HBO/Cinemax Takedown

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have the America Everything package and pay $138 per month for it. This package contains HBO/Cinemax along with other premiums such as Showtime, Starz, etc. Does anyone know how they will figure what HBO/Cinemax is worth in this package so the refund/charges for just these channels are removed from the monthly package bill?

Get $20 when you start a phone plan with Google's Project Fi

Great for low data consumption, uses T-mobile, Sprint & US Cellular towers. Wifi calling is flawless, unlimited talk and text for 2 phones is $35 month and $0.01 per mb of data. Bill protection kicks in at 10gb. Been with them since 2016, bill is always under $50.
That sounds good, but for an inexpensive service, it kind of defeats the purpose when the phones are so expensive.

I'll stick with my $100 Galaxy J3 on Consumer Cellular for $40 for two lines.

Wrong, there are many CLEC’s that can provide local acces.

Being a CLEC I would disagree with that statement. There are some CLEC’s still around that just resell with a 10-15% margin. Att can easily submit new tariffs to raise. In a rural area no Clec would have in interest to using ATT assets they would just build there own. It takes a ton of capital to build and there are many areas with just the ILEC. I’ve seen it small business paying ATT over $100 for just 1 pots line.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

I have the America Everything package and pay $138 per month for it. This package contains HBO/Cinemax along with other premiums such as Showtime, Starz, etc. Does anyone know how they will figure what HBO/Cinemax is worth in this package so the refund/charges for just these channels are removed from the monthly package bill?
I just answered my own question. I chatted with Dish and they said the deduction to my bill is $22.50 a month.

Good. I hope the DOJ and Dish are working together. The minute AT&T decided that Dish needs to meet a subscriber quota for a premium service, they became the villain in my book. I also hope that AT&T has to back down on that part of agreement and when HBO and Cinemax return, they only get back 1% of who they had as subscribers from Dish before they pulled this stunt. We should have to cover the cost so DirecTV customers have it for free? Um, NOPE!

I have Verizon for cel phone service, which has the best coverage around here anyway. AT&T has tried to get me to switch. Not interested, especially what has happened now.

Verizon is second best where I live, but it should be good enough. It also has some huge gaps in data coverage in rural areas where we travel, but still better than T-Mobile (for now).

Reactions: osu1991
Good. I hope the DOJ and Dish are working together. The minute AT&T decided that Dish needs to meet a subscriber quota for a premium service, they became the villain in my book. I also hope that AT&T has to back down on that part of agreement and when HBO and Cinemax return, they only get back 1% of who they had as subscribers from Dish before they pulled this stunt. We should have to cover the cost so DirecTV customers have it for free? Um, NOPE!

IT's not dish's content. AT&T can stipulate what they feel is free market value for that content and if Dish doesn't like it then they don't have to accept. I see a lot of speculative comments on here blaming AT&T but no one for one moment is taking a step back to see the real picture that Dish has no leverage because they failed to see where the industry was going with content acquisitions. The real person you should be mad at is Charlie for not setting the company up for the future and banking on spectrum. Now, they are going to have to find some way to even the playing field for dish or this will continue to happen with other content providers as well. I do believe, that AT&T tried to negotiate in good faith given AT&T's statement.

"The Department of Justice collaborated closely with Dish in its unsuccessful lawsuit to block our merger. That collaboration continues to this day with Dish’s tactical decision to drop HBO – not the other way around. DOJ failed to prove its claims about HBO at trial and then abandoned them on appeal."

Honestly, the Trump admin hates AT&T so much that do you think it wouldn't be beyond the DOJ as directed by Trump to do something like that? It's not out of the realm of possibilities given the rhetoric the government has had against AT&T and if ATT gave Dish a sweetheart deal they probably would have denied it. After all, Dish also could have kept those channels up and backdated the contract as has been done in the past with negotiations like these. The fact they didn't speaks volumes given Dish's history.

After all, Dish also could have kept those channels up and backdated the contract as has been done in the past with negotiations like these. The fact they didn't speaks volumes given Dish's history.

Just curious why you think it is in Dish's power to keep the channels on if AT&T wanted them pulled. Clearly Dish can decide to drop them once the contract is up if they don't like the terms being offered, but it is just as likely that AT&T decided to pull the channels. The press from both sides blames the other, so it is impossible to tell unless you were inside the room when the decision happened.

Just curious why you think it is in Dish's power to keep the channels on if AT&T wanted them pulled. Clearly Dish can decide to drop them once the contract is up if they don't like the terms being offered, but it is just as likely that AT&T decided to pull the channels. The press from both sides blames the other, so it is impossible to tell unless you were inside the room when the decision happened.
Isn't that like every single other dispute?

Reactions: pattykay
Isn't that like every single other dispute?

Well, with locals, must carry comes into play, so you know it is the stations' decision to pull the channels, if I remember correctly. In this case I tend to believe Dish, as I doubt they want to deal with millions of unhappy customers calling in, processing credits, offering other channels to make amends, etc., but I don't put it past either side to lie about it.

386 still does not show up in my all channels list BTW.

Reactions: pattykay
I have been an HBO subscriber for 15 years, but I very well may not subscribe again after this dispute.

They are no longer carrying live boxing, so that is one fewer reason for me to want HBO. I just found out that Real Time is posted on YouTube a day or two after the original broadcast, so that is good enough for me there. That only leaves some of the original programming like Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Barry... and for those, I might just subscribe for a month each year to binge the latest season. I see very few reasons to maintain a running subscription anymore.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

IT's not dish's content. AT&T can stipulate what they feel is free market value for that content and if Dish doesn't like it then they don't have to accept. I see a lot of speculative comments on here blaming AT&T but no one for one moment is taking a step back to see the real picture that Dish has no leverage because they failed to see where the industry was going with content acquisitions. The real person you should be mad at is Charlie for not setting the company up for the future and banking on spectrum. Now, they are going to have to find some way to even the playing field for dish or this will continue to happen with other content providers as well. I do believe, that AT&T tried to negotiate in good faith given AT&T's statement.

"The Department of Justice collaborated closely with Dish in its unsuccessful lawsuit to block our merger. That collaboration continues to this day with Dish’s tactical decision to drop HBO – not the other way around. DOJ failed to prove its claims about HBO at trial and then abandoned them on appeal."

Honestly, the Trump admin hates AT&T so much that do you think it wouldn't be beyond the DOJ as directed by Trump to do something like that? It's not out of the realm of possibilities given the rhetoric the government has had against AT&T and if ATT gave Dish a sweetheart deal they probably would have denied it. After all, Dish also could have kept those channels up and backdated the contract as has been done in the past with negotiations like these. The fact they didn't speaks volumes given Dish's history.

But.... maybe not if they are acting in monopolistic way. If HBO were not owned by a company who also has a cable, satellite, and online TV service I would agree with you. That isn't the case. The Courts so far are allowing this so in the end maybe At&t can do this. But the Fat Lady has not had her final swan song yet.

hbo.jpg

A district judge overruled the objections to this merger by the DOJ who are appealing this decision. Now that the justification the DOJ presented for opposing this the merger has been realized, I would wager that their appeal will be successful, but that will probably take many months.

Dish is just the first to feel the impact of this merger, all others will follow except perhaps Direct TV because they're the same company. Can it get more unfair than that?

I've personally always thought the merger between Time Warner and AT&T to be a very bad idea. Good for them but bad for us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)