HBO/Cinemax Takedown

Everyone is always mentioning "Charlie's Greed". Well, I don't see greed working out as well these days with Dish losing subs left and right. Dish has 10+ million now? How many did have at its' peak? It is going to be hard to raise prices this year without Univision, HBO-Cinemax, and Tegna. Who know what service will be dropped by Feb/March and that can be added to the list.? I have supported Dish for years (and I still like them), however it is better to throw in the towel and pay a bit more to keep the channels.

I hate AT & T for several reasons dealing with my business phone...
I am now beginning to discover I can live without HBO too.
We have AT&T around here, but the service is down (cel Phone) often, I would never use them. I am with Verizon and they rarely have down time. Been with Verizon from the beginning, long before we even had AT&T out here.

Reactions: pattykay
Everyone is always mentioning "Charlie's Greed". Well, I don't see greed working out as well these days with Dish losing subs left and right. Dish has 10+ million now? How many did have at its' peak? It is going to be hard to raise prices this year without Univision, HBO-Cinemax, and Tegna. Who know what service will be dropped by Feb/March and that can be added to the list.? I have supported Dish for years (and I still like them), however it is better to throw in the towel and pay a bit more to keep the channels.
Yep, it's all about Charlie's greed that is causing the loss of subs.

We have AT&T around here, but the service is down (cel Phone) often, I would never use them. I am with Verizon and they rarely have down time. Been with Verizon from the beginning, long before we even had AT&T out here.

Must also have been Charlie's Greed that caused DirecTV to drop 369,000 subs last quarter on their way to over a million dropped for the year. :p

Must also have been Charlie's Greed that caused DirecTV to drop 369,000 subs last quarter on their way to over a million dropped for the year. :p

Dish ( and everyone else) was not much better-In the quarter, net DISH TV subscribers declined approximately 367,000 and Sling TV subscribers increased approximately 26,000.

Total loss from Dish this year-744,000

DISH Network Reports Third Quarter 2018 Financial Results
DISH Network Reports First Quarter 2018 Financial Results
DISH Network Reports Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That is a lot of subs 744K? If it goes like that too long, there will be very few left!

And DirecTV is projected to drop a million subs in a year's time. Both companies have apparently made a decision that there are some customers they're better off without as they're both looking for quality new customers and not qualifying a lot of others. They're both also letting a lot of customers go without even trying to keep them.

No matter which provider it is, paying the full price will not get the message across that pay TV is pricing itself into oblivion.

I for one am glad I'm not funneling my money to many of the Disney or Fox channels, nor the extorted locals retransmission.

Last edited:
I hate when a customer says “I have been a great customer paying on time for the last xx years”... no jimmy... you have only paid on time as long as you got your $50 credit each month. It’s cheaper to let you be someone else’s problem.

Almost all vendors, including Dish, operate on a negotiation/retention philosophy now. Only uninformed consumers pay full price, IMO. I negotiate contracts for my business and they all operate this way today.

About 5 years ago they had near 14 million subs. Now they are down to 10 million total subs with Sling tv included. That means that there only about 8 million satellite subs +2 million or so subs for Sling tv. At this rate they will continue to dwindle down in the next 5 years to under 5 million or so. Of course they could partner or be sold and this dynamic may change. The main thing that needs to change is full Ala cart and the end of forced bundling of channels in to programming packs. Let people buy what they want to and Not what they don't want. Canada has already done this a few years back. Charlie has copied what Canadian Satellite companies did in the past with the skinny packs and extra packs you can add for a smaller price. Now he needs to copy what Canada has done presently and end forced bundling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)