Hbo-hd, Showtime-hd

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chewy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2004
I am receiving HBO-HD on channel 509 and on channel 70. SHOWTIME-HD comes in on channels 543 and 71. Anyone know why they would be wasting an extra channel on these two stations?

It's not wasting anything. It's just mapped to the same channel number. Only one channel's worth of data is coming to you. So if you are thinking "Why are they wasting the bandwidth on this when they could be bringing me another HD channel?" it's not quite correct thinking.

Why remap? To me showing the same channel on two different locations doesn't seem practicle.

*patiently waiting for DaJoker's wisdom to help my think correctly*

By being mapped, there just listed twice - once is in the HBO / Shotime groupings of channels, and then once in the HD grouping (which is especially nice for us HD junkies who will look for an HD movie)

fkostyn has it exactly right. It's a convenience issue for some people. Because it's HD, some folks think it belongs down with the other HD channels. Then there are others who think that because it is HBO, it belongs on the 500's with the other HBO channels. Since it doesn't really have a cost at all, why not place it in both locations.

Thanks for the reply's. It all makes sense now. FYI I like it with all the other HD channels area

Just out of curiosity (not that it really matters to me, since I don't have or plan to get HD), but why don't they also put Bravo-HD on 274 and TND-HD on 246? The network HD channels could be remapped to the 390's as well.

jpurkey said:
Just out of curiosity (not that it really matters to me, since I don't have or plan to get HD), but why don't they also put Bravo-HD on 274 and TND-HD on 246? The network HD channels could be remapped to the 390's as well.
Those channels don't show up in SD receivers programming guides so only HD receivers would see them. If they are already in the HD group why should they show up elsewhere. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)