HBO/Cinemax Takedown

Game of Thrones stopped being unpredictable or interesting two seasons ago.

Meanwhile in the last two weeks ATT has killed off my wife's favorite streaming service (Drama fever), my favorite streaming service (Filmstruck), mainly it seems because they don't want what they call "niche" content distracting from their massive tentpole IP they're gong to inject into there own watered-down streaming service, and now they're essentially trying to kill my sat. company by leveraging their content acquisitions to force me onto their own platform.

The high seas are looking more and more bootyful every day. Yaaaaargh, mateys.

Leveraging a dominant position in one area of your business to promote another unrelated area of your business is what Microsoft was convicted of in an anti-trust trial during the '90s. This isn't all that different, using a dominant position in premium content provision (HBO) to promote the DirecTV business

Are we sure that it was AT&T that pulled the channels or was it Dish? I’m seeing some news sites saying it was Dish that pulled the plug:
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?
Dish customers lose HBO in ongoing distribution dispute
HBO, Cinemax Go Dark to Dish Customers
HBO Goes Dark for First Time Ever Over Dispute With Dish

Again, the terms are obviously secret, but generally it is up to the channel owner whether to pull it off the air. Both Dish and AT&T are accusing each other of pulling it, so who knows for sure?

Reactions: pattykay
An article bluegrass posted this morning said there are roughly 2.5 million HBO subs on dish. That is a big cash faucet for at&t, leave it off for a month or 2 and they'll change their tune.

No matter what happens it is not a game changer to switch providers, at least for me anyhow.

I just emailed ATT and told them that I was upset with their pulling of HBO and Cinemax from Dish. If the dispute does not get resolved quickly, I will never subscribe to HBO and Cinemax again . I have been an HBO and Cinemax customer since those services started. In addition , I am now actively researching other cell phone companies to switch my 18 year ATT cell phone service.

An article bluegrass posted this morning said there are roughly 2.5 million HBO subs on dish. That is a big cash faucet for at&t, leave it off for a month or 2 and they'll change their tune.

No matter what happens it is not a game changer to switch providers, at least for me anyhow.
It's just a matter of getting used to planning what you want to watch. As opposed to having push media you can join. After a lifetime of push, I'm getting used to searching and playing. About half of what I do is that. The only thing I'm going to miss about push TV is being able to tweet with friends while watching.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay
I suspect this is going to be long. Possibly permanent. I don’t think ATT -WANTS- Dish to carry HBO. The lost revenue is an investment in crushing Dish. And perhaps some others.

THEN watch what happens to their rates!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)