unjust and unfair control dish is exerting on the content on your DVR. Call up Dish and complain. Write to FCC.

Once its recorded on your DVR, you should be able to do with it as you please. its not up to them to control it.

This is the Amazon mistake all over again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

I am shocked at this policy!!

Hopper w/sling + joey

The CSR is wrong! This is a bug that can be worked around and will be fixed. Don't believe everything some low paid CSR says- come get the scoop here first!

If you discontinued Dish and started another account the old recordings are tied to the old account.

I was just informed by a CSR that I cannot playback a program recorded from a channel I am no longer subscribed to. Yes, apparently even if you record a program on a channel that you had access to at the time of recording, you cannot play it back unless you are subscribed to the channel at the time of the playback!!! i was a Dish customer from 207-2010, went through two DVR models. The only reason I had to discontinue was then Dish did not have a whole home dvr service. I have recorded many programs when on promotions and played them back at a later time even when the channel was no longer subscribed to. I had DirecTV from 2010-2013 and they had no such policy of disabling recorded programs. I had Comcast briefly in 2010 and did not experience such unfair restrictions. I am shocked and appalled to hear such anti-consumer policies from a company like Dish that I felt always provided excellent service in my experience. But exerting control in this way has some serious implications. I will be writing to the FCC on this regard immediately. DirecTV has also been courting me with offers to pay off contract, I am calling them first thing tommorrow and will be cancelling my dish service immediately. other users, beware the unjust and unfair control dish is exerting on the content on your DVR. Call up Dish and complain. Write to FCC. Once its recorded on your DVR, you should be able to do with it as you please. its not up to them to control it. This is the Amazon mistake all over again. http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html I am shocked at this policy!! Hopper w/sling + joey

If the recordings were done during your previous time with Dish, they were tied to that old account and the minute is was cancelled that was it. If you are referring to programming recorded on your current account, that is strange and I have not experienced it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, I found this post:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...e-Will-the-fix-ever-come?highlight=hopper+013

I noticed it on joey and hopper, called in, they sent a signal to hopper and that fixed the playback on hopper but not joey.

this is the 3rd time I called about this issue on joey. The first two CSR's attempted to fix it but could not. the third one told me in no uncertain terms that this is not supported and hopper only plays because of a bug and they are fixing the bug to disable playback on hopper as well.

i was just giving my previous experiences.

of course i am not trying to access programs on a service i cancelled 3 yrs ago.

i am talking about current service, current equipment.

The CSR was mostly wrong. There is a known bug with the Hopper that causes what you describe.
Me, I have Many programs recorded from now unsubscribed channels that play fine.

You might have wanted to come here first, before you knee-jerked.

Its not true. Calm down it will all be worked out soon. I have recordings that I play back all the time that I no long sub to. Its a known issue with the hopper and will be fixed soon.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920

I was just informed by a CSR that I cannot playback a program recorded from a channel I am no longer subscribed to. Yes, apparently even if you record a program on a channel that you had access to at the time of recording, you cannot play it back unless you are subscribed to the channel at the time of the playback!!!

i was a Dish customer from 207-2010, went through two DVR models. The only reason I had to discontinue was then Dish did not have a whole home dvr service. I have recorded many programs when on promotions and played them back at a later time even when the channel was no longer subscribed to.

I had DirecTV from 2010-2013 and they had no such policy of disabling recorded programs. I had Comcast briefly in 2010 and did not experience such unfair restrictions.

I am shocked and appalled to hear such anti-consumer policies from a company like Dish that I felt always provided excellent service in my experience. But exerting control in this way has some serious implications.

I will be writing to the FCC on this regard immediately.

DirecTV has also been courting me with offers to pay off contract, I am calling them first thing tommorrow and will be cancelling my dish service immediately.

other users, beware the unjust and unfair control dish is exerting on the content on your DVR. Call up Dish and complain. Write to FCC.

Once its recorded on your DVR, you should be able to do with it as you please. its not up to them to control it.

This is the Amazon mistake all over again.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/technology/companies/18amazon.html

I am shocked at this policy!!

Hopper w/sling + joey

Sounds like different CSRs are telling us different things (shocker!).

When I went from Top200 to Top120+, the programs recorded off Nick Jr. would no longer play on a Joey as I was "no longer subscribed to that channel". I called tech support and they told me that this is the policy of a handful of channels - when you no longer subscribe to that channel, DVR recordings will no longer play on an "external device" - a Joey, it seems, is an "external device". Content continued to play ok on the Hopper. But screaming kids forced me to go back to Top200 right away. Dish wins.

This is the next step - take take take.

Last edited:
The CSR was mostly wrong. There is a known bug with the Hopper that causes what you describe.
Me, I have Many programs recorded from now unsubscribed channels that play fine.

You might have wanted to come here first, before you knee-jerked.

Nobody "knee jerked". Poster was reporting what they were told. "Knee jerking" would be adding snarky comments whenever possible to (I guess) make oneself feel more important.

Sounds like different CSRs are telling us different things (shocker!).

when you no longer subscribe to that channel, DVR recordings will no longer play on an "external device" - a Joey, it seems, is an "external device". Content continued to play ok on the Hopper.

this makes so much sense. thank you.

this makes so much sense. thank you.

No it makes no sense whatsoever. This is one of the eye-popping failures of the Hopper that keep me on my VIP DVRs, which have never exhibited this so called bug. I find it appallling that code is in the Hopper to do this at all. It should not exist.

Yeah, that is nonsense. This is a bug and I'm about 105% sure its on the known bugs lists those CSRs have access to. If it was designed to work this way then everyone who has content saved that they no longer subscribed to would experience this behavior, which is not the case.

Yeah, that is nonsense. This is a bug and I'm about 105% sure its on the known bugs lists those CSRs have access to. If it was designed to work this way then everyone who has content saved that they no longer subscribed to would experience this behavior, which is not the case.

CSR said it was only a handful of channels and rattled off a list. Nick Jr. was one of those. Don't remember the others. And this was only on the Joey playback. So, all told, it's a pretty unique sequence of events ---

downgrade -> try to watch prerecorded content from that select group of channels you no longer have access to -> restriction only shows up on a Joey

Honestly, if the CSR is right, it would not surprise me in the slightest that the networks would start playing this game to keep you subscribed to a higher tier. Why wouldn't they?

Fixed soon? I noticed this issue almost a year ago when I cancelled hbo...didn't have much recorded and rarely watch tv from the joey location so it wasn't too big of a deal to me. I figured they would have fixed it by now.

Fixed soon? I noticed this issue almost a year ago when I cancelled hbo...didn't have much recorded and rarely watch tv from the joey location so it wasn't too big of a deal to me. I figured they would have fixed it by now.

Unless they don't want it "fixed". I would love for DIRT to hop on here and tell us yes, it is an unintentional "bug" and they plan to fix it as 'soon' as possible. I'm betting we won't hear anything from DIRT on this - this reeks of a handshake deal with the cable networks. Let the buyer beware. Call me a conspiracist.

Also, Lee Harvey Oswald was not acting alone, FYI.

Definitely not true, I have a hard drive full of stuff from channels I no longer subscribe to or that don't exist any more and they all play fine.

I would cry for days if I lost my drive with all my old VOOM recordings on it.

I know DISH has been working on fixing issues with EHD's in the past 2 software releases.

My first thought when I read what the OP said was "CALM DOWN." It blows my mind how worked up people can get about small problems like this. Take a step back, breathe and think about the greater problems in the world.

No it makes no sense whatsoever. This is one of the eye-popping failures of the Hopper that keep me on my VIP DVRs, which have never exhibited this so called bug. I find it appallling that code is in the Hopper to do this at all. It should not exist.

Yeah, but my Hopper plays HDCP protected content from the RCA outputs without having to have the primary TV on, something my 612 never did. Take that you traditionalists. :D