HBO Max - WarnerMedia Announces Upcoming Streaming Service

One of the reasons I switched to an Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019. Have all you mentioned but wanted something open and reliable. Still haven't solved the Apple TV puzzle but can sort of get it on the others by having and Apple ID and buying a la carte. Haven't found the need to do that. The Shield is open product that can handle Plex, Kodi, and OTA TV. Plug in a powered USB hub and it becomes a mini-PC.

I was able to link my Fiber 1000 account for free HBOMax. Now I just need them to come to terms with Roku and Firestick, or for someone to publish how to sideload the app on Firestick.

They said the HBO Now app would automatically update to HBO Max. Well, it didn't on my iPhone or iPad. If you go into HBO Now, it's the old HBO Now. I went to the app store and searched for HBO Max and it said open. I tapped it and it just took me to HBO Now. I had to delete HBO Now and install HBO Max for it to be HBO Max. HBO Now does not have all the new shows.

• Wow
Reactions: harshness
They said the HBO Now app would automatically update to HBO Max. Well, it didn't on my iPhone or iPad. If you go into HBO Now, it's the old HBO Now. I went to the app store and searched for HBO Max and it said open. I tapped it and it just took me to HBO Now. I had to delete HBO Now and install HBO Max for it to be HBO Max. HBO Now does not have all the new shows.

It was ready to upgrade on my ipad but still pissed it is not on my Roku.

Just noticed all the old Godzilla movies are on it, something to watch while on the exercise bike.

Just discovered the old black and white Popeye cartoons and the classic Looney Tunes.

I am retired and still do not have enough time to watch everything I want to.

Last edited:
Reactions: mackie99
They have HBO Now and HBO Go on the ROKU, not sure why they haven't done it. I use my ROKU on my 940C and really didn't want to hook up the Shield. No problem setting it up on the Shield or 950G in the bedroom. Will try the AppleTV next. Surprised they were able to make a deal for the Harry Potter films since NBC/Universal has the broadcast rights right now.

S~

Underwhelmed, this is just hbo now/go with a library of older tv shows and cartoons. No reason they needed yet another app for this, other than to lure people in with the buzz a new app release brings. At the very least I was hoping for a live hbo feed, similar to the showtime app. Just glad I kept my older AT&T wireless plan, because AT&T has been cancelling the free hbo a few of us have been getting since 2017, if you switch to the elite tier.

At the very least I was hoping for a live hbo feed, similar to the showtime app.
Are there plans to add a Live TV feed? I already had the ability to watch Live HBO through the Amazon add-on channel. It would be a shame if that doesn't come to HBO Max in some form.

Looks like Aptiode app store has HBOMax for Firestick. As a non-Android user (aside from neutered Amazon products), I am unfamiliar with third party app stores. Does this sound like a safe thing to do?

Looks like Aptiode app store has HBOMax for Firestick. As a non-Android user (aside from neutered Amazon products), I am unfamiliar with third party app stores. Does this sound like a safe thing to do?

FWIW: I was able to install HBO Max via Aptiode on a Firestick 4k, and it seems to work fine, at least initially. One thing to note is the logo is still the HBO Now logo in the UI, but it is definitely the HBO Max app once it is open. I will use it for a while to see if it is good enough to hold me over until Amazon and AT&T work things out.

HBO Max is now available through Youtube TV for $14.99.

What's weird is HBO is also available for $14.99.
My guess is YTTV is contractually obligated to offer HBO as a standalone. I noticed they "hid" the standalone HBO at the bottom of the list of all the add-on options, whereas HBO Max is at the very top (with Showtime, Starz, Cinemax and Epix). If someone signs up for HBO Max, the checkbox for standalone HBO disappears, so it's impossible to sign up for both through YTTV by mistake.

From what I'm hearing of the HBO Max offerings (or lack thereof), HBO content would be all I'd want anyway.

My guess is YTTV is contractually obligated to offer HBO as a standalone. I noticed they "hid" the standalone HBO at the bottom of the list of all the add-on options, whereas HBO Max is at the very top (with Showtime, Starz, Cinemax and Epix). If someone signs up for HBO Max, the checkbox for standalone HBO disappears, so it's impossible to sign up for both through YTTV by mistake.

From what I'm hearing of the HBO Max offerings (or lack thereof), HBO content would be all I'd want anyway.

I wanted HBO Max because switching to it saves me $15/month. The only thing I have really found to watch is Doctor Who season 11 which I somehow missed on BBC America.

Well, the LAUNCH today is a bit wimped out since they have yet to come to terms with Roku, FireTV and LG.

Even "if" I was interested, the only way I could it is via my Chromecast. Not being on Roku or the FireStick is not a good idea. That better change as they are leaving out a lot potential customers. HBO Now on on both, so why not HBO Max? Odd.

If that was the case, then HBO Max would indeed be on Roku and Fire TV.

Weird thing I found was I cancelled HBO Now 5/15 so there were no conflicts when Max was released. Installed Max and got on with my AT&T fiber logon. It seemed to just morph Now into Max. Content was different but I had to manually edit the icon to Max on all three Android devices. As for Max on my Fire stick 4K, no way. But, Now is now reactivated for free I guess through my AT&T fiber account. Definitely not Max though. Go figure? As for LG WebOS, still no HBO at all. Tried sideloading Max from APK Mirror to Fire stick and no joy. Rejected it.

Weird thing I found was I cancelled HBO Now 5/15 so there were no conflicts when Max was released. Installed Max and got on with my AT&T fiber logon. It seemed to just morph Now into Max. Content was different but I had to manually edit the icon to Max on all three Android devices. As for Max on my Fire stick 4K, no way. But, Now is now reactivated for free I guess through my AT&T fiber account. Definitely not Max though. Go figure? As for LG WebOS, still no HBO at all. Tried sideloading Max from APK Mirror to Fire stick and no joy. Rejected it.

I was able to get it to load no problem on my Firesticks using the Aptiode app store. Not sure if that is appealing to you or not, but I thought you might wan to know.

I feel deceived by HBO on this. I am sure the intent never was to have massive numbers of people 'sideload' a HBO Max application to their Fire. I tried and it loaded, but it does not work right from the phone app. I need to find an Android TV app and that likely will work.

My Rokus are another story, I am not really sure there is a work around here.

HBO dropped the ball here. If I can't get this figure out by this weekend I am cancelling HBO and disputing the charge on my credit card. Total BS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)