HBO Max viewing with Hopper3

Green Tiki

Original poster
Dec 25, 2020
under the sea
I was gifted a subscription to HBO Max this year, and I'm struggling to find a reasonable way to view it with my setup. I do not have regular HBO as part of my Dish package.

I have a Hopper3 and a dumb Samsung TV with 2 HDMI inputs, one for the Hopper3, one for a PlayStation 3.

There doesn't seem to an HBO app on the Hopper or the PS3. I have a PC near(ish) the television, so to test the subscription, I ran a cable from the PC to the TV, temporarily removed one of the HDMI cables, and set up the computer to use the TV as a second monitor. It's clumsy, but it works. It's actually nice to be able to search with a real keyboard.

But the HDMI ports are not easily accessible, and unplugging and replugging is a real nuisance.

My first instinct was to look for an app, which doesn't seem to be an option. Then I was hoping the Hopper3 might have a secondary HDMI input, but it doesn't seem to, and I'm not sure how I would switch to the PC output in any case. Third consideration was some kind of HDMI splitter or hub, and I'd love to have something that doesn't require another remote, but I'm not sure how a dumb splitter would work if all three systems were on at the same time. How would it know which one I wanted to watch? A box with a manual switch would actually be preferable. No remote to lose, no more batteries to worry about.

I was looking at a Roku, but that doesn't really solve the fundamental issue with the inputs, and, again, I don't really want ANOTHER remote.

So, all that said, any suggestions? What's the simplest thing I can do to get this output on my TV?

My first thought was to have you get a Roku as well, but as you said, that doesn't solve the lack of HDMI's ....

Therefore, I think KAB has the Best solution ...

I would stay away from the real cheap TV's as many are made with very few HDMI's in them (when you get a TV that can only be bought at one place or another, they are usually made with less features for a better price ... I found that out when I got my Sister a TV for Christmas one year, whenI set it up for her, she ended up not having any extra HDMI's to add any thing on either.

One other thing to thing about is, if you get a 4k, Sony for example has the Android OS built in, which gives you the Google Play Station available to you, so you can download Many Apps right to the TV .... this eliminates the need for a Roku or Fire stick in many situations, Also will have ones like Netflix and various other already loaded.
I'm thinking that Sony isn't the only ones that do that, just the ones that I know of off hand.

Look at the model numbers when you are getting a TV, in the model number, often times will be a number (or letter) that tells you the level of tyhe TV as well as the Year the TV was made ... Sometimes you can get a Very nice TV that may be last years model that would turn into a very good deal for you.

I would say to make sure it has at least 3 or 4 at a minimum (hdmi's).

Reactions: charlesrshell
Only two HDMI inputs is old frontier.
True, but so is having component inputs! This shortcoming made me buy a component to HDMI converter which, fortunately has been working reliably for about a year even though it's constantly plugged in. :D Unfortunately, the signal is coming from my H3 and doesn't pass 4K even though the TV in question is 4K. :(

Reactions: charlesrshell
I appreciate your advice, but I'm not going to buy another TV until either this one dies or I get a larger one. I've already got one the maximum size of the furniture it's on, so I'm not actually interested in an upgrade.

I also do not want a smart TV, and I don't believe if I'd purchased one when I got the TV that it would have helped in this situation. Would an old Samsung talk to HBO? At any rate, the question is moot.

I honestly don't even care much about HBO Max. The only things that looked appealing were one fairly recent movie I missed and an ancient one from 1931 that I've never had the opportunity to see. Oh, and the Studio Ghibli films. I don't watch much television, and this thoughtful gift has turned into a project I don't want. "Thanks for the subscription, now I have to go to the furniture store!"

I was looking on Amazon and I think a manual HDMI switch might be my best option.

I was hoping you guys might be able to come up with some clever hack to bounce the signal around, but I realize the media companies are making everything unreasonably difficult by fracturing this way.

Someone is going to make a mint by designing a universal content delivery system that looks just like the old cable model, where you can flip channels and discover programming you wouldn't otherwise seek out and you pay one fee to one company that gives you the content you want without knowing which studio produced it.

Even my 14 yr old Samsung plasma has 3 HDMIs
Ya, I figured at least 3-4 ...
I happen to have 7 inputs.
Not all are HDMI's.

Then again, this time around I ran everything thru my Yamaha RX A-1080, so most of my HDMI cables go that route instead of the TV.
This allows for only really needing 1 HDMI to the TV.
Lots of times people are having thier A/V recvrs do the switching now, this allows you to only need 1 cable if your fishing a wall for a wall mounted TV.

Ya, I figured at least 3-4 ...
I happen to have 7 inputs.
Not all are HDMI's.

Then again, this time around I ran everything thru my Yamaha RX A-1080, so most of my HDMI cables go that route instead of the TV.
This allows for only really needing 1 HDMI to the TV.
Lots of times people are having thier A/V recvrs do the switching now, this allows you to only need 1 cable if your fishing a wall for a wall mounted TV.
That's how I do it, especially with a wall mount tv.

I was gifted a subscription to HBO Max this year, and I'm struggling to find a reasonable way to view it with my setup. I do not have regular HBO as part of my Dish package.

I have a Hopper3 and a dumb Samsung TV with 2 HDMI inputs, one for the Hopper3, one for a PlayStation 3.

There doesn't seem to an HBO app on the Hopper or the PS3. I have a PC near(ish) the television, so to test the subscription, I ran a cable from the PC to the TV, temporarily removed one of the HDMI cables, and set up the computer to use the TV as a second monitor. It's clumsy, but it works. It's actually nice to be able to search with a real keyboard.

But the HDMI ports are not easily accessible, and unplugging and replugging is a real nuisance.

My first instinct was to look for an app, which doesn't seem to be an option. Then I was hoping the Hopper3 might have a secondary HDMI input, but it doesn't seem to, and I'm not sure how I would switch to the PC output in any case. Third consideration was some kind of HDMI splitter or hub, and I'd love to have something that doesn't require another remote, but I'm not sure how a dumb splitter would work if all three systems were on at the same time. How would it know which one I wanted to watch? A box with a manual switch would actually be preferable. No remote to lose, no more batteries to worry about.

I was looking at a Roku, but that doesn't really solve the fundamental issue with the inputs, and, again, I don't really want ANOTHER remote.

So, all that said, any suggestions? What's the simplest thing I can do to get this output on my TV?
Get a larger smart Samsung TV. Mine has virtually every app available including HBO MAX. No need to go through the H3.

Reactions: jannah
Well, I suppose I did ask for suggestions, but if the difference is between $10 for a switcher or a new wall unit and a new television, I think I'll go with the switcher.

Does anyone have a suggested brand or type of switcher to recommend or avoid?
RCA made a manual one (push button), so no remote, you can still find those on ebay, the newer ones all have remotes.

found one-

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Get a larger smart Samsung TV. Mine has virtually every app available including HBO MAX. No need to go through the H3.
Does it have Apple+? Mine doesn't. That's why rely my Rokus or Apple TV, not smart tvs.

That's how I do it, especially with a wall mount tv.
I typically don't go this route and just go all my inputs to the TV, but decided to go the other route this time, this allowed me to see the Recvr Volume on the TV when adjusted ...
However, it doesn't show the Volume when Streaming, unfortunately...

Does it have Apple+? Mine doesn't. That's why rely my Rokus or Apple TV, not smart tvs.
The Android based ones you can load anything in the Play Store.

Makes it very easy to add apps ...

And, Yes, as the app gets updated, the ones on the TV does as well as ... at least the Sony's update quite often.

Well, I suppose I did ask for suggestions, but if the difference is between $10 for a switcher or a new wall unit and a new television, I think I'll go with the switcher.

Does anyone have a suggested brand or type of switcher to recommend or avoid?
My brand has been discontinued but it's a 1 in and 5 out with a small remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)