HBO and 5.1 audio?

RollTide1017

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Montgomery, AL
I've tried searching the forum and maybe I'm not using the right terms but, haven't found an answer. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past.

I just signed up for HBO for the first time ever with Dish just to watch Game Of Thrones (great show by the way). I was surprised that the audio was only stereo even though a HBO title card said that the show was in 5.1, this was all on the main HBO channel. I then checked the other HBO channels and all of them passed 5.1 audio except HBO2. So HBO and HBO2 (west versions as well) only pass stereo sound while the rest pass 5.1. Is this how it is suppose to be, is Dish having problems or am I missing a setting (although I don't see how it could be a setting when the others do pass 5.1)?

Would like to see GOT in 5.1 audio without having to wait later in the week for it to air on one of the other HBO channels.

Very strange indeed. I'm 100% sure that 5.1 has worked on HBO in the past, but I'm not home to check right now. Have you checked on multiple events? Maybe there was just something wrong with the feed on that event?

I am getting 5.1 on all of my HBOs via my VIP722 via optical to my Denon. I am on Western Arc. I think you are on Eastern Arc. Maybe someone with Eastern Arc can check to see if there is a problem with that configuration. By the way Tide, we can carry this conversation on here instead of AVS... ;)

I also get 5.1 for all HBO shows that support it and I do so via an optical connection to my receiver. I don't know if the dish HDMI connection passes 5.1.

Actually, the info card does not show 5.1 for me for Game of Thrones, nor does the HBO site for this Sunday.

Last edited:
I also get 5.1 for all HBO shows that support it and I do so via an optical connection to my receiver. I don't know if the dish HDMI connection passes 5.1.

It does pass 5.1 over HDMI. That was an oooooooold bug fixed during the days when Dish still carried Voom. BTW, I noticed the first episode of "Game of Thrones" was 5.1 with an EX flag passed to my receiver. So, it will even automatically matrix the surround channels to your rear channels if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup.

He's on western arc since that's where Montgomery, AL locals are at. SatelliteGuys.US_TheList - Dish Network Montgomery, AL

Well, that answers that question... If I get it, he should get it. Next we have to know how and what he is hooked up to. Although he says he is receiving 5.1 on the other HBO channels. Hmmm.... I'd still like to know if he is actually on WA or if he has a split configuration.

I'm on the western arc, eastern arc wasn't around when I joined Dish and they have never switched me.

I just checked HBO and it is passing 5.1 now. So, I guess it was just a coincidence that when I signed up for HBO on Sunday, both things playing on 1 & 2 where stereo. I'm a little surprised that a show like Game of Thrones isn't in 5.1, or at least Sunday's episode didn't record in 5.1.

Just for reference, I have a 722 feeding a Denon 2808 via an optical connection.

I've tried searching the forum and maybe I'm not using the right terms but, haven't found an answer. Sorry if this has been discussed in the past.

I just signed up for HBO for the first time ever with Dish just to watch Game Of Thrones (great show by the way). I was surprised that the audio was only stereo even though a HBO title card said that the show was in 5.1, this was all on the main HBO channel. I then checked the other HBO channels and all of them passed 5.1 audio except HBO2. So HBO and HBO2 (west versions as well) only pass stereo sound while the rest pass 5.1. Is this how it is suppose to be, is Dish having problems or am I missing a setting (although I don't see how it could be a setting when the others do pass 5.1)?

Would like to see GOT in 5.1 audio without having to wait later in the week for it to air on one of the other HBO channels.

How are you feeding the audio to your receiver?

Just for reference, I have a 722 feeding a Denon 2808 via an optical connection.
I've also noticed this type of problem on other channels at times.. one of my biggest gripes was to watch something that had DD5.1 think it was Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus ... and in 5.1 it lost several channels but the stereo feed was fine ... another in the long line of "...when I complained to Dish proper via Tech Chat ..." with no resolution other than "gee I don't know its probably your equipment mister customer" ... rather than take a report and get it into engineering so they could id if the problem was Dish's or the content provider (showtime I think was the case at the time)

I'm on the western arc, eastern arc wasn't around when I joined Dish and they have never switched me.

I just checked HBO and it is passing 5.1 now. So, I guess it was just a coincidence that when I signed up for HBO on Sunday, both things playing on 1 & 2 where stereo. I'm a little surprised that a show like Game of Thrones isn't in 5.1, or at least Sunday's episode didn't record in 5.1.

Directly from 722? FTR, optical output from TV will not be 5.1, just Dolby stereo (for HDMI connected devices).

He has already said that he is getting 5.1 on HBO as well as the other channels. He is wired correctly.......

Directly from 722? FTR, optical output from TV will not be 5.1, just Dolby stereo (for HDMI connected devices).
not sure if you're thinking of a specific model of TV .. my el-cheapo Dynex passes 5.1 (just tested).

If you're thinking HDCP maybe there would be some case for that ... but then that would rely on the TV to make that decision ... and I don't know if my quick test is ecompassing since I don't know which channels or content will cause the HDCP to be sent and require enforcement.

I tested two network stations (abc/nbc) and then tested HBO (300 HD), Palladia (369 HD), and I didn't catch what channel it was, but it was just now playing the tail and of Lavaboy & Shark Girl or some such.. also HD ... all triggered DD on my amp from both the TV and the 722k receiver. The TV is connected via HDMI (only).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts