HBO on DirecTVNow vs. HBONow

alokep

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 29, 2013
USA
I signed up for one of the unlimited data ultra packages and as a result, I have a new DirecTVNow account.

The account shows HBO as a subscribed network. So far so good.

Before I cancel my existing HBONow subscription, I have a few questions about what to expect from watching HBO using DirecTVNow.

1. I notice that Game Of Thrones was available to stream live and on demand at the same time that it aired (9 PM Eastern). This is the same as in HBONow. This is good. Is DirecTVNow reliable in live-streaming and on-demand availability GOT on time?

2. I notice that other HBO shows that I watch on-demand the day after they are shown on HBO: Real Time w Bill Mahr, Last Week Tonight, are delayed on DirecTVNow. HBONow has those available promptly (like it does for all HBO shows). However, it takes 1.5 - 2 days for the on-demand show to become available on DirecTVNow. Is this normal? How many days does it take DirecTVNow to provide on-demand HBO content? (other than GOT).

3. Are all archived old shows and movies that are available on HBONow also available on DirecTVNow?

4. Am I allowed to use HBOGo app if I have subscription to HBO on DirecTVNow? I tried logging into HBOGo app with my DirecTVNow credentials, but it was rejected.

Finally,

5. Any word when ChromeCasting will be supported by the DirecTVNow app on iOS platform?

Thanks for your patience.

Aloke

While I can't answer all your questions, I can tell you that you're correct that you'll want to start using the HBOGO app now instead of HBONow. When you get HBO as part of a package, your login credentials will work on GO but not NOW. It seems odd that yours in particular don't work. I have SlingTV and Dish and they both work..

While I can't answer all your questions, I can tell you that you're correct that you'll want to start using the HBOGO app now instead of HBONow. When you get HBO as part of a package, your login credentials will work on GO but not NOW. It seems odd that yours in particular don't work. I have SlingTV and Dish and they both work..
Thanks!

I was not logging into HBOGo correctly. I was using Direct TV as the provider, instead of DirecTV Now.

My other questions may be moot now that I can use HBOGo.

Yipee!! to saving $15/mo

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I signed up for one of the unlimited data ultra packages and as a result, I have a new DirecTVNow account.

The account shows HBO as a subscribed network. So far so good.

Before I cancel my existing HBONow subscription, I have a few questions about what to expect from watching HBO using DirecTVNow.

1. I notice that Game Of Thrones was available to stream live and on demand at the same time that it aired (9 PM Eastern). This is the same as in HBONow. This is good. Is DirecTVNow reliable in live-streaming and on-demand availability GOT on time?

2. I notice that other HBO shows that I watch on-demand the day after they are shown on HBO: Real Time w Bill Mahr, Last Week Tonight, are delayed on DirecTVNow. HBONow has those available promptly (like it does for all HBO shows). However, it takes 1.5 - 2 days for the on-demand show to become available on DirecTVNow. Is this normal? How many days does it take DirecTVNow to provide on-demand HBO content? (other than GOT).

3. Are all archived old shows and movies that are available on HBONow also available on DirecTVNow?

4. Am I allowed to use HBOGo app if I have subscription to HBO on DirecTVNow? I tried logging into HBOGo app with my DirecTVNow credentials, but it was rejected.

Finally,

5. Any word when ChromeCasting will be supported by the DirecTVNow app on iOS platform?

Thanks for your patience.

Aloke

FWIW: Live content, like Real Time with Bill Maher, is often delayed up to a day or so, whether you are on HBO Go, HBO Now, On Demand, HBO via Amazon, etc. (I've had all over the past year) I have complained to HBO about it. They are aware of the issue, but didn't give me any confidence that they were in any way intending to do anything about it. This is one of the reasons I am just happier to DVR it. Hopefully D* Now's DVR will work well enough to make it an option some day.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
FWIW: Live content, like Real Time with Bill Maher, is often delayed up to a day or so, whether you are on HBO Go, HBO Now, On Demand, HBO via Amazon, etc. (I've had all over the past year) I have complained to HBO about it. They are aware of the issue, but didn't give me any confidence that they were in any way intending to do anything about it. This is one of the reasons I am just happier to DVR it. Hopefully D* Now's DVR will work well enough to make it an option some day.
I watch HBO shows the next day, and HBONow and HBOGo is adequate for that purpose.
At least I can use HBOGo, which is much better than using DireTVNow for that purpose. I didn't realize earlier that HBO treats DirecTV and DirecTVNow as different providers...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts