HBO/Cinemax Takedown

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Even with the merger being approved by the courts, there are still many regulatory rules and actual laws that apply relating to pricing, media distribution, tying products, etc. Telecommunications and media are not an Adam Smith-style free market in the US.

Dish is going to have to prove that and is going to have a hard time doing that. No one on here has been able to point out the rules or laws that say ATT must provide HBO to Dish, and won't because there are none.

The free market is fair and competitive. Dish could have purchased HBO, just like Comcast did with NBC, and Disney did with Fox.
No, they couldn't. Those purchases were in the range of $45-85 billion dollars. Dish is too small to make that kind of purchase. Remember, is isn't just HBO that was bought, it was the entire Time-Warner slate that AT&T purchased.

Also, content distributors also being content owners is the inherent problem here. See CSN Philly.

Dish is going to have to prove that and is going to have a hard time doing that. No one on here has been able to point out the rules or laws that say ATT must provide HBO to Dish, and won't because there are none.
Look at the Microsoft Anti-Trust action, Microsoft was convicted of leveraging dominance in one market to enhance its position in another market. AT&T/HBO has a dominant position in one market, Premium Pay Content, and appears to be attempting to leverage that position to enhance its satellite business, DirecTV. The link between Operating System-->Browser is equivalent to Premium Pay Content-->Content Delivery.

Well, I would guess that the restraint of trade section of the Sherman Act might apply as AT&T is both a competitor and a supplier to Dish. Since this is probably new legal territory, the rule of reason will likely have to apply, which complicates things even further. Monopolization and Abuse of a Dominant Position would also likely apply since Dish is AT&T's only competitor in satellite tv delivery in the US. I am not a legal scholar, so there are probably a ton more which would apply. Those are just off the top of my head.

Actually, my argument is really rock solid. Nice try though. It doesn't matter when HBO was available and who owned it in the past. The reality is (which you cannot accept) is that Dish cannot come to an agreement with AT&T who owns the content. Dish has no leverage, and neither does your argument. Also, your MLB Example is not the same because DirecTV did not own the MLB content. MLB Media did and was forcing the other providers to match DirecTV's offer at the time and even said themselves it wasn't exclusive. MLB Pitches DirecTV Deal To FCC If what your alluding to was the case, then NFL ST wouldn't be an exclusive on DirecTV, still today as it is. Also, you fail to realize that AT&T can because there is no agreement and dish refused to extend the previous contract. You want to blame me for being a loyal fan when I have taken the standpoint that really the right standpoint to take as Dish doesnt have the right to that content. It's the same as an HOA trying to dictate what you can do with your house when your not apart of the HOA. Dish can't dictate how and who ATT can sell HBO too, neither can the government at this point. You dismiss buying the network as it doesn't mean anything when it clearly does. Had dish bough content they wouldn't be at a market disadvantage and was inept on Dish.
I disagree. But, I've been through discussions like this before. Guess what? Kevin Bacon was in Footloose.

There is a difference betwee. MLB EI and NFL ST. In the US, the NFL has always been exclusively on DirecTV. The MLB EI was available across platforms, hence why Congress got involved. Again, BIG DIFFERENCE. As I said, had HBO been DirecTV exclusive since its inception, this would be a whole separate discussion.

What's up with your accusation based language? On second thought, don't join the Pit. Either the members will chew you up and spit you out, or the mods will kick you out for attempting to flame other members. We're disagreeing, not starting a bar fight.

I don't see this any other way but that it is going to be bad for consumers. How anyone in Government thought owning programming content by the same companies who provide the services to watch it is beyond me.
Take away a level playing field and it is no longer the free market place. If HBO when on it's own had demanded higher prices just like Disney or Discovery can do that is far different than when a competitor holds the cards to content and has a vested interest you failing. Isn't that exact opposite of how it was, those with content wanted you to do well so people would be watching their content and they could get paid from several TV providers?

Content is king how often have we here said that, most of us will watch SD if the content is compelling enough. People will acknowledge DISH has better equipment but want the perceived (real or not) better sports on Directv. Some get cable over Satellite because they want the local cable news channels only available on their cable networks, or localized weather etc etc...
Can At&t buy Discovery too? ESPN from Disney?

Content is king how often have we here said that, most of us will watch SD if the content is compelling enough.

There are plenty of stations I would watch, but refuse to watch because of the way Dish downconverts an HD signal and makes it unwatchable with the ridiculous formatting.

I have said it before, but i can't understand why the industry is still catering to the very few with 4/3 ratio tv's to the detriment of everyone else.

How anyone in Government thought owning programming content by the same companies who provide the services to watch it is beyond me.

Because the industry hires lobbyists to write bills and to deliver big checks to congressman, senators, and the President's lawyer.

In fact, At&t finally decided it wouldn't be filling Congressman King's pockets anymore, but look at how bad it had to get before they stopped giving him money.

Those big donations tend to change their way of thinking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181102-191222.png
    Screenshot_20181102-191222.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
I have said it before, but i can't understand why the industry is still catering to the very few with 4/3 ratio tv's to the detriment of everyone else.
Willing to bet there is a lot more 4/3 ratio TVs hooked to satellite feeds than you think there are, Dish and DirecTV wouldn't be offering the SD only service if there wasn't a demand. Lots of vacation rentals and cabins still have an old CRT in them many with a VCR and satellite feed hooked up.

Reactions: pattykay
I have been an HBO subscriber for 15 years, but I very well may not subscribe again after this dispute.

They are no longer carrying live boxing, so that is one fewer reason for me to want HBO. I just found out that Real Time is posted on YouTube a day or two after the original broadcast, so that is good enough for me there. That only leaves some of the original programming like Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley, Barry... and for those, I might just subscribe for a month each year to binge the latest season. I see very few reasons to maintain a running subscription anymore.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Actually, they do still carry live Boxing. I record Boxing every time it airs

Reactions: charlesrshell
Actually, they do still carry live Boxing. I record Boxing every time it airs
Only through the end of this year, which I think is just one more broadcast. They have already announced they will not be broadcasting boxing beyond this year.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

And from where I stand......

Someone mentioned losing subscribers and cord cutting, etc.

I have a friend that installs for DTV. In the last few months ,we've hired 2 guys that used to install for DTV. I ask all three the same question; How often do you replace Dish network out there? All three consistently say rarely. 1 gave me about 20% of the new connects are replacing Dish. I asked one, a few months after working here and he said he was shocked at how often we're replacing Direct. In my area - Central, IL, in the several months I've been in Columbus, OH, in Buffalo, NY for 3 weeks, in Sioux Falls, SD for 2 weeks - in other words, a pretty solid slice of markets, I can say I consistently replace DirecTV on a solid 90% of my new connects. I can only assume that much, most of the country is probably the same.

If you're losing that much business to the competition, what would you do to try and tip the scales back? Not that I'm going to say this is the biggest motivation for the take down, but something I can't help but think about....

Willing to bet there is a lot more 4/3 ratio TVs hooked to satellite feeds than you think there are, Dish and DirecTV wouldn't be offering the SD only service if there wasn't a demand. Lots of vacation rentals and cabins still have an old CRT in them many with a VCR and satellite feed hooked up.
Yes, they still exist and the fact they still have those old crt's show that they aren't worried about the picture at all. Therefore, if they lost the content on the edges of their picture they would be ok with that. In fact, they would probably prefer that the whole screen was filled rather than have unused space at the top and bottom of the picture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts