HBO/Cinemax Takedown

Can't people who really want HBO buy it direct and stream it? Is there a price difference buying through DISH versus buying it directly?
Yes, they can, but... Not everyone has internet or have data caps so that can be an issue. The price is the same so that is a positive for those that can stream...

I want it in the Hopper.

Understand, but you nevertheless have options. I think this is what DISH is saying the real issue is. ATT is marketing it through cell phones, via Directv, via it's own website, and with all of that ATT wants DISH to commit to a minimum number of subscribers. How can DISH win in that situation. There's so much competition today in TV from Hulu, Netflix, all these over the top services, that ATT's position on HBO is silly and ridiculous. I think it's great DISH is standing still on this - the point needs to be made.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
This may be a stupid question, but, if the point of contention is that AT&T is in bed with DirecTV and not Dish, why is it that Dish has all the AT&T regional sports networks? (At least some of which aren't available on DirecTV, or so I heard from Pittsburgh Penguins fans at the start of the 2017-18 season which was the first season that AT&T owned the channels.)

This may be a stupid question, but, if the point of contention is that AT&T is in bed with DirecTV and not Dish, why is it that Dish has all the AT&T regional sports networks? (At least some of which aren't available on DirecTV, or so I heard from Pittsburgh Penguins fans at the start of the 2017-18 season which was the first season that AT&T owned the channels.)

DirecTV isn't 'in bed' with AT&T, they are totally owned and operated by AT&T.

Just wait until the contracts for the other channels that are owned by AT&T and Time Warner like TBS, TNT and CNN start coming up for renewal.

Understand, but you nevertheless have options. I think this is what DISH is saying the real issue is. ATT is marketing it through cell phones, via Directv, via it's own website, and with all of that ATT wants DISH to commit to a minimum number of subscribers. How can DISH win in that situation. There's so much competition today in TV from Hulu, Netflix, all these over the top services, that ATT's position on HBO is silly and ridiculous. I think it's great DISH is standing still on this - the point needs to be made.

No other option here except DirecTV. The DSL is too slow and the satellite internet is very limited so for us and millions of other customers it's DISH or DirecTV, period.

If this thing drags out i'll look into HBO NOW since it's one of the apps on my smart TV. And I suppose the price $14.99 per month should be offset by Dish not charging for HBO during the blackout.
FYI: I use Firetv box and HBO live on Amazon ( watch Real time last night )is in stereo/EDIT: same movies thru Amazon sound fine........... on Hbo Now audio is much better and has pause Dolby Digital + I think.. Hope dish gets it back soon for decent price.

Last edited:
Interesting. Maybe the HBO live tv option on Amazon is only available on some devices. I checked the Amazon Prime Apple TV app and could only see on demand content. Basically I care due to Real Time viewing. Neighbors come by to watch on Friday nights so waiting 24 hours to post on HBO Now isn’t good enough.

Frustrating. I have been a loyal HBO subscriber for two decades and now caught in the middle of some money making dispute between two companies.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It looks like Verizon Prepaid might be an option. It is less data than we have now with Cricket, but still within our budget, and it has all the features we need. I am not crazy about Verizon either, but they seem a little less evil than AT&T at the moment.

After asking around, it sounds like Verizon Prepaid is not a great option where I live. Coverage is good, but the network is really over-sold, and the prepaid service is heavily de-prioritized. Looks like I'll be sticking with Cricket until T-Mobile gets around to improving their service.

Talked to a tech rep while helping my brother. He said what ATT wants from Dish would probably result in a charge of $25-30.00 a month. Could be BS, but that's what he said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)