having problem picking up Galaxy 10R

Status
Please reply by conversation.
White Springs is on IA-7 (Can't think of new name) at 129w, and G-10 is farther east at 123w.

The few I checked on Lyngsat are correct.

Ok, thanks for info. I posted about getting white springs just to let you know, that I was able to pick it up. and supposedly on the right track. Also getting 97 degrees, 103 but not able to pickup 123. I did notice on one of the other SATs that according the freq. on Lyngsat, I had to add about 150 numbers to all the freq. to be able to view anything. So thought that might be the case with 123 bird.
NO I am unable to pick up anything on 123.

I am 43.7 N, 98.5W
Bob

What's the local oscillator frequency of your LNB ?
..or which type is it? Universal or Standard?
...and what LO do you have set in your receiver?

I am using a LNB from a primestar dish, my settings on the microyal 900 are-LNB type is normal (the choices I have are normal, universal and lnbf) LNB Freq 1 is set to 10600 and 2 is set to 11300.

I don't know what the oscillator freq. is. Is that stamped on the lnb someplace?

Also on AMC 1 I am getting Pentagon Channel--Lyngsat shows freq. 12100, my FTA is set for freq. 12649 in order to see it. I don't know what is going on with that.

also on the 97 T-5 bird, for the TP 19 Lyngsat shows 12053 , my setting is 11949.

Just in case this means something to all you tech people.
Thanks for the help

G10R requires advanced dish pointing skills...

There are strong satellites, not so strong and weak.

With a strong satellite, you can "point your dish in the neighborhood" and get a signal.

With G10R is a weak satellite. You need to point your dish at an aiming point which is about this size ---> O

Then you need to be in the center of that "O" up/down and left/right.

Finding G10R requires accuracy. If you are using an offset dish, you need to know the "Offset Angle" for that particular dish. Then you can use an inclinometer to accurately set the elevation of your dish.

The offset angle amount for an offset dish is usually in the specifications for the dish at the dish manufacturer's web site. Of course they do not include this information along with the dish!

You can also call the dish manufacturer and ask them what the offset angle is for your dish.

Then you need to know your exact latitude, longitude, and elevation above sea level. You can get that at the link below.

Next you would use an accurate dish pointing calculator which factors in latitude, longitude, and elevation above sea level. (Link below.) This will tell you the elevation a satellite is at from your location.

To use an inclinometer, place a board on the front of the dish edge to edge. If the dish itself is straight up and down, that would be 0 degrees angle.

So set the dish so it is straight up down and place the inclinometer on a board across the front edges of the dish so it reads 0.

There may be a bar on the back of the dish which is parallel to the front edges of the dish and you would be able to use that bar and also get 0 degrees with your inclinometer. If this is the case, you can use that bar in the back to adjust the elevation on your dish.

Now tilt the dish slightly toward the sky, the inclinometer will read 10 degrees, 20 degrees, 30 degrees, etc. More degrees as you tilt it more and more toward the sky.

Straight up so it looks like a bird bath and that would be 90 degrees. The inclinometer should also read 90 degrees.

Here is a diagram of what an offset dish does actually...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_dish_antenna

So actually looking at the above picture, your dish may look like it is pointing toward the house next door, but it is actually pointing toward the sky!

Get the angle you need to aim at the satellite, then subtract your dish offset angle from that, and this should be the angle your dish should be at to find that satellite.

For example the dish pointing calculator says G10 is at elevation 40 degrees from your location. And your dish has an offset of 24 degrees (dishes are all different). You would subtract 24 from 40 and this would give you 16 degrees. So you would use your inclonometer and adjust the elevation on your dish to be 16 degrees. (Actually the dish would be pointing at 40 degrees.)

Then to find the direction you need to aim the dish, use a compass. Or for accuracy, you a handheld GPS set to indicate real heading (not magnetic). This is set in the GPS setup. Then if you are in North America, walk different directions south from your dish until you walk the heading the dish pointing calculator says G10 is at. Place a rock on the ground there. Then do this several times more to be sure your are correct. Then point your dish the direction of the rock.

Now your dish is pointing pretty much the direction of G10 and is pretty much the correct elevation for G10. You should be able to find G10 with a coax attached signal meter in a circle about the size of a baseball.

Move dish back and forth (left/right) a couple of inches. Adjust elevation up a little. Then back and forth a couple of inches. Still not found. Then try elevation down a little from starting elevation. Back and forth a couple of inches... And there it is!

Buy inclonometers here...
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Install/Compass.htm

Find your accurate latitude, longitude, and elevation...
(Keep double clicking on map to get your exact location. Then click on Find Elevation/Height, then click on Location.)
http://www.earthtools.org

Accurate dish pointing calculator which also factors in your elevation above sea level....
http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/lookangles.htm

Coax attached signal meters...
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Signal-Meters.htm

Local Oscillator (LO) frequency on the Primestar LNBs is 10750, they are standard LNBs. Try this frequency for LO 1 and LO 2. That should correct the frequency differences you mentioned...

OK, guys thanks for all the info. I can see I will need to do a little work here, for G10r.

Another thing that I forgot to mention, everybody talks about getting quality strength in 60-80s. About the highest I ever get is 26 but I can watch a picture without losing it with a quality of 6 to 8. Don't know if that is just the microyal 900 or primestar lnb or what.
bob

...Another thing that I forgot to mention, everybody talks about getting quality strength in 60-80s. About the highest I ever get is 26 but I can watch a picture without losing it with a quality of 6 to 8. Don't know if that is just the microyal 900 or primestar lnb or what.
bob

Well that is another thing with weak satellites. I can get the strong satellites with a small dish, cheap LNB, and any old coax wire and coax connectors.

But for G10, I use the above and get very poor or no reception. If it is raining or cloudy, forget about it!

I now have a 1 meter fixed dish for this sat sprayed with that anti-rain fade satellite dish spray, an Invacom high quality low noise Ku LNBF, quad shielded coax cable, blue colored high frequency coax connectors where there is a connection in the coax, and compression (waterproof) coax F-connectors.

Then because it is a fixed dish, I have been able to aim the dish dead center up/down and left/right at G10.

So I now get very good reception on this sat rain or shine.

For me, 10r is the most frustrating bird there is. I have never been able to get it in my arc. During basketball season I don't get 10r at all or just a couple of tps. Then come the end of march, I go and repoint and get just 10r and strong tps other other sats. Sooner or later I'll get a dish just for 10r....just something else to spend money on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)