hbo hdcp

rogerpl

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 7, 2007
Northern Vt.
Woke up this morning to find the HDCP message on my HBO channels. Anything I can do? This is the 2nd tv via coax to an old Sony.

My HBO recordings are HDCP blocked when using the RF out to an old tube TV with my 612. This used to work when I was with D*. Is this new or are there differences in the way E* and D* treat HDCP on non HD outputs?

My LR television, an older Olevia HDTV hooked to a 622 via HDMI, got the on screen messages this afternoon for all of the HBO channels. TV2 is unaffected. Reset. Nothing. Switch to Showtime, I guess???

try using component cables instead. I have a similar situation with my 722. If I use HDMI TV1 works fine but TV2 HDCP will only work if the TV1 Tv is powered on. This is a known issue that I gave up on waiting for software to resolve. I switched to component and everything is all good. Stupid to have to do that but whatever works you know.

try using component cables instead. I have a similar situation with my 722. If I use HDMI TV1 works fine but TV2 HDCP will only work if the TV1 Tv is powered on. This is a known issue that I gave up on waiting for software to resolve. I switched to component and everything is all good. Stupid to have to do that but whatever works you know.

Thanks. My components are used up so I just cancelled HBO instead. I don't quite understand the motivation on their part. Movie torrents come out their first week in theaters and HDCP is broken, anyway - Thrones and True Blood will be out twenty minutes after they air. They've done some cool things with HBO GO and On Demand, trendsetters really, so this I just don't get... another anti-piracy initiative that promotes piracy.

We have four tv's hooked up to a four 612 receivers.

My TV is a Toshiba 32" 1080p set from 2008. I still get HBO.
My mothers TV is a Sony 32" 720p set from 2011. She still gets HBO.
My grandmothers TV is a old Magnavox 32" SD from 1994 hooked up coax and HBO still works on there.
I have not tried my uncles old Magnavox 32" SD from 1990 hooked up coax but GOT will be coming back soon and he will let me know if he can't get it. They said that they would get new TV's last year. Maybe then finally him and my grandmother can upgrade there ancient sets.

An update on my HBO hdcp problem. I cancelled hbo. During the free preview in March I checked again and it was still not working on my LR set. Today, I wake up and for whatever reason (I didn't order it) HBO is back on and the channels come in - no hdcp. Not complaining, just an update. I don't know what their deal is.

I was able to work around this for a component connected sling on a 612 by adding an hdmi switch between the 612 and the TV. If I select a source OTHER THEN the 612, the 612 thinks there is no HDMI connection and the component comes alive.

The Harmony can automate this with an IR send to the HDMI switch when "exiting the activity".

From what I have read, HBO's HDCP issues on the ViP Duo receivers only show up when TV1 is on HDMI. As long as the TV1 is HDCP capable, I believe that the only way around the HDCP issue on TV2 is to have TV1 on as well as TV2. If TV1 is not HDCP capable through HDMI, then the only way around the HDCP issues is to use component cables, at which point TV2 will no longer have HDCP issues.

P.S. Those saying they won't upgrade to Hopper, your loss! I'm loving my Hoppers!

I was able to work around this for a component connected sling on a 612 by adding an hdmi switch between the 612 and the TV. If I select a source OTHER THEN the 612, the 612 thinks there is no HDMI connection and the component comes alive.

The Harmony can automate this with an IR send to the HDMI switch when "exiting the activity".

This is a different issue than the HDCP issue. What your issue is is that the component outputs are not live while HDMI is in use. However that's a great idea, and could be helpful for others with issues similar to yours.

Last edited: