HBO/Cinemax VOD HD

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Glasses 3D isnt going anywhere, and the glasses will drop this year, as well as every year afterwards. Like I said, this attitudes remind me of Blu-ray so bad, its amusing. The stuff just came out, you can't expect it to be cheap in year 2, just doesn't happen. It's always for the early adopters in the beginning, then around year 3-4 things are bearable. After that, they just get down right cheap. I'm glad Directv already has a decent offering, one that will only get better.

"It's not raining in my backyard, therefore it's not raining anywhere"

:rolleyes:

I will agree, prices will drop as the technology gets more widely available.

Would I run out today to buy a 3D TV when I have a perfectly good TV hanging on the wall?
No

But I wouldn't buy a new one today unless it was 3D.

Fortunately I am patient and don't feel the need to have it when it first comes out.

And to think it was not long ago that a TV you could hang on the wall cost as much as small car. lol

Nah, no need to replace for 3D, it's in it's early growing stages. I always end up being an early adopter (or guinea pig), so it does not bother me. Just heard earlier that 81 million HDTV's shipped global in 2010, 9% of that revenue was 3DTV's. Im sure many of them got a 3DTV by default and dont plan on 3D.

I am going to try to catch up on boardwalk now thats its in HD :)

It's pretty good, kinda slow at times. Wish I woulda had VOD when it was running, because I had the image pulse and it was very distracting during certain episodes. Due to that issue, Ill be downloading every epi of Game of Thrones, and just downloaded Sunset Limited this AM.

Nah, no need to replace for 3D, it's in it's early growing stages. I always end up being an early adopter (or guinea pig), so it does not bother me.

I figure I would rather be late in the technology where not only is it cheaper but better quality.

I hate being the guinea pig. lol

Just heard earlier that 81 million HDTV's shipped global in 2010, 9% of that revenue was 3DTV's. Im sure many of them got a 3DTV by default and dont plan on 3D.

Yeah globally, I wonder what the US percentage is.

also, it says 9% of the revenue which means since a 3D TV costs a lot more then an LCD or Plasma the number is skewed to hype them up more.

I still say they are the future but it will be a few years before you can expect a lot of 3D channels.

I was wondering about the lack of HD channels in the HBO/Cinemax Packages on DirecTV.

I know DirecTV signed a new carriage agreement to get the HBO/Cinemax HD VOD content. I'm hoping DirecTV adding HD content on the VOD HBO/Cinemax means DirecTV will be carrying more of the HBO/Cinemax Channels in HD very Soon.

John

3D is definitely the wave of the future, but it has been several months since I have hooked up a 3D TV and I would say close to half the HD TV's I hook up are new.
I would say I see 20-30 customers a week and in the last year I could count all the 3D TV's I have seen on one hand.

Just not that many people getting 3D TV's
Many of them would rather pay the extra money for a bigger set rather then for 3D.

Not to mention that if they offer you HBO 3D, then why would you pay for their VOD 3D movies?

The titles HBO is offering through their VOD service are titles that are already playing on HBO, Monsters Vs. Aliens, Coraline, Open Season. Nothing to do with the pay titles being offered on the premium on demand channel.

S~

Nah, no need to replace for 3D, it's in it's early growing stages. I always end up being an early adopter (or guinea pig), so it does not bother me. Just heard earlier that 81 million HDTV's shipped global in 2010, 9% of that revenue was 3DTV's. Im sure many of them got a 3DTV by default and dont plan on 3D.

I too normally will get the new stuff early, however this is one I will pass on ... seeing my TV's are only a few years old and VERY good ones at that.
I have been watching HD since around '99 from what I remember, of course this was OTA networks as D* had not started with HD yet.
I believe that HDNet was the FIRST HD channel on D* (Thank you Mr. Cuban) and it was offered to D* FREE, to get things started.
IF I were in the market to get a new TV, Yes, I would get a 3D as it's pretty much part of most high end sets at this time.

Chances are, something else will come out that is the new toy before I need a new set.

3D will be implemented on MOST tv's this year. Tv manufactures find that it is not expensive to add to the tv's while still charging a pretty penny for those damn glasses. Samsung has even changed their type of 3D glasses (RF). They will ONLY work on the 2011 models.

It WON'T go BIG TIME till one of two things happen, either you DON'T need GLASSES, or the Glasses drop in price to about $50 a pair or less.

I know for a fact that I won't be replacing my Pioneer Elite TV's anytime soon to put a 3D set in.
I probably won't need another TV for 15 years.

bought my glasses( 6 pairs) for 49.00 each with free shipping. if you shop around, you can find them for that. as far as your pioneer tv goes. i would buy another tv either. but when you do, you will be amazed at the quality of the 3d, both on direct and blu ray

as far as glasses go. stay away from buying top brand tv glasses. look at buying optoma, nxg, or other non oem. i have 2 pair of samsung glasses. 110.00 each. i bought the crappy unnamed brand glasses, and they are the ones my wife and i use on a regular basis. better fast motion effects and seem to be same or slightly better pic quality thru lenses. just be sure to match the glasses specs to the specs of your tv.

Problem with off brand glasses is they can be tinted in different ways than OEM, which are tinted one way for a reason. This is big especially with a calibrated display. I'll only buy OEM for glasses.

Also, I think we veered way off topic :)

Problem with off brand glasses is they can be tinted in different ways than OEM, which are tinted one way for a reason. This is big especially with a calibrated display. I'll only buy OEM for glasses.

Also, I think we veered way off topic :)

i have two sets of mitsubishi glasses. and three sets of nxg and and optoma dlp link. so far. the after markets are better in every way. i would highly recommend aftermarket.

my friend just bought some glasses with no name brand off ebay. he brought them over tonight and they work great. here is the link

3D TV Glasses for Samsung or Mitsubishi. Free Shipping - eBay (item 250772301185 end time Feb-17-11 14:34:51 PST)
normally agree with using oem products. but in this case. for the price of oem's sticking it to customers, the aftermarkets are way better. i have also noticed better high speed fast moving or 3d tracking with all of the aftermarkets over the oem.

elwaylite said:
Glasses 3D isnt going anywhere, and the glasses will drop this year, as well as every year afterwards. Like I said, this attitudes remind me of Blu-ray so bad, its amusing. The stuff just came out, you can't expect it to be cheap in year 2, just doesn't happen. It's always for the early adopters in the beginning, then around year 3-4 things are bearable. After that, they just get down right cheap. I'm glad Directv already has a decent offering, one that will only get better.

"It's not raining in my backyard, therefore it's not raining anywhere"

:rolleyes:

As usual, you are missing everyones point but your own. The raining analogy makes no sense to what he said! I happen to be on the side of why would I ever want to sit in my house and wear glasses to watch tv? Never will happen in my home. Hd is all I need.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts