HBO/Cinemax Takedown

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
This is a lose-lose for Dish. If they accept the terms and pass on the rate hikes on to subscribers, they will either lose customers who are having to pay more for HBO than DTV subs do, or lose money having to offer concessions or discounts to keep them. Same goes for the channels being removed. DTV, er, ATT holds all the cards.

This is a lose-lose for Dish. If they accept the terms and pass on the rate hikes on to subscribers, they will either lose customers who are having to pay more for HBO than DTV subs do, or lose money having to offer concessions or discounts to keep them. Same goes for the channels being removed. DTV, er, ATT holds all the cards.
If Scott's article is correct, this is not simply about asking for more money/subscriber. It's also (if not solely) about guaranteeing a set number of subscribers. So even if there's no rate hike, if there's not enough subscribers, Dish would have to make up the difference to the guarantee number.

The problem for Dish is that they are the cut rate provider. So many of their customer typically subscribe to lower cost and smaller packages.

As far as Dish subs should be concerned, if you like watching HBO it might be time to start looking for another provider.

This ain’t ending soon!

Dish will never agree to a minimum subscriber count.

Dish has done this to themselves yet again. Sadly like the Yes Network, HBO May stay off Dish Indefinitely

Reactions: Pere845
Just curious, but for the "America's Everything Pack" but did that package drop in price since there is no more HBO and Cinemax?

Reactions: goaliebob99
GoT? I will be mad tomorrow night. I can't watch "Real Time". If I had kids, I would be really mad Saturday morning, as there would be no new "Sesame Street" for them.

For Univision, I could use an antenna. That's not possible with HBO. I assume HBO Go is also gone for Dish subscribers or will be soon. This has me furious. I better get a massive discount on my bill.

This isn't like the removal of Fox News or CNN a few years back. This is beyond dumb. It's not like they don't pass the cost on to consumers anyway.

Can’t miss Bill Maher on Friday. Hmm not good.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

The show (REAL TIME) is streamed live on Youtube. You can see the full episodes there usually within 24/48 hours.

This has gotten out of control. I can't believe the government has let AT&T acquire all this power.

It's not the government, it's the laws and the fact that our congress members have become bought and paid for by corporations and lobbyists. Get that money out of politics!

Welcome to the new world of "Deregulation".

Yep, we're going to see more of it.

The problem for Dish is that they are the cut rate provider. So many of their customer typically subscribe to lower cost and smaller packages.

As far as Dish subs should be concerned, if you like watching HBO it might be time to start looking for another provider.

This ain’t ending soon!

Dish has done this to themselves yet again. Sadly like the Yes Network, HBO May stay off Dish Indefinitely

Exactly. If I was a dish sub, I would drop my package down and sub to HBO NOW. The price to me as a consumer would be the same regardless. If I was running AT&T I would drop 5 bucks off the HBO NOW price for 6 months for new subscribers as a negotiating tool.

Dish has done this to themselves yet again.

I get that Dish has brought on a LOT of these disputes fighting to keep the content costs down, but in this instance, if AT&T is really pushing for a minimum subscriber count for premium channels (which is simply asinine greed on AT&T's part), then I fail to see how this would be a case of Dish bringing it on themselves.

This ain’t ending soon!

Given that the average cable bill has gone up 50% in 10 years, I think it is clear why Dish is still the value leader.

The Average Cable Bill is Now $107 a Month

At this point, I would not switch to DirecTV or Spectrum or Uverse because they simply cost too much.

Did Dish do this to themselves? Maybe. Or maybe they just happened to be the first big MVPD that came up for renewal after the TimeWarner acquisition. Will AT&T do the same thing to Charter or Comcast? If it works for AT&T against Dish, I fully expect them to try. This is why vertical mergers aren't as benign as people tend to think. The only reason Comcast didn't do the same after buying NBC/Universal is the government actually put conditions on them to prevent it.

If Scott's article is correct, this is not simply about asking for more money/subscriber. It's also (if not solely) about guaranteeing a set number of subscribers. So even if there's no rate hike, if there's not enough subscribers, Dish would have to make up the difference to the guarantee number.
That too. But even if the minimum subscriber thing isn't true, AT&T still has Dish over a monopoly barrel.

This ain’t ending soon!

And what are you going to say when Comcast, you know your other money maker, gets the same shaft. This isn't abut Dish, it's about AT&T vs all other providers....

This ain’t ending soon!

Doom & Gloom

Could this be the beginning of the Rapture ?

Given that the average cable bill has gone up 50% in 10 years, I think it is clear why Dish is still the value leader.

The Average Cable Bill is Now $107 a Month

At this point, I would not switch to DirecTV or Spectrum or Uverse because they simply cost too much.

Did Dish do this to themselves? Maybe. Or maybe they just happened to be the first big MVPD that came up for renewal after the TimeWarner acquisition. Will AT&T do the same thing to Charter or Comcast? If it works for AT&T against Dish, I fully expect them to try. This is why vertical mergers aren't as benign as people tend to think. The only reason Comcast didn't do the same after buying NBC/Universal is the government actually put conditions on them to prevent it.

Dish is no better than any other provider these days.

They used to offer a good value but what they don’t charge on their packages gets made up in excessive fees.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)